Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 03:51 AM

1 posts, read 834 times

Advertisements

We’ve decided to look for a rental before purchasing. We’ve looked on Craigslist but have the obvious reservations with ads listed that are there. We’ve also looked on Zillow & Realtor dot com, however there doesn’t appear to be many rental options listed in 55+ communities. We’ve read here that many others have rented before purchasing & are interested in hearing where they found their listing. Also, has anyone who rented had difficulty finding a rental which accepts dogs? We have two, small dogs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We’re traveling to Ocala in a few weeks. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 07:00 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,144,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrob View Post
We’ve decided to look for a rental before purchasing. We’ve looked on Craigslist but have the obvious reservations with ads listed that are there. We’ve also looked on Zillow & Realtor dot com, however there doesn’t appear to be many rental options listed in 55+ communities. We’ve read here that many others have rented before purchasing & are interested in hearing where they found their listing. Also, has anyone who rented had difficulty finding a rental which accepts dogs? We have two, small dogs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We’re traveling to Ocala in a few weeks. Thanks!
Finding a rental anywhere in Florida that's decent and doesn't cost an arm and a leg has become difficult over the past few years, and it is always more difficult at this time of year because it is "the season" here (January through March). It used to be so straightforward. Oddly enough we found a decent rental on CL, but it wasn't easy and was sort of a lucky fluke. We had to kiss a lot of frogs before we met the handsome prince, so to speak, lol. CL is so full of scams and come-ons, it's like navigating a mine field. Word to the wise: don't ante up an application fee until you have all, and I mean ALL your questions answered. And that includes seeing a copy of the lease first, because sometimes what you are told verbally is not what is in the lease. Any decent landlord or management company will provide this with no hesitation. If they don't, move on.

I don't know what your tastes or budget is, or if you need a furnished rental, but I just took a look at Zillow and there are a few decent rentals for 55+ on there. Really, you can't go wrong with Oak Run or Palm Cay. Both are nice communities. Oak Run is much larger and has more amenities. I wouldn't hesitate to use Zillow. Also On Top of The World is another good one if there's a rental available there, I think they may have some furnished rentals. All these communities are along the 200 corridor. There are a few other 55+ communities on the east side of the Ocala/Marion county area, and you have to search the towns of Belleview and Summerfield, which are just north of the Villages, to find them. Those are all nice over there, too.

There are a couple of real estate property management firms that can help you, and that are involved with the 55+ communities but we're not allowed to post them here in the public forum, so DM me if you want the names.

Also, another thing you can do is find a list of all the 55+ communities in the Ocala area on line and contact their HOA or management companies direct. Sometimes they have a list of properties for rent that are not advertised on line.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2017, 01:33 PM

6,603 posts, read 7,281,522 times
You might find some rentals by contacting the community sales department.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:23 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,144,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You might find some rentals by contacting the community sales department.
That's what I was thinking. OTOW has its own real estate company and so does Oak Run. I'm sure they handle rentals as well.

I think there's also an umbrella real estate company for the various Spruce Creek developments (of which there are four in the Ocala area, all 55+)

Old 12-30-2017, 03:36 PM

482 posts, read 650,444 times
When are you planning to move? I'll have one available in Pine Run, 55+community on SR 200, mid-summer 2018. Otherwise, Foxfire Realty handles a lot of 55+ rentals in Ocala.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala