Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,159 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I are looking at homes for sale in the Ocala area. We are a young couple in our mid twenties. We've found a home we are interested in, but it says it is in the Silver Spring Shores neighborhood. I've been reading mixed reviews on the area, and a lot of reviews I've read have been older. Looking for some fresh input if anyone can help.

The house is located on Silver Place and is about 5 minutes away from the Super Walmart on Bahia Avenue.

If this is an area you do not suggest are there any specific areas/neighborhoods you do?

Looking forward to your responses and thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 09:38 PM

6,392 posts, read 10,189,044 times
I suggest you check the FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) internet site for criminal activity. Some areas of the Shores do have higher crime rates. Unfortunately, a Florida Realtor cannot offer such opinions. The information is readily available and if you can speak to some neighbors nearby, you will get more information. Best wishes.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:21 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,195,109 times
Theres a Facebook page called Ocala Police Scanner. Im not near Silver Springs Shores, but it does seem like theres an inordinate amount of crime there. If you go to Trulia and look for homes in Silver Springs Shores, theres a crime map there you can look at. Bahia Street is in a crime area. I would avoid it.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:59 PM

170 posts, read 771,688 times
I have friends that live there (they are young, very early 30s with a 1 year old child). There section doesn't have any issues from what they told me and when I visited them I felt safe. I've also driven through some parts of Silver Springs Shores. It seems like there are older parts and newer parts as its an extremely large sub division. There are also rural parts too as you get closer to Ocklawaha. Here is what I'd do:

1. Visit the neighborhood in the day time. If you see too many cars, that means people dont work.....and when folks dont work there is a potential for crime...Silver Springs Shores is not a retirement community so there shouldn't be many cars sitting out in the day (just my opinion).

2. As soon as the sun sets (around 5:30pm now) choose one week night to go and one weekend night (preferably a Wednesday and a Friday and a Saturday night) and see whats going on. See who is coming home from work. See what type of cars they drive. Are there pick up trucks and vans??? Those are probably blue collar workers..... Are there high end cars? That means high end jobs and people who care about their neighborhood. This will also come with higher end friends too (who hopefully are the quiet type when they visit).

3. You must do a midnight drive through of the neighborhood. 2am is even better. If you see people walking around, chances are these are the people who will be walking around while your sleep. And if they are walking, that means they are up to no good and probably looking to steal. If no one is out that time, then good. Might just be a neighborhood worth considering. (Ohhhh and since its November, no one should be walking around shirtless with basketball shorts on late at night or the day....if you see that......they are probably up to no good.......believe me when I say that).

4.Look at the local crime map research to include sexual offenders and the latest crimes in the last year. Sex offenders tend to live in the same neighborhood since the GOOD neighborhoods wont allow them to come in. Regarding crime, if its simple stuff like someone smoking weed, an argument with a couple, you might can deal with that. But if cars are stolen, murders are happening, major drug bust, repeated vandalism..calls for gun shots..know that you WILL be a statistic.

5. Next time it rains, make sure to visit the neighborhood. Is there standing water in your neighborhood???? Thats a sign of a neighborhood you might not want to be in......

Bottom line, only you and your spouse know how much or little crime you can deal with. But I can tell you this much, there is an imaginary "express train line" for some reason between Ocala and The Northern States like NYC and for some reason, the good for nothings seem to love coming down to their distant relatives house under the guise of "a fresh start" and crime seems to follow them. That said, you might have a sweet church going couple that lives next to you BUT you never know when their no good grandchild from New York City is going to show up and wreck havoc in their lives........be careful........

Do your research......the homes are affordable over there, but you might sacrifice some things if you font find the right neighborhood in silver springs.....

Oooo one more thing, do research search on the going rates for the houses that were just sold in the neighborhood. If you notice that over the last 6 months homes were sold for uber cheap rates (like 80k - 100k) its probably a crime infested neighborhood. Low home prices bring people who have lower wages and high rates of "baggage" so to speak usually with the company they keep. Just saying.....statistics dont lie....stay out of that type of neighborhood.........

I'd personally live in Silver Springs Shores so long as it was the rural part with hardly no neighbors.

Again, just my opinions based on what I know......

Last edited by ApostolicFlightAttendant; 11-20-2017 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-20-2017, 04:07 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,115,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
I have friends that live there (they are young, very early 30s with a 1 year old child). There section doesn't have any issues. I've also driven through some parts of Silver Springs Shores. It seems like there are older parts and newer parts as its an extremely large sub division. There are also more rural parts too as you get closer to Ocklawaha. Here is what I'd do

1. Visit the neighborhood in the day time. If you see too many cars, that means people dont work.....and when folks dont work there is a potential for crime...Silver Springs Shores is not a retirement community so there shouldn't be many cars sitting out in the day (just my opinion).
2. As soon as the sun sets (around 5:30pm now) choose one week night to go and one weekend night (preferably a Wednesday and a Friday and a Saturday night) and see whats going on.
3. Do a midnight to 2am drive through. If you see people walking around, chances are these are the people who will be walking around while your sleep. If no one is out that time, then good.
4.Do a crime map research to include sexual offenders and the latest crimes in the last year. If its simple stuff like someone smoking weed, an argument with a couple, you might can deal with that. But if cars are stolen, murders are happening, major drug bust, repeated vandalism....know that you WILL be a statistic.
5. Next time it rains, make sure to visit the neighborhood. Is there standing water in your neighborhood????

Bottom line, only you and your spouse know how much or little crime you can deal with. But I can tell you this much, there is an express train line for some reason between Ocala and northern states and for some reason, the good for nothings seem to love coming down to their distant relatives house under the guise of "a fresh start" and crime seems to follow them. That said, you might have a sweet church going couple that lives next to you BUT you never know when their no good grandchild from New York City is going to show up and wreck havoc in their lives........

Do your research......the homes are cheap over there, but you might sacracife some things if you dont find the right neighborhood in silver springs.....

Oooo one more, do a research search on the going rates for the houses that were just sold in the neighborhood. If you notice that over the last 6 months homes were sold for uber cheap rates (like 80k - 100k) its probably a crime infested neighborhood. Low home prices bring people who have lower wages and high rates of "baggage" so to speak usually with the company they keep. Just saying.....statistics dont lie....stay out of that type of neighborhood.........

I'd personally live in Silver Springs Shores so long as it was the rural part with hardly no neighbors.

Again, just my opinions based on what I know......
Always good to see your posts, AFA. Very informative and, I might add, educational. I do get the impression that there are parts of SSS that are just fine. You are spot on about the people who come to visit family on the pretext of a "fresh start". The other one is "moved to Florida to help out family", that's a good one, lol.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:33 PM

3,233 posts, read 2,073,417 times
Between Midway Rd and Oak Rd (east to west) excluding a couple of select offshoots is almost certainly the worst part of SSS, particularly on the southside of Maricamp. Try to be at least a few roads back from Maricamp in general (464) and avoid being near any multi-unit style housing. Outside of that, I'd look almost on a street-by-street basis. See a couple of well-maintained blocks in a row on the same road as well as the ones in front and behind that one? You're probably good to go.

As a general rule though, the further east you progress into non-rural-ish SSS the more likely you are to encounter the hood-rat version of suburbia.

Alternatively, the 34480 section of SSS, specifically between the Baseline golf course and Chestnut road is pretty quiet and is only blocks away from Legacy elementary school, which is only a handful of years old and is certainly better than Emerald Shores elementary school located near the address you mentioned on Silver Place.

Edit: As AFA mentioned, it's always prudent to take a drive through the general area during the nighttime, particularly on the weekends, to get a feel for whether or not the area is laden with potentially unsavory types.

Last edited by OpinionInOcala; 11-20-2017 at 05:43 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 07:28 PM

49 posts, read 106,411 times
Sidenote:

I would not want to be a USPS employee with my route in SSS. Seriously, whose idea was it to name each road the same thing with just a different extension: (i.e. Dogwood Ln, Dogwood Cir, Dogwood Tr, etc). Makes it difficult to find things sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala