Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:19 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,390,140 times

Advertisements

Kmarc , I'm glad you have been asking about this. I'm going to look at these areas as well.

Umatilla, Mt Dora- just have to get out of So Florida but don't want to make a mistake.

Keep posting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:48 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,118,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Kmarc , I'm glad you have been asking about this. I'm going to look at these areas as well.

Umatilla, Mt Dora- just have to get out of So Florida but don't want to make a mistake.

Keep posting!
We are going to be renting for a year and get to know the area before we buy anything. As you can see if you've read over the threads, there are very decent people here who are a wealth of information. Use the CD search and check out some of the old threads.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Personally, Mt. Dora and Umatilla would not be choices for me. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but the traffic we experienced driving through that area on our way to a place outside Orlando took them out of the running for us. And that was back in 2006!

You might want to check out High Springs, though.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:22 AM

3,234 posts, read 2,075,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Does Marion County have restrictions on oak tree removal? Do you have to get permits, or can you remove at your discretion?
These are the exceptions for which a permit is not required in Marion County when removing trees if outside of City of Ocala limits:

Quote:
(1) The removal of trees for purposes of conducting bona fide agricultural uses such as field crops, landscape nursery, citrus nursery, forest crops, animal husbandry, greenhouses, aquaculture, silviculture and the like, on lands with an agricultural zoning classification.
(2) Property used for bona fide agricultural use, as listed in Section 2.22.4.B(1) above, zoned other than agriculture and possessing an agriculture classification from the County Property Appraiser per § 193.461 FS. Lands with an urban land use designation may not use this exemption.
(3) On lands where either of the two exemptions above has enabled tree removal without a permit, no applications for any land use changes shall be made within one year of the tree removal date unless:
(a) The applicant provides tree replacement at 100 inches DBH of native trees per acre, or lower based on the pre-clearing density of existing trees, or
(b) The applicant/owner provides payment into a Tree Mitigation fund in the equivalent amount of planting 100 inches DBH of native trees per acre or lower, based on the pre-clearing density of existing trees.
(4) The removal of trees which have a DBH of less than 10 inches, except those trees which have been designated replacement and conservation trees pursuant to Section 6.7.9.G.
(5) The removal of trees on an individual parcel of record used or to be used for single-family dwellings.
(6) The removal of trees associated with the County's construction, rehabilitation, or routine maintenance of roads and drainage systems within public rights-of-way or easements.
(7) The removal of trees associated with the rehabilitation or routine maintenance of roads and drainage systems within private rights-of-way or easements.
(8) Tree removal or trimming for the construction of firebreaks, firelines, and surveying.
(9) The removal of trees which pose an immediate and direct threat to persons or property, and the removal of trees that are dead or dying due to natural causes.
(10) Transplanting of any size tree.
(11) Removal of trees required by a development plan which has been fully approved by the County.
(12) Removal of exotic tree or nuisance tree species as listed by the UF/IFAS Assessment of Non-native Plants, "Prohibited" or "Invasive - Not Recommended" tables, as updated.
So essentially, if not within city limits, you can do what you want - when you want.

Also, neither the State of Florida nor Marion County requires tree services to be licensed. As a matter of common sense, however, it is important to verify that a service possesses both bond and liability insurance.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:04 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,390,140 times
Quote:
Personally, Mt. Dora and Umatilla would not be choices for me. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but the traffic we experienced driving through that area on our way to a place outside Orlando took them out of the running for us. And that was back in 2006!

You might want to check out High Springs, though.
See, this is what has begun to worry me when I go up there.

It's still "countryish" compared to where I am, but I know from living here how fast that can change.

I know someone on 5 acres in Weirsdale who , while her place is lovely, has a terribly unstable internet connection and that's a deal-breaker for me.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
See, this is what has begun to worry me when I go up there.

I know someone on 5 acres in Weirsdale who , while her place is lovely, has a terribly unstable internet connection and that's a deal-breaker for me.
It would be a deal-breaker for me, too. My life depends on stable phone and internet.

Since I'm not yet living there, I can't really speak to your concerns. Some areas are more stable than others, and it looks like we'll be living in a stable area. At least, according to all reports from some people who live there.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
These are the exceptions for which a permit is not required in Marion County when removing trees if outside of City of Ocala limits:

So essentially, if not within city limits, you can do what you want - when you want.

Also, neither the State of Florida nor Marion County requires tree services to be licensed. As a matter of common sense, however, it is important to verify that a service possesses both bond and liability insurance.
Thanks for this, Opinion. This is good to know.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:46 PM

3,148 posts, read 3,098,613 times
Quote:
We are going to be renting for a year and get to know the area before we buy anything. As you can see if you've read over the threads, there are very decent people here who are a wealth of information. Use the CD search and check out some of the old threads.
This. We did exactly that when we moved up to Gainesville from Weston. Rented our home in Weston for a year, which paid out Weston mortgage and our rent. We had a chance to talk to neighbors & explore communities. I love it up here--the slower pace, the super friendly people, the lower cost of living--and I can't forget the quality health care. If we want the beach we make a fun weekend out of it and go to Jax, St. Augustine, or St. Pete.

Good luck with your journey!

Old 09-19-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
This. We did exactly that when we moved up to Gainesville from Weston. Rented our home in Weston for a year, which paid out Weston mortgage and our rent. We had a chance to talk to neighbors & explore communities. I love it up here--the slower pace, the super friendly people, the lower cost of living--and I can't forget the quality health care. If we want the beach we make a fun weekend out of it and go to Jax, St. Augustine, or St. Pete.

From what I've seen so far, I have to agree with you. Best bang for the buck in Florida, provided one is not dependent on employment opportunities that are only offered in the major metros.

I think, when someone is making a major move, they should make a list of what they want and what they don't want. If an area seems to offer more of what they want and less of what they don't want, it merits further exploration.

The second thing I would say is to trust your own instincts. If you visit an area and feel comfortable there and are generally well received by the locals and tradespeople in terms of hospitality and lodging and shopping, that's a good sign in my book. I failed to do this one time when we moved briefly to a town outside Orlando and it resulted in disaster for us. I should have known from our research trip what a mistake it would be, but we pushed on despite our better judgment. Wrong move.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:59 PM

813 posts, read 1,128,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post

How did Gainesville fair? We will be up "househunting" next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala