Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:26 PM

49 posts, read 106,371 times

Advertisements

We live on the SW 200 corridor and rent in Oak Run but are having a house built in the area known as Ocala Waterway or Kingsland County Estates which is just to the west of I-75 and a few miles north of Marion Oaks (but without the MO's issues) and I would say this (SW) is the best area because of convenience to everything. Traffic does back up and get busy on 200 but compared to Archer Rd in Gainesville where we previously lived, it's a cakewalk. Like previously said, the SW addresses east of I-75 are mostly horse farms and land. The only SW address to avoid is Zip 34473 although the Marion Oaks homes built north of 484 seem alright but might be too close to the problem areas.

One other thing i'll say about the SW is that during Hurricane Irma, Oak Run and a good portion of Kingsland Country east of SW 49th were some of the lucky pockets that didn't lose power during the storm because many of the power lines in this area were underground. The only issue we had here was a sinkhole formed on a hill just outside the community but those are an issue almost anywhere in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 08:53 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,111,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFNCO33 View Post
We live on the SW 200 corridor and rent in Oak Run but are having a house built in the area known as Ocala Waterway or Kingsland County Estates which is just to the west of I-75 and a few miles north of Marion Oaks (but without the MO's issues) and I would say this (SW) is the best area because of convenience to everything. Traffic does back up and get busy on 200 but compared to Archer Rd in Gainesville where we previously lived, it's a cakewalk. Like previously said, the SW addresses east of I-75 are mostly horse farms and land. The only SW address to avoid is Zip 34473 although the Marion Oaks homes built north of 484 seem alright but might be too close to the problem areas.

One other thing i'll say about the SW is that during Hurricane Irma, Oak Run and a good portion of Kingsland Country east of SW 49th were some of the lucky pockets that didn't lose power during the storm because many of the power lines in this area were underground. The only issue we had here was a sinkhole formed on a hill just outside the community but those are an issue almost anywhere in Florida.
Well, hi there, neighbor! We're in Oak Run's little sister up the road a piece. I have to admit, some of these communities along 200 are very nice for the money. And you can't beat the surrounding natural beauty. I went for a little walk in the woods today, it was heaven. I love the flora in the this part of Florida, the oaks and pines and palmettos and those vivid purple berries. We're sort of on a ridge here, which means the breezes tend to pull up from the lower areas to the west and back off 200, it's so quiet you can hear a pin drop at night. Very safe, too. And quite attractive.

Yeah, I've done a bit of bellyaching about 200, but I should just do what Dax said and get to know the back roads. Because honestly, there are lots of conveniences, just that it's not so convenient to get to them. I am a bit spoiled because I come from a community where I could literally walk to the bank, post office, grocery store, Walgreens, CVS, thrift store, etc. if I wanted to. The surrounding area was getting nasty, though. I like the people around these parts very much, so far.

Also I've found SECO, Marion Utilities and Century Link to all be great services. I consider myself lucky to have them.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:48 AM

529 posts, read 1,161,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm67 View Post
....I haven't gotten to the area...thus far shopping online for something to split my time until I decide to stop working.

So from a safety/crime perspective is Southwest, Northwest section best. Legally realtors aren't to tell you about safety or cleanliness of neighborhoods & how well kept they are. I'm surprised they can't answer those questions. I'd understand if it was a descriminstion question but general appearance & safety?

I'm currently looking (online) at a place in Ocala East Villas and another property
On SE 22nd pl. Any input on those areas? I had asked the realtor if Ocala E Villas was 55+ and she didn't know nor if any amenities were offered.

Anyone know about Fruitland Park area? Specifically the MH parks around Lake Griffin.

Thank you for any infor input.
Don't know specifics on your East Ocala locations. Sorry. Lake Griffin is a neat area but not sure if there was any flooding issues. Also, be aware that The Villages are buying up much of Fruitland Park. They have already locked in land parcels south of the turnpike and 75 interchange.

Dax

Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 AM

Ha-ha, and here I was thinking that Quail Meadows was the answer to my prayers: concrete block houses, low HOA fees, a little shopping plaza that is within walking distance, less traffic and easy, direct route into Ocala. Oh, and all that undeveloped land. What could possibly go wrong?

Old 10-26-2017, 08:02 PM

282 posts, read 230,103 times
If you don't mind higher HOA fees and stricter rules, you could just take a look at the Villages. It's enormous but also self-contained. You don't have to go anywhere outside the Villages to find everything you need from supermarkets to movie theatres, live entertainment, gas stations, hospitals, cancer centers, optometrists, etc. Golf cart community so you don't have to drive a car at all, it's all accessible by cart. Gets crazy in the winter when the snowbirds show up but it'd probably be the best time to spend a weekend there (they have a hotel too), take the official tour. You can also rent one of the homes for a week at a time, that way you end up as a "member" for the whole week. The only place that's off limits to you would be the upstairs members-only restaurant in the main village square, Katie Bell's.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
If you don't mind higher HOA fees and stricter rules, you could just take a look at the Villages. It's enormous but also self-contained. You don't have to go anywhere outside the Villages to find everything you need from supermarkets to movie theatres, live entertainment, gas stations, hospitals, cancer centers, optometrists, etc. Golf cart community so you don't have to drive a car at all, it's all accessible by cart. Gets crazy in the winter when the snowbirds show up but it'd probably be the best time to spend a weekend there (they have a hotel too), take the official tour. You can also rent one of the homes for a week at a time, that way you end up as a "member" for the whole week. The only place that's off limits to you would be the upstairs members-only restaurant in the main village square, Katie Bell's.
I appreciate the thought, but not interested in the Villages.

Last edited by kmarc; 10-26-2017 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: added a letter

Old 11-11-2017, 03:01 PM

268 posts, read 224,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
It wasn't too bad when we were looking around a month back, but since we got here, it's like we brought the traffic with us.

The snow birds are coming back. The traffic will get worse. Then they start to leave in April sometime.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
The snow birds are coming back. The traffic will get worse. Then they start to leave in April sometime.
We experienced the whole "traffic getting worse" during "the season" thing where we came from. Looking back, it really wasn't that bad. What was bad was that one day during the summer, I was sitting in wall to wall traffic on the main drag and realized that "the season" didn't make much of a difference anymore because the whole area had developed to the point we had plenty of traffic year round.

Also there seemed to be a trend of more former snowbirds opting to sell their residence up north, and leaving for only a couple of months to stay with family or friends. Many can no longer afford to maintain two residences.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:24 PM

49 posts, read 106,371 times
The worst traffic seems to be the last two weeks of the year when it feels like every person in the country is heading to FL south on I-75. Even this afternoon coming back from the Villages and driving along CR 475, I-75 South looked stacked from at least the 484 exit all the way to Wildwood. Development definitely has a lot to do with it. I've traveled around FL for the last 20 years and I can't remember 75 getting that bad until several years ago.

Ok, I have to throw out another plus for the SW side. According to Marion County records, Wawa is finally going to build an Ocala location on SR 200 west of I-75. From what I can tell from looking at the records it will be on the corner of SR 200 & SW 43rd St Rd near that abandoned car dealership where a lot of that land was already cleared b/c I thought the owners were trying hard to get Costco to take that site. Looks like they're selling parcels of the land so that still might happen, but glad Wawa is going to be on this side. Hopefully some of those locations will be open by next summer.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFNCO33 View Post
The worst traffic seems to be the last two weeks of the year when it feels like every person in the country is heading to FL south on I-75. Even this afternoon coming back from the Villages and driving along CR 475, I-75 South looked stacked from at least the 484 exit all the way to Wildwood. Development definitely has a lot to do with it. I've traveled around FL for the last 20 years and I can't remember 75 getting that bad until several years ago.

Ok, I have to throw out another plus for the SW side. According to Marion County records, Wawa is finally going to build an Ocala location on SR 200 west of I-75. From what I can tell from looking at the records it will be on the corner of SR 200 & SW 43rd St Rd near that abandoned car dealership where a lot of that land was already cleared b/c I thought the owners were trying hard to get Costco to take that site. Looks like they're selling parcels of the land so that still might happen, but glad Wawa is going to be on this side. Hopefully some of those locations will be open by next summer.
What's your opinion on 441/301 (between Summerfield and the city of Ocala) vs 200 (between 475 and the city of Ocala)? Do you feel one is more navigable than the other, or about the same? Is there any advantage to living off either corridor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala