Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,111,561 times

Advertisements

First the Villages, then Fore Ranch, now The Villages again. They're saying it's the longer spell of rain we've had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N22vaU4p5g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsWEF7NcGfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pay3nFric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 08:14 AM

268 posts, read 224,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
First the Villages, then Fore Ranch, now The Villages again. They're saying it's the longer spell of rain we've had.
Others are saying it's all the groundwater being pumped up for the endless building of new homes and agriculture.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
Others are saying it's all the groundwater being pumped up for the endless building of new homes and agriculture.
Probably some truth to this. This was the problem in Hillsborough County where the poor guy got buried alive. The farmers nearby are notorious for depleting the groundwater to irrigate their precious strawberries.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:07 AM

160 posts, read 186,979 times
I won't worry until I see the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man marching up 484.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:50 PM

268 posts, read 224,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Probably some truth to this. This was the problem in Hillsborough County where the poor guy got buried alive. The farmers nearby are notorious for depleting the groundwater to irrigate their precious strawberries.
There's a wealthy cattle rancher here in Marion Co. who caused a real controversy because he's pumping so many millions of gallons of water to irrigate the acres of grass for his cattle that the river has gone down. No one can know how it's effecting the ground water or sand below the surface. Sorry, forgot if that's the Ocklawaha or the Silver River. People protested but lost the case. Sad when the profit of one or a few negatively effects the many, including wildlife, but that's capitalism.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:12 PM

481 posts, read 500,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
There's a wealthy cattle rancher here in Marion Co. who caused a real controversy because he's pumping so many millions of gallons of water to irrigate the acres of grass for his cattle that the river has gone down. No one can know how it's effecting the ground water or sand below the surface. Sorry, forgot if that's the Ocklawaha or the Silver River. People protested but lost the case. Sad when the profit of one or a few negatively effects the many, including wildlife, but that's capitalism.
Those damn farmers! Growin cattle and food to feed milliins of people! Who do the think they are!?!?
I say let the people starve! Nature is more important than people eating anyway!

Old 05-28-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
Those damn farmers! Growin cattle and food to feed milliins of people! Who do the think they are!?!?
I say let the people starve! Nature is more important than people eating anyway!

That's all well and good, I myself like a good steak from time to time. However, it's not necessary for farmers to be pigs about it. Nothing wrong with being a good neighbor.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:20 PM

160 posts, read 186,979 times
Old people like it here, and their population is growing, so I would expect the pumping to increase.

I'm surprised to learn that cattle farms here use a lot of water. My grandfather had big cattle farms with no plumbing.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:27 PM

149 posts, read 179,784 times
After spending the day reading about The Villages and sinkholes, I thought I'd share the best news article I've read on the subject. Lots of good technical data links in this article as well.

"In a scathing column, Orlando Sentinel’s Lauren Ritchie notes how the fledgling community in 1991 had a water permit to use 65 millions gallons a year, but by 2017 that rate reached “a stunning 12.4 billion gallons a year.” The local aquifer in Sumter County is also threatened by a controversial plan by a bottling company to pump nearly a half-million gallons of water a day—and double that rate during peak months. Despite the protests of Villagers worried that a falling water table will spur sinkholes, pumping will begin soon."

"The Science Behind Florida’s Sinkhole Epidemic"

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...mic-180969158/

Old 06-09-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
After spending the day reading about The Villages and sinkholes, I thought I'd share the best news article I've read on the subject. Lots of good technical data links in this article as well.

"In a scathing column, Orlando Sentinel’s Lauren Ritchie notes how the fledgling community in 1991 had a water permit to use 65 millions gallons a year, but by 2017 that rate reached “a stunning 12.4 billion gallons a year.” The local aquifer in Sumter County is also threatened by a controversial plan by a bottling company to pump nearly a half-million gallons of water a day—and double that rate during peak months. Despite the protests of Villagers worried that a falling water table will spur sinkholes, pumping will begin soon."

"The Science Behind Florida’s Sinkhole Epidemic"

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...mic-180969158/
Great article, thanks, Raisinet. Development combined with the pumping of groundwater seems to be a deadly combination. I wondered if this would affect home sales at The Villages, but judging from the number of people that choose to live on the flanks of an active volcano, I doubt it. Maybe if a resident or two gets swallowed in their sleep, that might slow things a little, but that's about it. The only way to be sure is to live outside of sinkhole alley. Which is a shame, because I really like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala