Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:01 PM

31 posts, read 23,807 times

Advertisements

Thanks ALH for all that helpful info. Where do you run into those "devils walking sticks. Man if I tell my sweetie about that bug she will want to be in a park ;^) like we were before. Our desire is to be far enough out of town to have chickens, garden and to do some plinking. Thanks again. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 06:31 AM

529 posts, read 1,166,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiskid1973 View Post
German shepard that was my first dog as a kid. My dad was a plumber and worked a job at a police barracks and was offered one that didn't quite cut the muster. The rest was history. That dog was a playmate and chased after everything. Will a home inspector check for termites? What does a home inspection cost down there ? I'm guessing it would be better the realator route is the safest way. How was the german shepherd for the heat ? How was he with critters, poisonous snakes ect. What did you use for flea control down there ? Sorrry for all the ?? Thanks and God bless.
Home inspections do not typically inspect for termites. If there is obvious damage, they might suggest having a termite inspection. They are usually done by pest control agencies. If you are lucky, the home may have been covered by a termite bond, issued by a termite company and renewed annually by the previous owner and transferable to the next owner. Inspection costs vary widely and frankly, it has been a few years since I needed those services.

My Shepherd was an inside dog, although I spent a lot of time outside and she was constantly at my side. The sand and humidity are not conducive to keeping dogs outside most of the day, IMHO. I used a topical flea/tick control along with occasional baths and had no problems. Once I figured out the ear problems, topical ointment and gentle cleaning kept yeast infections at bay. Like most, she was very intelligent and responded to voice command. She handled the heat as well as anyone, or anything, does when the heat and humidity sets in. She slowed down, rested more, enjoyed the a/c, and drank plenty of water. She didn't like critters in her yard and diligently chased them up or out to the property line. A stereotypical black/tan German Shepherd, she commanded respect, and I loved the compliments. She was part of my life for 15 years and I miss her, but the freedom to travel spontaneously is nice. I am not ready for another pooch yet.

Good luck
Dax

Old 04-18-2018, 08:43 AM

6,411 posts, read 10,232,200 times
Default Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Home inspections do not typically inspect for termites. If there is obvious damage, they might suggest having a termite inspection. They are usually done by pest control agencies. If you are lucky, the home may have been covered by a termite bond, issued by a termite company and renewed annually by the previous owner and transferable to the next owner. Inspection costs vary widely and frankly, it has been a few years since I needed those services.
In my experience as a former Realtor I will disagree about the termite inspection to a degree. I always suggested a simultaneous termite inspection during the home inspection, which was usually coordinated between the termite and home inspector, to all of my buyer clients which I never had a client refuse. The old saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" comes to mind.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
In my experience as a former Realtor I will disagree about the termite inspection to a degree. I always suggested a simultaneous termite inspection during the home inspection, which was usually coordinated between the termite and home inspector, to all of my buyer clients which I never had a client refuse. The old saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" comes to mind.
No disagreement at all. I think scheduling both at the same time is a GREAT idea. I also would not miss being there while the inspectors were inspecting. I know that sounds obvious, but both of mine offered to do it without my presence. Yeahrightsure. And what turnip truck did they think I fell off of?

Dax

Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No disagreement at all. I think scheduling both at the same time is a GREAT idea. I also would not miss being there while the inspectors were inspecting. I know that sounds obvious, but both of mine offered to do it without my presence. Yeahrightsure. And what turnip truck did they think I fell off of?

Dax
Thanks for all the info. I know and can do all phases of building construction including hvac so I would want to be around also. If bought from a realator or bank owed, what is both the buyer and seller each responsable for ?

Old 04-18-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Dax
I always made it a point to be present during inspection and strongly encouraged my buyers to also attend. I tried to stay out of the way but made sure to observe as much as I could. I was not required to attend, I felt an obligation as a professional to do so, especially if my client was unavailable to attend.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiskid1973 View Post
Thanks for all the info. I know and can do all phases of building construction including hvac so I would want to be around also. If bought from a realator or bank owed, what is both the buyer and seller each responsable for ?
Depends on what the contract says. Also, if you are financing, your lender will tell you what inspections they require. If you pay cash, you decide. I strongly suggest using a good realtor to guide you if you do decide to buy a place. Doing it without representation is tantamount to buying from a used car lot AS-IS. If you are asking these kind of questions, I can guarantee you do not have the knowledge you will need to negotiate an offer or protect your interests.

However, any and all inspections, surveys, and appraisals are almost always paid for the buyer.

Dax

Old 04-18-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Depends on what the contract says. Also, if you are financing, your lender will tell you what inspections they require. If you pay cash, you decide. I strongly suggest using a good realtor to guide you if you do decide to buy a place. Doing it without representation is tantamount to buying from a used car lot AS-IS. If you are asking these kind of questions, I can guarantee you do not have the knowledge you will need to negotiate an offer or protect your interests.

However, any and all inspections, surveys, and appraisals are almost always paid for the buyer.

Dax
Thanks for all the help. This is and adventure into unknown territory for us. I have time to get as many ducks in order ahead of time.The less surprises the better. Each state has it's own learning curve. Realator a must as I'm unseasoned in Fl. real estate issues. So far unless the area changes we will (Lord willing) base camp in Inverness and daytrip out of there. We anticipate a few months of shopping around to get the feeling of the area. BTW, what are Florida vehicles like ? Do you have yearly car inspection for saftey/emissions. I'm sure you don't have the rust issues we face here. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:16 AM

Florida has not had state required vehicle inspections since the early 70's. Automobiles don't rust out like they do up North where salt is used to keep roads defrosted/clear of snow.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Florida has not had state required vehicle inspections since the early 70's. Automobiles don't rust out like they do up North where salt is used to keep roads defrosted/clear of snow.
So basically your on your own to keep your vehicle in a safe operating condition. I can see that affecting car insurance. I can imagine what we would save in state taxes we would put toward car ins. ;^). As for the salt, that is probably the main reason we would sell our small 4WD suv and buy a FL owed vehicle. I imagine a used car dealer would have the car in good mechanical condition or do people take a car their interested to a garage for an inspection like a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: