U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 07:46 PM

5,686 posts, read 5,704,223 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I was browsing the Ocala area RE listings and wow, it seems like they're really slappin' 'em up in that area. Why? I thought the area was in decline. Are they trying to revive it? Seriously, it seems like there's more houses for sale there than anywhere else in Marion County.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 01:55 PM

270 posts, read 152,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Just curious. I was browsing the Ocala area RE listings and wow, it seems like they're really slappin' 'em up in that area. Why? I thought the area was in decline. Are they trying to revive it? Seriously, it seems like there's more houses for sale there than anywhere else in Marion County.
When we decided to move to the Ocala area we were highly discouraged about looking for a house in that area. Apparently there is a lot of crime and drugs there. Houses are affordable because of that. We found a nice place in Silver Springs (not the shores) in the Ocala National Forest and love it here. Almost everyone is friendly and from somewhere else. It's quiet, things don't get stolen, we all look out for and help each other. We're about 12 to 15 minutes from the stores.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
When we decided to move to the Ocala area we were highly discouraged about looking for a house in that area. Apparently there is a lot of crime and drugs there. Houses are affordable because of that. We found a nice place in Silver Springs (not the shores) in the Ocala National Forest and love it here. Almost everyone is friendly and from somewhere else. It's quiet, things don't get stolen, we all look out for and help each other. We're about 12 to 15 minutes from the stores.
Yes, I've heard that Silver Springs is nice. I still can't wrap my mind around that arrangement of living in the National Forest, but it sounds interesting.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:05 PM

2,011 posts, read 1,264,725 times
Quote:
Yes, I've heard that Silver Springs is nice. I still can't wrap my mind around that arrangement of living in the National Forest, but it sounds interesting.
Just depends on where you live within a given community. Florida in general seems to be strange like that to people who've relocated here from another state and are accustomed to the less desirable elements being concentrated into low-income urban areas. In Florida, part of most non-gated/non-pre-planned neighborhoods can be peaceful and quiet while another part as little as a mile or so down the road can be crawling with suburbanized hood-rats or semi-rural hillbillies.

There are sections of Silver Springs Shores that are perfectly fine to live in, though it is indeed true that they are outnumbered by sections that are noticeably more prone to problems with hard drugs, home invasion, and associated violence.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:40 AM

270 posts, read 152,407 times
Quote:
There are small towns and subdivisions and private homes here in the ONF. The state did not confiscate the land when the Forest was designated a NF. The people and stores already here stayed. I live in a small private, no HMOs, sand-road subdivision. I think there are about 50, maybe 60 homes. We all have from 1/4 acre to 2 acres of land.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
There are small towns and subdivisions and private homes here in the ONF. The state did not confiscate the land when the Forest was designated a NF. The people and stores already here stayed. I live in a small private, no HMOs, sand-road subdivision. I think there are about 50, maybe 60 homes. We all have from 1/4 acre to 2 acres of land.
So are those grandfathered in, with no further development allowed, or at least restricted?

Old 11-14-2017, 04:47 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,964,617 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that not all of the city of Silver Springs is in the ONF but most of it is very close. Silver Springs shores is not in the ONF.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Keep in mind that not all of the city of Silver Springs is in the ONF but most of it is very close. Silver Springs shores is not in the ONF.
My apologies for running the two concepts together. Yes, I do realize Silver Springs is not in the ONF. And that there is a difference between SS and SSS.

I still wish I could find that TV commercial from the 1960s where Red Buttons was promoting Silver Springs Shores to retirees in the suburban NY area, but since I can't, I'm going over to the general Florida forum and post the 1970s promo film for Florida, which was a brilliant piece of promotion that started it all.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:31 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,964,617 times
I did an internet search and only found an advertisement by Lloyd Bridges for property/land in Silver Springs, FL. No matches for Red Buttons. Might have been a local tv ad and not found on Google.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I did an internet search and only found an advertisement by Lloyd Bridges for property/land in Silver Springs, FL. No matches for Red Buttons. Might have been a local tv ad and not found on Google.
Yes, I saw the one with Bridges in my search. The Red Buttons commercial pre-dated that one by about two decades, and yes, it was on the local network affiliate stations, usually in the late afternoons during the winter months on the cheap slots between soap operas and the evening news. I posted about it in another thread. My memory is a little fuzzy since I was barely in school, maybe kindergarten, but I think he was promoting land lots, maybe some homes, too. The one thing that sticks was the pitch "Come on down to Silver Springs Shores!". Even the grown-ups where I grew up used to mimic that line to each other, it was sort of a joke at the time.

If it was an old kinescope format it was probably destroyed, unfortunately.

On another note, there is a real estate agent here in Ocala who has an extensive site with blog posts about all the different neighborhoods, HOAs, 55+ communities, all-age communities, etc. It really is a work of art and incredibly detailed and he's always updating it. I was reading some of his posts and the posts by people thinking of re-locating to the area and it was interesting to see that a number of people seem to be under the impression that Silver Springs Shores is a retirement area. He always has to correct them on this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or