Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 06:32 PM

529 posts, read 1,162,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
So does anyone know what roads does the county maintain without question or assessment? Or where I could find the information? Because that would be another alternative. Buy a house that fronts on those roads, or just off those roads. Or fronts/or is just off a state road.
Check my post above on Sun Country. It gives a phone number to start, or you could call one of our County Commissioners but I doubt anyone has a definitive compilation. Like Comprehensive Land Use Plans, I suspect it is subject to change based on who is doing the asking.

Of course, I could be wrong
Dax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 07:03 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,119,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Check my post above on Sun Country. It gives a phone number to start, or you could call one of our County Commissioners but I doubt anyone has a definitive compilation. Like Comprehensive Land Use Plans, I suspect it is subject to change based on who is doing the asking.

Of course, I could be wrong
Dax
I called one of our County Commissioners on Monday regarding another matter. Still waiting for a call back from her office. What we have here, is a failure to communicate.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:36 PM

529 posts, read 1,162,867 times
Quote:
I called one of our County Commissioners on Monday regarding another matter. Still waiting for a call back from her office. What we have here, is a failure to communicate.

I hear Ms. Bryant is notorious for not replying promptly, but she is infinitely easier to speak with (read: "bless your heart" concerned ) than Carl "ain't nothing wrong with dirt roads - I live on one" Zalak.

Dax

Old 11-01-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
I hear Ms. Bryant is notorious for not replying promptly, but she is infinitely easier to speak with (read: "bless your heart" concerned ) than Carl "ain't nothing wrong with dirt roads - I live on one" Zalak.

Dax
Ah, yes, "bless your heart", the Southern way of cussing at you in code.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 PM

Any relation to Anita?

Old 11-01-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I happen to like Southerners in general, and I completely understand how and why they evolved the "bless your heart" thing. In fact, I've even used it myself on occasion, right here on CD.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:02 AM

3,234 posts, read 2,075,983 times
Quote:
I absolutely loathe this saying. Its meaning in the general sense is inherently ambiguous, and, the intent of its usage is often (knowingly or not) dehumanizing and/or intellectually dismissive to an extent that rivals or exceeds the unacceptability of using the N-word.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I absolutely loathe this saying. Its meaning in the general sense is inherently ambiguous, and, the intent of its usage is often (knowingly or not) dehumanizing and/or intellectually dismissive to an extent that rivals or exceeds the unacceptability of using the N-word.
Well, I shouldn't have taken the detour into commenting on terminology. The point is, this situation with the neighborhood roads here is a real mind-bender, but I am glad to know about it. It has given me a new perspective. I used to think that living in a traditional neighborhood as opposed to a private, deed-restricted community was a way of avoiding HOA overreach. I just found out that in this area, your neighbors can really stick it to you without benefit of HOA, should the majority decide that the roads in the neighborhood need repaired.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:55 AM

3,234 posts, read 2,075,983 times
Quote:
Well, I shouldn't have taken the detour into commenting on terminology. The point is, this situation with the neighborhood roads here is a real mind-bender, but I am glad to know about it. It has given me a new perspective. I used to think that living in a traditional neighborhood as opposed to a private, deed-restricted community was a way of avoiding HOA overreach. I just found out that in this area, your neighbors can really stick it to you without benefit of HOA, should the majority decide that the roads in the neighborhood need repaired.
Yes, absolutely. You can sometimes be forced into paying to be hooked up to public water as well. That bill also averages in the thousands per residence and it may only involve a comparative handful of outlying homes within a greater community.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Yes, absolutely. You can sometimes be forced into paying to be hooked up to public water as well. That bill also averages in the thousands per residence and it may only involve a comparative handful of outlying homes within a greater community.
Right, the water/sewer situation is another issue, although I don't think it is unique to Marion County. Yes, you could purchase a home on well and septic, or even just septic, and if the local governing authority decides to bring public water and sewer, or even just sewer into your neighborhood, you get the bill without any say-so.

In light of the road situation, you bring up an interesting issue. Who pays if the water/sewer infrastructure fails in your neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala