Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 02:42 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times

Advertisements

With all the fires going on in California, I'm reminded that Florida has fires as well from time to time, in various parts of the state. What is the Ocala area's exposure to wildfires? It's great to be here among all the
trees and vegetation, and then I look around at the frame and siding houses, the dry leaves on the ground, etc. and I think to myself, "Uh-oh, I forgot about possible fire danger".

As long as I've lived in the state, I don't recall hearing about Ocala being a hot spot, or hearing about fires here, seems like they're more over by Jacksonville, or the smoke drifts down from Georgia, or up from Polk County. Anything to be aware of? Are some areas of Marion more prone to fires than others? Or is it really not much of a concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 04:20 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
I have lived in the Ocala area since 1980 and have never experienced out of control fires and evacuations because of them. In theory, the Ocala National Forest could create a potential fire threat, but I have never been concerned about it. Just saying.....

Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I have lived in the Ocala area since 1980 and have never experienced out of control fires and evacuations because of them. In theory, the Ocala National Forest could create a potential fire threat, but I have never been concerned about it. Just saying.....
Thanks, that's what I thought. We don't have anything like the Santa Ana wind here during the winter, so maybe just a hot spot here or there. Along 200, there's Oak Run, Palm Cay and Spruce Creek all nicely lined up with lots of frame and siding homes, more or less in the woods. Oak Run and Palm Cay seem to have fairly limited egress and ingress, and residents mostly over 55, so evacuations would be problematic on short notice.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:02 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
I do not think you will have a problem. Their is controlled burnings in some places to prevent problems.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:25 PM

266 posts, read 271,690 times
It can happen, I was there in 1998 when the wildfires hit, Volusia County was hit hard, parts of Ocala National Forest, Palm Coast etc. In 1935 Ocala Forest had the big scrub fire which is the fastest growing fire in US history growing to 35,000 acres in 4 hours.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
It can happen, I was there in 1998 when the wildfires hit, Volusia County was hit hard, parts of Ocala National Forest, Palm Coast etc. In 1935 Ocala Forest had the big scrub fire which is the fastest growing fire in US history growing to 35,000 acres in 4 hours.
I remember the 1998 wildfires, I was living in South Florida at the time and we got haze and even some smoke smell. We thought at first there was a muck fire in the Everglades. I didn't realize Ocala was affected. If I recall, there was an entire subdivision that got pretty well wiped out, lots of trees in the area.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I do not think you will have a problem. Their is controlled burnings in some places to prevent problems.
That's good to know. Very smart. As I understand it, California is not as good about controlled burns as Florida is.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
Like I mentioned, I have been in the Ocala area since 1980 and there were no issues in the city limits during that time. The Ocala National Forest is huge and the worst thing that happened was smoke from remote fires blowing into the area. As per the original thread question, the area isn't prone to out of control fires like what is happening in California every few years.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:32 PM

266 posts, read 271,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Like I mentioned, I have been in the Ocala area since 1980 and there were no issues in the city limits during that time. The Ocala National Forest is huge and the worst thing that happened was smoke from remote fires blowing into the area. As per the original thread question, the area isn't prone to out of control fires like what is happening in California every few years.
I agree, Ocala city limits is very unlikely to see damage from a forest fire, but the original post stated Ocala area which I would also consider the national forest. If you live on the outskirts in the more rural areas near the forest you could see something, but still not as likely as California. California used to do more controlled fires, but the environmentalist fought it, also started suing home owners for clearing a fire break neat their homes to prevent fire damage saying it was harmful to the environment etc., even though it was recommended by the fire departments. The area currently burning in Ventura County hasn't burned since 1932, lots of fuel available.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGIRL90 View Post
I wonder why they allow people to burn yard waste and even their trash.
Not in the city limits. The county doesn't allow uncontrolled burns and large burns require permits and are monitored closely by firefighters to ensure they don't get don't get out of control. Not everybody burns yard waste in their own yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala