Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 PM

17 posts, read 23,208 times

Advertisements

Pros and cons of each?

My wife and I spent a few days last week looking at homes, mostly in Ocala Palms. While I liked the homes I saw, the clubhouse was getting a new driveway/paving so we weren't able to see it. We did get to see the clubhouse and activities at Spruce Creek and were very impressed with them, but were not as impressed with the homes floor-plans. OTOW was not available for us to inspect closely. As we currently live in Texas, it's not feasible for us to come out to Ocala lots of times to look around.

My wife is concerned that while all of these are gated, Ocala Palms is not fully "enclosed". I, on the other hand, am concerned about feeling like I'm in a prison.

We would love to get some first-hand reports from folks living in these communities about how they feel about things like quality of life, real social activities and overall feelings about these places. As to our needs and/or wants, we are not golfers (so that's not important to us), we would like a 3/2/2 or 2/2/2 with den. CBC for under $165k.

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 06:12 PM

150 posts, read 231,007 times
I rented in OTOW, and considered it "Living Under the Dome". Which can be a positive or negative, depending on your perspective.

I can't speak to the activities and whatnot of Ocala Palms (though I've been through that neighborhood and the dearth of trees really turns me off.) OTOW has 400 activities going on every week; you can literally go doe something all day long and most nights there. If you're retired and want that lifestyle and don't mind the $400+ HOA monthly fee, it's a great place.

It has basically a condo setup--you don't own the land, the exterior is taken care of in most sections, and they'll assess for a new roof (at inflated prices) about every ten years. The grounds are beautifully maintained, but there is still a lot of construction going on, and with no service entrance, all those big trucks come right down 94th Ave every single weekday.

165K for a CB will be hard to do anywhere *except for* OTOW or Quail Meadow. The villas at OTOW can be had for as little as 65K or you can spend 150+ for a SF home.

I didn't feel at all imprisoned there; with the golf courses and mature sections of Friendship Village and Americana, the tropical landscaping made it quite charming coming in on 99th or 94th. They do have a weekend hotel type package for potential buyers. Worth checking out if you decide to come for an extended visit.

Have you thought about renting first? Even a 6-month stay would let you get a real feel for the various options--Oak Run is one too though I'm not sure of the price range for their CB homes.

Good luck with your search!

Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,113,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PairsNPaint View Post
Pros and cons of each?

My wife and I spent a few days last week looking at homes, mostly in Ocala Palms. While I liked the homes I saw, the clubhouse was getting a new driveway/paving so we weren't able to see it. We did get to see the clubhouse and activities at Spruce Creek and were very impressed with them, but were not as impressed with the homes floor-plans. OTOW was not available for us to inspect closely. As we currently live in Texas, it's not feasible for us to come out to Ocala lots of times to look around.

My wife is concerned that while all of these are gated, Ocala Palms is not fully "enclosed". I, on the other hand, am concerned about feeling like I'm in a prison.

We would love to get some first-hand reports from folks living in these communities about how they feel about things like quality of life, real social activities and overall feelings about these places. As to our needs and/or wants, we are not golfers (so that's not important to us), we would like a 3/2/2 or 2/2/2 with den. CBC for under $165k.

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful replies!
I'll be interested to see what the responses are, I'm curious myself. I'd like to get a feel for whether 441 is more navigable than 200. All the communities you mention have golf.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:35 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,241,569 times
I would try and spend a couple of weeks in the area if you can.
OTOW started back in the 80's and probably has years of building left. Thus the grounds should continue to be well maintained. The older recreation buildings have or are being renovated, gym being added etc.
OTOW is not easy to understand as it is actually several communities combined. The oldest section is attached single story homes that I view as an apartment. Almost all outside work is done for you. You can also buy the land and home in the Candler and Ingo sections (maybe a resale in your price range, do a search on Zillow https://www.zillow.com/) Indigo may fit your price range for a new home but you do not get the OTOTW amenities without paying extra (but you do have your own amenities and just updated and expanded).
Use Google to get an idea of what is around the communities. OTOW has two small shopping centers you can get to by golf cart and working on getting to a third. Look at rt 200. Some think the traffic is bad but you have lots of business and that is a plus. OTOW also has a town square, learning center and live performance at a production theater which is being expanded.
Try the 3 day vacations and meet with the sales men for what ever community you pick.
You will not feel closed in at OTOW. Also an inside pool for OTOW residences.
I assume you have read the OTOW site and seen the building videos etc.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Why not just settle on one of those communities, move and rent for a year or two while you explore your options? Either OTOW or Spruce Creek should be fine. You might find out that an entirely different community than the ones you've seen would be right for you. It will give you time to get to know the area, develop contacts, listen to comments from people who live in different communities, etc.

I have discovered (so far) that there is a shortage of modestly priced concrete block homes in the 55+ communities, with the exception of Cherrywood, which is not gated and seems to have some sort of unique common area arrangement with the developer. However, it does seem to have the best priced CB houses in a 55+ setting.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:46 PM

Be sure to look at the quality of the road maintenance, general maintenance and utility cost of each community. Also the rules.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Be sure to look at the quality of the road maintenance, general maintenance and utility cost of each community. Also the rules.
And check the reserves, too.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 PM

529 posts, read 1,161,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I'll be interested to see what the responses are, I'm curious myself. I'd like to get a feel for whether 441 is more navigable than 200. All the communities you mention have golf.
I'm confused, kmarc. What communities are you looking at on 441? Are you confusing the Spruce Creek down by The Villages with Spruce Creek Preserve on 41 or Spruce Creek North off of SW 103rd Ave Rd? Or am I missing something?

IMHO, 441 south of Belleview is well on its way to horrendous, and progressively worse the farther south you go. North of Ocala, you have what is quickly becoming a major transportation artery tying into the split at US 301. Not many subdivisions along 441 that I can recall that meet your wants.

Dax

Old 11-07-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
I'm confused, kmarc. What communities are you looking at on 441? Are you confusing the Spruce Creek down by The Villages with Spruce Creek Preserve on 41 or Spruce Creek North off of SW 103rd Ave Rd? Or am I missing something?

IMHO, 441 south of Belleview is well on its way to horrendous, and progressively worse the farther south you go. North of Ocala, you have what is quickly becoming a major transportation artery tying into the split at US 301. Not many subdivisions along 441 that I can recall that meet your wants.

Dax
LOL, Dax, it's taken me this long to sort out all the Spruce Creeks. All FOUR of them. Two off 441. One of them off 441 MIGHT work for me, as it has some block homes and you can cut over to Lake Weir. Yes, that's the one north of the Villages and east of 441. So far, between 441 and 200, toss up for me.

What the heck is it with these frame and siding homes? Don't get me wrong, I'm living in one right now and they're nice looking enough, fairly easy to maintain, but geez, the walls are thin. OTOH, that's what I may purchase in the end.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
And check the reserves, too.
Yes, and OTOW has none. Sill subsidized by builder, but you are correct to understand this and to be carefull if the community does not have a reserve. You can also ask about delinquent home owners, foreclosures etc. Good idea as a lot of communities could have financial problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala