Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,727 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Florida and would like to live around Ocala, or possibly in the Brooksville area. We hope to find an area in the country with a few acres. Two questions please. Is there any appreciable difference in weather between Ocala and Brooksville? Secondly, the crime stats for these areas seems high compared to the average crime stats in the country. For those of you who live in this area (or who have lived there), what are your thoughts about crime there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 04:06 PM

6,597 posts, read 7,271,893 times
Crime no problem. Go to the Marion County Sheriffs Face Book page and the Web page to get an idea where the crime is.

You will not be in Ocala (the city) with the property size you are looking for. There can be confusion as the area around the city is also referred to as Ocala.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:21 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,138,248 times
I have had no experience with crime here, although there was a school shooting here the other day.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/time...ting/735155751 The shooter was not a student at the school. One student wounded. Might've been a grudge thing.

As to weather, we thought of moving to Brooksville, too, but we ended up here. I couldn't be more pleased with the weather here, right now it's mild and breezy. If I was back in the Tampa Bay area, I'd probably have the AC on already. The thunderstorms can be a bit fierce, though. I'd take this area over Brooksville any day.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:31 PM

Default crime and weather

Thanks to both of you who responded to my questions! We have family in Bradenton (south of
Tampa) and also in Georgia, just south of Atlanta. This area seems like a good spot to visit both, without being in a heavy traffic area and to avoid the extreme humidity of Tampa. Plus, I'm a tree person, and I like the trees and small hills in the Ocala area.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:25 PM

6,597 posts, read 7,271,893 times
You will be better protected from hurricanes and the climate is probably better than Tampa.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmon View Post
Thanks to both of you who responded to my questions! We have family in Bradenton (south of
Tampa) and also in Georgia, just south of Atlanta. This area seems like a good spot to visit both, without being in a heavy traffic area and to avoid the extreme humidity of Tampa. Plus, I'm a tree person, and I like the trees and small hills in the Ocala area.
I don't think you can go wrong. I was very disappointed in Brooksville when we looked there. I had not been there in a long time and was shocked how ugly and congested it had become. Not to mention expensive. And we fortunately ran into a long time local who gave us some skinny on the area that we would not otherwise have known. That's when we moved on, decided to go for broke and go all the way up to Ocala. The area is not perfect, of course. You have to do your homework as to neighborhoods and such, but it's not bad at all. Best wishes on finding a good home here.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:49 PM

Also check out our weather thread. That might help with some of your questions. We did have a rather cold winter, which was fine by me. And we've been having occasional rain throughout this period that is supposed to be the dry season, which keeps the fire danger at bay, so all in all, it's been pretty good IMO.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:54 PM

529 posts, read 1,166,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I don't think you can go wrong. I was very disappointed in Brooksville when we looked there. I had not been there in a long time and was shocked how ugly and congested it had become. Not to mention expensive. And we fortunately ran into a long time local who gave us some skinny on the area that we would not otherwise have known. That's when we moved on, decided to go for broke and go all the way up to Ocala. The area is not perfect, of course. You have to do your homework as to neighborhoods and such, but it's not bad at all. Best wishes on finding a good home here.
Agreed.
You couldn't pay me enough to live in Hernando County, much less Brooksville. You were lucky to have found a longtime local. You were wise to listen.

Dax

Old 04-22-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Agreed.
You couldn't pay me enough to live in Hernando County, much less Brooksville. You were lucky to have found a longtime local. You were wise to listen.

Dax
We were so lucky I can't even begin to tell you, it was a real fluke. We were that close to signing a crappy lease out of sheer desperation. And with Ocala we were flying blind, really, but the gods were smiling on us.

Always try to find a longtime local to give you the straight dope, preferably someone not in the real estate biz. You can get better info as a newcomer by talking to a server in a local dive, or someone who has run a small business in an area for a while. They can tell you things no one else will tell you.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:31 AM

As far as better weather and hurricane protection, I've been thinking the same. Probably a tad less humid most days? Thx for confirmation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala