Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,650 times

Advertisements

What are the political leanings (liberal/progressive/Democrat, conservative/Republican) of some of are 55+ communities (OTOTW, Stone Creek, Oak Run...)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 06:28 PM

160 posts, read 187,067 times
The county in general is SUPER conservative. I love it.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:13 PM

14 posts, read 23,592 times
Yes, mostly conservative, luckily I live in Trilogy Ocala Preserve and we have a nice mix of people on both sides of the aisle who are educated and therefore typically respectful. I don’t believe it’s good for any community to lean heavy to any one side then you have no diversity and therefore you might end up in a very uninteresting place. For the most part my neighbors don’t stick politics in your face which is the way it should be. People who do so are very “small” in my opinion. What bothers me more is that there are so many uneducated and poor people that have so little. The crime rate is extremely high as well which is why I don’t believe we are long for this place.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:43 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,111,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdm56 View Post
Yes, mostly conservative, luckily I live in Trilogy Ocala Preserve and we have a nice mix of people on both sides of the aisle who are educated and therefore typically respectful. I don’t believe it’s good for any community to lean heavy to any one side then you have no diversity and therefore you might end up in a very uninteresting place. For the most part my neighbors don’t stick politics in your face which is the way it should be. People who do so are very “small” in my opinion. What bothers me more is that there are so many uneducated and poor people that have so little. The crime rate is extremely high as well which is why I don’t believe we are long for this place.
For the most part, since I've been here, I have found most of the people I've come in contact with to be quite decent, especially the locals, no matter what their income level. I've heard the crime rate is high, but I've never experienced it and I don't feel unsafe when I'm out and about. I haven't even been panhandled.

Quite frankly, it was more dangerous where we used to live south of Tampa. There were two 55+ communities in the area, one was gated and the other was open, and even in the gated community there was the occasional break-in. There was an area nearby that was known as a major hub for drug trafficking.
A certain amount of scum had moved into the area over the years and surrounded the communities and it was starting to cause problems. Either I haven't lived here long enough to hear similar tales or it is a whole lot better here. Yes, I've seen a number of less affluent folks, but as I say, they seem to be rather decent.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
For the most part, since I've been here, I have found most of the people I've come in contact with to be quite decent, especially the locals, no matter what their income level. I've heard the crime rate is high, but I've never experienced it and I don't feel unsafe when I'm out and about. I haven't even been panhandled.

Quite frankly, it was more dangerous where we used to live south of Tampa. There were two 55+ communities in the area, one was gated and the other was open, and even in the gated community there was the occasional break-in. There was an area nearby that was known as a major hub for drug trafficking.
I agree. I moved here from Miami, which is a snake pit full of rude, violent, ignorant, materialistic people. Most of Miami is ghetto or near-ghetto, and the various ethnic groups hate each other. Compared to Miamians, the people in Marion County are wonderful. Polite, considerate, quiet, helpful, and generally religious. I am often freaked out by how nicely black people treat me here, and by the frequent sightings of mixed families with beautiful kids. I almost can't believe my good fortune. Every day, I hate Miami more. I see what I missed by failing to leave 30 years ago.

I know there are some sketchy areas in Marion, but I don't hang out there.

I live in a nice rural area. To get to me, criminals would have to make it past my armed neighbors, and then God help them once they get on my property. The hardest task would be deciding which high-capacity rifle to reach for.

Concealed carry is very big here, so I doubt there is much to fear when I'm out in public. Surely the criminals understand the danger. I have read that the crime statistics here are misleading because they're pumped up by domestic violence. Unfortunate, but seems unlikely to involve strangers.

If I had it to do over again I might move to southern Tennessee, where there are fewer bugs, but after Miami, anything looks good.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
I agree. I moved here from Miami, which is a snake pit full of rude, violent, ignorant, materialistic people. Most of Miami is ghetto or near-ghetto, and the various ethnic groups hate each other. Compared to Miamians, the people in Marion County are wonderful. Polite, considerate, quiet, helpful, and generally religious. I am often freaked out by how nicely black people treat me here, and by the frequent sightings of mixed families with beautiful kids. I almost can't believe my good fortune. Every day, I hate Miami more. I see what I missed by failing to leave 30 years ago.

I know there are some sketchy areas in Marion, but I don't hang out there.

I live in a nice rural area. To get to me, criminals would have to make it past my armed neighbors, and then God help them once they get on my property. The hardest task would be deciding which high-capacity rifle to reach for.

Concealed carry is very big here, so I doubt there is much to fear when I'm out in public. Surely the criminals understand the danger. I have read that the crime statistics here are misleading because they're pumped up by domestic violence. Unfortunate, but seems unlikely to involve strangers.

If I had it to do over again I might move to southern Tennessee, where there are fewer bugs, but after Miami, anything looks good.
LOL, they won't let me give you another rep, but that is a great post. When we left South Florida for the Tampa Bay area in 2000, I thought I died and went to heaven. Back then, we found a semi-rural spot in an area that no one seemed to want, and the neighbors were great and it only took a half an hour to zip into Tampa. We had lived in both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale over the years before that and I had enjoyed the earlier years of my time there. Now, if I never see South Florida again, it'll be too soon.

Around 2005, in the part of the Tampa area where we were living, things started to change and development began to go nuts, even during the downturn. They destroyed the orange groves and put up houses, houses, houses. And then came all the people, people, people, both domestic and foreign, many of them very surly, looking to get a leg over.

I, too, question those crime stats and like you, I think they're misleading. We landed here quite by accident and I consider it a fortunate accident. This area has a lot to offer. Sure, there's no "coast", but we've got Lake Weir and some great springs. We've got family areas and retirement areas and housing that's affordable but pleasant. There are excellent recreational opportunities, too. If the progs don't like it here, that's fine with me. Gainesville's up the road a piece.

Last edited by kmarc; 12-19-2017 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: word

Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
You can find political party registration by zip code if you do some searching.
I don't think you will have a problem as long as you do not push what ever opinion you have.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:44 AM

The number of 55+ communities in Marion County overall is pretty hefty, so far I've counted 22, and that's what I know about. I'm sure there are some I've missed. Compare that to 2 communities in Hillsborough County (not counting the mobile home communities). Anyway, with that number of 55+ communities in the county, I think the idea of searching by zip code to get a feel for political leanings is a good idea.

I can understand wanting to be with people of like mind. It makes for fewer disagreements.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
LOL, they won't let me give you another rep, but that is a great post. When we left South Florida for the Tampa Bay area in 2000, I thought I died and went to heaven. Back then, we found a semi-rural spot in an area that no one seemed to want, and the neighbors were great and it only took a half an hour to zip into Tampa. We had lived in both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale over the years before that and I had enjoyed the earlier years of my time there. Now, if I never see South Florida again, it'll be too soon.
In Miami, we had to worry about vandalism, loud parties in the wee hours of Sunday morning, neighbors sending their party guests to park all over the yard, neighbors walking their dogs on our lawn to poop, neighbors hauling their trash to our swale for dumping, mentally unhinged mail carriers, people getting angry at me for not speaking a foreign language, and all the other perks of living among the barely civilized. Up here, a hurricane passed by, and our neighbors trespassed...to cut and move a fallen tree that was blocking our driveway. I'm talking about people I had never met.

I called them "reverse looters."

Miami is also famous for race riots. I still remember the time the cops beat a black motorcyclist to death and turned the city into a war zone. Don't see that kind of thing happening here any time soon.

I thought I would hate Miami less after I moved, but my disgust gets worse and worse! I can't believe I let myself live there.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:52 PM

14 posts, read 23,592 times
Wish the high crime rate was my imagination but it’s not. Last spring my husband and I took a 13 week course called the Citizens Academy (its has since changed to an 8 wk course). It was a real eye opener. They had experts from every facet of the Sherriffs Department. We went on a field trip to the jail and a working farm where they grow livestock and produce for food for the jail. Approximately 50 people are arrested each day here and go before a judge on a closed caption screen. Their not all murderers but 50 a day is pretty scary. We are also down 44 deputies in Marion County because they don’t pay well. The crooks know the deputies are working at a large disadvantage. The deputy that patrols the schools will tell you that kids are taking opioids and killing themselves at an alarming rate. They also showed us a display of their equipment, much of which was bought with confiscated property and drug money. One piece of equipment, called a Rook was worth a few million dollars. I also volunteered with the Sherriffs Department for a short while. You can also check out a website called Neighborhood Scout and go the the Crime Tab. Ocala is rated a 4 which means we’re at the bottom. The safest would be rated a 100. They explain how they determine each cities rating. You can also download an App called Radio 5.0 and browse to find Marion County. They use mostly code but you can download the codes online. Very telling stuff. People are waving their guns in the air, overdosing, break ins, beating their wives and kids. You name it, it’s reported every 5 seconds. One only has to look around at the moldy, rusted out trailers everywhere along with the education statistics to see a community that’s really hurting. I agree Ocala is not all bad and they do some things really well but compared to the little town I grew up in, in the Northeast, Ocala and most of Florida is unsafe, scary, sad, and very uneducated. I’ve hearing lately that I’m not alone in my thinking either. If I loved the snow we would probably move back. For now we will just make the best of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala