Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:49 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,119,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
I put around 4 ounces of gas on the burn pile and lit it. The blast and fireball covered me from head to toe. Was I surprised? In a nutshell, yes.
Ah, life in the country!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49bl6FrgZTs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 PM

160 posts, read 187,711 times
I feel like a runaway slave. This place is fantastic. The people are incredible. Traffic is a joke. I can shoot in my backyard. I can communicate without learning a foreign language. The weather is better. The barbecue is better. Even the pizza is better; I didn't see that coming. There is a little nothing Italian place on 441 or 301 or Pine or whatever it's called that blows me away. I lived in New York, and this food is better than what I ate up there.

The bugs are horrendous. I admit that. When it's warm, I have to wear Off.

I love it here, but I may move on to Appalachia eventually. I want more land, and the winter has been a little too warm for me. Land here is a bargain compared to Miami, but it's even cheaper in Appalachia. I have discovered hunting, and I don't want neighbors bugging me because they see me carrying a rifle. The other day a lady across the fence started asking me questions when I was squirrel hunting. I felt like asking her why she moved out here and whether she had any idea what Florida law says about shooting.

How has your experience been?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I feel like a runaway slave. This place is fantastic. The people are incredible. Traffic is a joke. I can shoot in my backyard. I can communicate without learning a foreign language. The weather is better. The barbecue is better. Even the pizza is better; I didn't see that coming. There is a little nothing Italian place on 441 or 301 or Pine or whatever it's called that blows me away. I lived in New York, and this food is better than what I ate up there.

The bugs are horrendous. I admit that. When it's warm, I have to wear Off.

I love it here, but I may move on to Appalachia eventually. I want more land, and the winter has been a little too warm for me. Land here is a bargain compared to Miami, but it's even cheaper in Appalachia. I have discovered hunting, and I don't want neighbors bugging me because they see me carrying a rifle. The other day a lady across the fence started asking me questions when I was squirrel hunting. I felt like asking her why she moved out here and whether she had any idea what Florida law says about shooting.

How has your experience been?
I really, really like it here. You are right, great people. It's quiet where we are, on a ridge that rises up from 200. Not a fan of the traffic on 200, but everything else is really nice. I tell people I feel like I moved back to the US. And you're right, excellent pizza joints, which was a surprise to us, too.

The bugs are interesting, though. I saw one of those huge katydids that looks like a leaf clinging to the screen door on the lanai. Blew me away. Squirrels and crows everywhere! I even thought we had a wild turkey in the back yard, until I saw it chewing on a dead squirrel and then I realized it was a turkey VULTURE.

We thought about moving to western North Carolina, even Roanoke, VA, but in the end, I realized I'm a Florida gal, it's in my blood. Maybe we'll move up closer to the border and stop there. Florida's got me now and here I'll stay until it's time for me to go.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:26 PM

Here's a place I definitely want to check out this summer, although I'm afraid my body is a little too old for some of those stunts. I'll stick to the paddle boards. Only in North Florida.

Bob's River Place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Ng_We5Cr0

Old 03-19-2018, 10:01 PM

160 posts, read 187,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I really, really like it here. You are right, great people. It's quiet where we are, on a ridge that rises up from 200. Not a fan of the traffic on 200, but everything else is really nice. I tell people I feel like I moved back to the US. And you're right, excellent pizza joints, which was a surprise to us, too.

The bugs are interesting, though. I saw one of those huge katydids that looks like a leaf clinging to the screen door on the lanai. Blew me away. Squirrels and crows everywhere! I even thought we had a wild turkey in the back yard, until I saw it chewing on a dead squirrel and then I realized it was a turkey VULTURE.

We thought about moving to western North Carolina, even Roanoke, VA, but in the end, I realized I'm a Florida gal, it's in my blood. Maybe we'll move up closer to the border and stop there. Florida's got me now and here I'll stay until it's time for me to go.
The most exciting bug I've encountered is the spitting devil or two-striped walking stick. Maybe you've seen it. It's 4" long, and it's black and yellow. It's female, and it carries its husband on its back. If you bother it, it can spit acid into your eyes. Impressive.

We have lots of crows, a good number of turkey buzzards, and also hawks. Yesterday I saw something that looked like a hawk, but the wingspan was twice as wide. Thought it might be an eagle.

My farm is thick with squirrels. The whole area is. I pancaked one today with an SUV. Knew it would happen here sooner or later. They have more nerve than brains.

When I was a kid, my parents had 8 acres on a mountainside in Jackson County, NC. I loved it. But if you go to that area now, you will probably think you're in Little Havana. Everyone in Miami goes to North Carolina in the summer. Last people I want to see. Can't drive on hills (or anywhere else). Can't drive on snow. Rude. Loud.

I'm originally from Eastern Kentucky. My grandfather had thousands of acres. I loved it up there, but the willful ignorance is too much to put up with in the long term, and I got sick of everyone, including my relatives, expecting me to go along with the racism. People tell me northern Tennessee is considerably better, so I may give it a shot in a few years. It would be wonderful to have the Appalachian woods and hills with a healthier culture.

Ocala is great, though. I'm so glad it's not popular.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
The most exciting bug I've encountered is the spitting devil or two-striped walking stick. Maybe you've seen it. It's 4" long, and it's black and yellow. It's female, and it carries its husband on its back. If you bother it, it can spit acid into your eyes. Impressive.

We have lots of crows, a good number of turkey buzzards, and also hawks. Yesterday I saw something that looked like a hawk, but the wingspan was twice as wide. Thought it might be an eagle.

My farm is thick with squirrels. The whole area is. I pancaked one today with an SUV. Knew it would happen here sooner or later. They have more nerve than brains.

When I was a kid, my parents had 8 acres on a mountainside in Jackson County, NC. I loved it. But if you go to that area now, you will probably think you're in Little Havana. Everyone in Miami goes to North Carolina in the summer. Last people I want to see. Can't drive on hills (or anywhere else). Can't drive on snow. Rude. Loud.

I'm originally from Eastern Kentucky. My grandfather had thousands of acres. I loved it up there, but the willful ignorance is too much to put up with in the long term, and I got sick of everyone, including my relatives, expecting me to go along with the racism. People tell me northern Tennessee is considerably better, so I may give it a shot in a few years. It would be wonderful to have the Appalachian woods and hills with a healthier culture.

Ocala is great, though. I'm so glad it's not popular.
ha-ha, YES! I'm glad it's not popular, too.

Haven't seen that walking stick insect. I thought those were only in Brazil. Come to think of it, the katydid I saw is native to Malaysia.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 AM

3,148 posts, read 3,100,134 times
Brace yourself for more rain today. I was able to walk for about an hour or so in between showers yesterday & in my ‘hood Haile Plantation) I saw one house with roof damage—tree fell & the fork pierced a hole right in the roof. Some fences damaged where trees fell. We had a tall skinny tree snap in two and land on our fence, but no damage.

Went down your way last weekend to visit Shalom Park which was so beautiful. Gorgeous rose garden—so many other flowers too. Ate an early dinner at Blue Waygu afterwards. Love the hamburgers! Everything is so delicious and fresh.

I’ll be headed back to SFLA for a few days to see clients & although it’s nice to visit, I do not miss it. I love the slower pace up here, the people, the medical care, the lower cost of living. The northern half of Florida really is special.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Brace yourself for more rain today. I was able to walk for about an hour or so in between showers yesterday & in my ‘hood Haile Plantation) I saw one house with roof damage—tree fell & the fork pierced a hole right in the roof. Some fences damaged where trees fell. We had a tall skinny tree snap in two and land on our fence, but no damage.

Went down your way last weekend to visit Shalom Park which was so beautiful. Gorgeous rose garden—so many other flowers too. Ate an early dinner at Blue Waygu afterwards. Love the hamburgers! Everything is so delicious and fresh.

I’ll be headed back to SFLA for a few days to see clients & although it’s nice to visit, I do not miss it. I love the slower pace up here, the people, the medical care, the lower cost of living. The northern half of Florida really is special.
Yep, I just stepped outside for a second because it seems like there was a break in the rain, but no such luck. We have a lot of trees around us and much as I love them, it does make me cautious. But it's part of what makes this area special.

Safe travels on your journey to SoFlo. Wild horses couldn't drag me back there.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:02 PM

Earlier we even had some dime sized hail bouncing off the front lawn for a couple of minutes. The wind is drying up the water now.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:41 PM

6,398 posts, read 10,195,835 times
I hope nobody lost power in the latest storm today. All good here in Ocala in the area where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala