Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:45 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,119,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I hope nobody lost power in the latest storm today. All good here in Ocala in the area where I live.
All clear here as well, just rather windy. A little bit of setting sun. Sometimes these storms are good to clear out stagnant air, settle the dust, reduce the pollen a little. The next few days should be glorious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:55 PM

160 posts, read 187,711 times
When I lose power, I have no water pressure. Always nice when a storm fails to kill the juice.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:51 PM

I was out looking around the neighborhood. Seems like the storm took out the limbs that Irma left behind. We were fine, but neighbors on both sides of us are going to have the chain saws out.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:04 PM

NICE cool down right about now. The weather here is so much more interesting than the Tampa area. One thing I noticed is that there's almost always some sort of breeze or wind here, I hope that's true in the summer months as well. It's kind of weird, considering this area is more inland than where I lived in South Florida and in the Tampa area. Truth is, though, any "breeze" that comes off the bay is like a wet blast furnace during the summer. The bay is kind of gross.

We're up on a ridge, and I read somewhere that those parts of Florida where there's a ridge, it tends to pull up the air from the water so even when it's hot you get air movement.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:41 AM

People told me I would miss the Miami sea breeze. Uh...there is no sea breeze in Miami. I have no idea why they say that. During the summer, the winds are calm.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
People told me I would miss the Miami sea breeze. Uh...there is no sea breeze in Miami. I have no idea why they say that. During the summer, the winds are calm.
Depends where you are in Miami. I lived in South Florida, both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, for 20 years. Having moved to the Tampa Bay area after that, I can say that there IS a breeze, comparatively, but it dissipates the further you get from the Intercoastal Waterway. I would rather live in Southeastern Florida during the summer than the Tampa Bay area. During the summer, the Tampa Bay area is stagnant. Very little, if any, breeze off the gulf and what there is, is moist heat because of the warm water of the gulf. The bay itself is even worse.

So I'll be interested to see what air movement, if any, we get here in the summer. Oh, and don't get me started on the Orlando area. That's the worst, IMO.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:57 PM

Typical winds in Miami in the summer are around 5 knots, if you're out on the water with no trees or buildings in the way. That's what NOAA usually said when I called for the boating forecast. That's pretty weak.

People talk about the "sea breeze" like it makes Miami cool. I'm sure motionless air is worse, but Miami is a hot and sweaty place.

I got here in August, and while it was definitely hot during the day, it was not noticeably worse than Miami, and at night, it cooled down. Remember those 80-degree nights in Miami?

Irma hit on September 11, which was still summer. I had no AC. The night temperatures dropped into the low 60's while the power was out. I loved that.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
Typical winds in Miami in the summer are around 5 knots, if you're out on the water with no trees or buildings in the way. That's what NOAA usually said when I called for the boating forecast. That's pretty weak.

People talk about the "sea breeze" like it makes Miami cool. I'm sure motionless air is worse, but Miami is a hot and sweaty place.

I got here in August, and while it was definitely hot during the day, it was not noticeably worse than Miami, and at night, it cooled down. Remember those 80-degree nights in Miami?

Irma hit on September 11, which was still summer. I had no AC. The night temperatures dropped into the low 60's while the power was out. I loved that.
No way am I saying Miami is cool in the summer. Just easier to tolerate than Tampa, that's for sure. Yes, I remember those 80 degree nights in Miami. Ft. Lauderdale, too. The main difference I found between Miami and Tampa was that the relentless summer heat broke sooner in Tampa and it was cooler during the winter for a longer period of time, although that changed during the past couple of years. Here in Ocala it's been great since we moved here. Nice to know it cools off at night somewhat. I hear the lightning is pretty fierce, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala