Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 03:41 PM

529 posts, read 1,166,558 times

Advertisements

Things are a-popping in Marion County.

From the StarBanner:

The state Department of Transportation's tentative five-year work program includes $1.66 million for design/preliminary engineering work for the new Interstate 75 interchange at Northwest 49th Street. The money will be spent in 2022.

This interchange will serve the commerce park just east of I-75 that houses FedEx and soon will house AutoZone and Chewy. Building the interchange, which will be just north of the existing U.S. 27 interchange, has been a top priority for county government.

The five-year plan also includes $1.445 million for preliminary engineering and right of way acquisition to improve the I-75 interchange at County Road 484 near Belleview. That work will be done in 2019. Also scheduled for that project: $1.1 million for right-of-way acquisition in 2020 and $8.18 million, mostly for construction, in 2021.

Improvements will be made on the east (Southwest 20th Avenue) and west (starting at County Road 475A) sides of the interstate. Improving that interchange area is an important part of the county/private sector plan for a new commerce park just west of I-75 off CR 484. (See related item below.)

In other development news:

Restaurants coming: The new Bojangles' under construction on State Road 200 near the Market Street at Heath Brook mall could open as soon as December. A new Zaxby's is being built on U.S. 441 North near 35th Street. And there is a sign for a new cafe coming to the S-Curve area just south of downtown Ocala.

Southwest 49th Avenue: Extending this road is a major project for county government and is among the signature works supported by the voter-approved sales tax increase for capital needs. But it should be noted that the state is kicking in, as well.

The biggest Marion County expenditure for fiscal year 2018-19 in DOT's five-year work plan is $16.29 million for this project.

More from the DOT work plan: The other major expenditures set for 2018-19, in descending order:

• $12.46 million to resurface State Road 200 between Southwest 60th Avenue and CR 484.

• $7.88 million to resurface U.S. 27 between County Road 326 and the Levy County line.

• $7.07 million to improve the weigh station on I-75

• $5.24 million to four-lane State Road 40 to east of County Road 314. This is the single most expensive project on the five-year plan.

• $4.21 million to add lanes and reconstruct U.S. 41 from 111th Place to SR 40

To learn more, view the DOT plan at http://bit.ly/2gu3WHO .

Marion Oaks commerce park: The County Commission last week approved a "memorandum of terms" for the new commerce park on the south side of CR 484 a few miles west of I-75.

The McGinley Family has owned the land for years and now is looking, with support from local government and economic development officials, to develop what's known as the Florida Crossroads Commerce Park , which will be similar to the FedEx-anchored park north of U.S. 27 and just east of Interstate 75.

The memo explains how infrastructure will be handled and spells out what the developer and government are agreeing to do to make way for the park.

Truck repair shop: Dad's Truck Repair, 3352 NW Blitchton Road, Ocala, has filed a site plan application with the city for a 5,445-square-foot truck repair garage featuring four service bays and an office area.

The owner is Ocala-based TM Davis Holding LLC, which bought the land from Midwest Hay for $1.2 million earlier this year, according to land records on file with the court clerk's office.

The garage will sit on 6.79 acres. Michael W. Radcliffe Engineering, Inc., is handling the preliminary work.

Funding infusion for Creative Foam Corp.: A private equity firm has made a "significant investment" in this Fenton, Michigan-based company, whose subsidiary, Creative Foam Medical Systems, has a manufacturing facility in Ocala.

Terms of the investment were not announced, but Creative Foam said it will help the company's growth and expansion.

"Creative Foam Medical Systems is a contract manufacturer of diagnostic imaging equipment that includes RF flex coils, patient positioners, system table pads and acoustical treatments," Enterprise Florida has previously reported.

The private equity firm, called Industrial Opportunity Partners , is based in Evanston, Illinois and focuses on helping middle-market manufacturing companies with revenues ranging between $30 million and $350 million.

Silver Springs Sandhill: As expected, the state has acquired the 465-acre Silver Springs Sandhill site near Coehadjoe Park. Marion County Parks and Recreation will manage the site, which is less than a mile from the headsprings of Silver Springs.

The site has great environmental value. Its neighbors include Indian Lake State Forest and Coehadjoe, which is at 4225 NE 35th St., Ocala.

A sales price was not announced, but based on land records on file at the court clerk's office, it was about $5.19 million.

Contact Jim Ross at 671-6412 or jim.ross@starbanner.com . Follow him on Twitter @jimrossOSB .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 PM

49 posts, read 106,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Things are a-popping in Marion County.

From the StarBanner:

The state Department of Transportation's tentative five-year work program includes $1.66 million for design/preliminary engineering work for the new Interstate 75 interchange at Northwest 49th Street. The money will be spent in 2022.

This interchange will serve the commerce park just east of I-75 that houses FedEx and soon will house AutoZone and Chewy. Building the interchange, which will be just north of the existing U.S. 27 interchange, has been a top priority for county government.

The five-year plan also includes $1.445 million for preliminary engineering and right of way acquisition to improve the I-75 interchange at County Road 484 near Belleview. That work will be done in 2019. Also scheduled for that project: $1.1 million for right-of-way acquisition in 2020 and $8.18 million, mostly for construction, in 2021.

Improvements will be made on the east (Southwest 20th Avenue) and west (starting at County Road 475A) sides of the interstate. Improving that interchange area is an important part of the county/private sector plan for a new commerce park just west of I-75 off CR 484. (See related item below.)

In other development news:

Restaurants coming: The new Bojangles' under construction on State Road 200 near the Market Street at Heath Brook mall could open as soon as December. A new Zaxby's is being built on U.S. 441 North near 35th Street. And there is a sign for a new cafe coming to the S-Curve area just south of downtown Ocala.

Southwest 49th Avenue: Extending this road is a major project for county government and is among the signature works supported by the voter-approved sales tax increase for capital needs. But it should be noted that the state is kicking in, as well.

The biggest Marion County expenditure for fiscal year 2018-19 in DOT's five-year work plan is $16.29 million for this project.

More from the DOT work plan: The other major expenditures set for 2018-19, in descending order:

• $12.46 million to resurface State Road 200 between Southwest 60th Avenue and CR 484.

• $7.88 million to resurface U.S. 27 between County Road 326 and the Levy County line.

• $7.07 million to improve the weigh station on I-75

• $5.24 million to four-lane State Road 40 to east of County Road 314. This is the single most expensive project on the five-year plan.

• $4.21 million to add lanes and reconstruct U.S. 41 from 111th Place to SR 40

To learn more, view the DOT plan at http://bit.ly/2gu3WHO .

Marion Oaks commerce park: The County Commission last week approved a "memorandum of terms" for the new commerce park on the south side of CR 484 a few miles west of I-75.

The McGinley Family has owned the land for years and now is looking, with support from local government and economic development officials, to develop what's known as the Florida Crossroads Commerce Park , which will be similar to the FedEx-anchored park north of U.S. 27 and just east of Interstate 75.

The memo explains how infrastructure will be handled and spells out what the developer and government are agreeing to do to make way for the park.

Truck repair shop: Dad's Truck Repair, 3352 NW Blitchton Road, Ocala, has filed a site plan application with the city for a 5,445-square-foot truck repair garage featuring four service bays and an office area.

The owner is Ocala-based TM Davis Holding LLC, which bought the land from Midwest Hay for $1.2 million earlier this year, according to land records on file with the court clerk's office.

The garage will sit on 6.79 acres. Michael W. Radcliffe Engineering, Inc., is handling the preliminary work.

Funding infusion for Creative Foam Corp.: A private equity firm has made a "significant investment" in this Fenton, Michigan-based company, whose subsidiary, Creative Foam Medical Systems, has a manufacturing facility in Ocala.

Terms of the investment were not announced, but Creative Foam said it will help the company's growth and expansion.

"Creative Foam Medical Systems is a contract manufacturer of diagnostic imaging equipment that includes RF flex coils, patient positioners, system table pads and acoustical treatments," Enterprise Florida has previously reported.

The private equity firm, called Industrial Opportunity Partners , is based in Evanston, Illinois and focuses on helping middle-market manufacturing companies with revenues ranging between $30 million and $350 million.

Silver Springs Sandhill: As expected, the state has acquired the 465-acre Silver Springs Sandhill site near Coehadjoe Park. Marion County Parks and Recreation will manage the site, which is less than a mile from the headsprings of Silver Springs.

The site has great environmental value. Its neighbors include Indian Lake State Forest and Coehadjoe, which is at 4225 NE 35th St., Ocala.

A sales price was not announced, but based on land records on file at the court clerk's office, it was about $5.19 million.

Contact Jim Ross at 671-6412 or jim.ross@starbanner.com . Follow him on Twitter @jimrossOSB .
Eh, i have mixed views on this I-75 Interchange. They just couldn't improve the US 27 interchange? I'm mixed on it b/c I wanted to see a new interchange at SW 95th that got axed b/c of the FedEx interchange project. At least the 49th Ave project is going through. Coming home from work each night down SW 60th the people drive crazy. You have folks in the left land doing 30 and people in the right doing 65 to try to get back in the left before the right lane ends at SW 95th. I hope they finish that project soon.

I was also surprised to see that they already started the construction on the Wawa at SR 40. It's about time we were getting one just wish they would build one out on the 200 corridor along with a Culver's.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:08 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,138,248 times
Haven't been here long enough to understand what all this means, but I appreciate the info, Dax. Two things popped out at me: The Silver Springs Sandhill acquisition, as I always like environmental/public park expansions. And the Creative Foam capital infusion, which is more exciting than another Amazon warehouse in Florida.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ocala area seems to have somewhat more manufacturing than other parts of Florida.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFNCO33 View Post
Eh, i have mixed views on this I-75 Interchange. They just couldn't improve the US 27 interchange? I'm mixed on it b/c I wanted to see a new interchange at SW 95th that got axed b/c of the FedEx interchange project. At least the 49th Ave project is going through. Coming home from work each night down SW 60th the people drive crazy. You have folks in the left land doing 30 and people in the right doing 65 to try to get back in the left before the right lane ends at SW 95th. I hope they finish that project soon.

I was also surprised to see that they already started the construction on the Wawa at SR 40. It's about time we were getting one just wish they would build one out on the 200 corridor along with a Culver's.
I know what you mean, although I don't have to deal with it. Lessee......95 st exchange. That was originally pushed by Steve Rudniyan who bought up land on the east side of 75 in anticipation of that interchange. He didn't expect the fierce pushback from the horse farm owners and the 475A preservation folks and figured he could roll over Leighton Estates. While the crash cooled his jets, bookend development on 475A (27th Ave) made inroads into the preservation efforts. The 42nd st flyover, pending development of Ocala Stud, the Horse Park, and the massive commercialization planned for the 484 end, coupled with a population boom and stressed travel routes point to a 95 st interchange sooner than later. Right now, the big battle is how far west to take it. The terminus has always been shown to be 475A, but there are those who want a direct route to Belleview, which, I suspect, is another behind the scenes game being played.

SW 60th is another can of worms. It could be widened down to 103 St Rd but then you would have to widen 103rd east and west. It is being planned as evidenced by the built-in easements and updated utility and power lines, but not yet on the rolls. And then 60th Ave dead ends at Oak Run. A stop light would have to be installed. The widening of 49th is a welcome and needed improvement but Deltona and Marion Oaks screwed up direct access to 484. You have to make that jog down by the school. I do feel bad for the houses facing 49th. Many are trying to unload now. But seriously, doesn't anyone look at a map when they build?

And just wait until the Melnyk farm at 60th and 200 starts blowing and going. That is going to be another game changer.

Dax

Old 10-23-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Haven't been here long enough to understand what all this means, but I appreciate the info, Dax. Two things popped out at me: The Silver Springs Sandhill acquisition, as I always like environmental/public park expansions. And the Creative Foam capital infusion, which is more exciting than another Amazon warehouse in Florida.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ocala area seems to have somewhat more manufacturing than other parts of Florida.
Yep. Location, Location, Location transportation-wise. Well, that and a dirt cheap labor force, an unsophisticated County Government, cheap land, cheap water, cheap taxes, and fewer weather-related problems. What more could you ask for?

Dax

Old 10-25-2017, 09:58 AM

Speaking of Steve Rudianyn and his development interests, the following is a notification of a meeting at McPherson:

This is the meeting concerning the parcel of property that sits on the corner of SW 95th St Road and SW 62nd Ave. Rd. This is the piece we defeated a year ago. They are now back with a PUD, that is asking to change from R-1 Single Family Dwellings to Medium Density and High Density Family Dwellings. I am going to attach the agenda, the letter from the Committee that reviews the PUDs and then makes recommendations that will be addressed at the initial Planning and Zoning meeting on October 30th at 5:30 at the McPherson Governmental Complex.

This planned PUD IS across from Freedom Library. I forgot he ha interests east of I-75 along SW 95. Happy traveling, AFNCO. SW 60 turns into SW 62nd Ave Rd at your favorite intersection.

Dax

Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 AM

" asking to change from R-1 Single Family Dwellings to Medium Density and High Density Family Dwellings."

I don't know anything about this, but it looks as if someone is doubling down. "you defeated our single family dwellings, ok, now we'll just show you. How do you like THIS?"

Dax, sounds like you're involved in some good work.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:01 PM

If anyone local is interested, subscribe to NextDoor dotcom. Add all neighboring communities to your own. Dig a bit in the documents section as well. That will give you a bit of history. Looks like Cherrywood, Meadow Glenn, Countryside Farms, and others are in for a rude awakening.

I just read a lot and have been here long enough to remember and recognize some of the players.

Dax

Old 10-25-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
If anyone local is interested, subscribe to NextDoor dotcom. Add all neighboring communities to your own. Dig a bit in the documents section as well. That will give you a bit of history. Looks like Cherrywood, Meadow Glenn, Countryside Farms, and others are in for a rude awakening.

I just read a lot and have been here long enough to remember and recognize some of the players.

Dax
Interesting you should mention Cherrywood, because at first glance it seems like a rather nice 55+ community and I like that the homes are concrete block. However, upon further research, it seems there's a sort of arrangement regarding the developer. I haven't really made sense of it, but my rudimentary understanding is that there is no HOA, instead, the developer retains a financial interest in the community and receives a monthly fee that covers the amenities, which a buyer agrees to when they purchase a property there. That was a new one on me, although I guess it is done elsewhere, I'm just not familiar with it. Sounds a tad feudal to me.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Interesting you should mention Cherrywood, because at first glance it seems like a rather nice 55+ community and I like that the homes are concrete block. However, upon further research, it seems there's a sort of arrangement regarding the developer. I haven't really made sense of it, but my rudimentary understanding is that there is no HOA, instead, the developer retains a financial interest in the community and receives a monthly fee that covers the amenities, which a buyer agrees to when they purchase a property there. That was a new one on me, although I guess it is done elsewhere, I'm just not familiar with it. Sounds a tad feudal to me.
Yep. That's a nasty little battle in Cherrywood that has been fought for years and the residents have found no friends in the courts or Tallahassee. Hardwood Trails was another one. Not sure how that ended up. I have been curious as to how Meadow Glenn developers will sunset their control, if ever. Florida sure is an interesting study.

Dax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala