Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 02:22 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,248,860 times

Advertisements

The county has rules about cutting down trees. Be sure the county will let you cut the trees down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 12:56 PM

170 posts, read 205,149 times
Oftentimes a small job can cost as much as a larger job due to mere mobilization...

As mentioned above, those machines cost a lot of money. While they have to bring their equipment to your job, unload, set up, and do a small job, they would do the same set up and be there a lot longer on a larger job, if you follow...

I have no idea what your property looks like. A poster above stated $1000 to remove 1 tree. That isn't out of line as liability, insurance and workers comp is quite expensive for that line of work as it is considered dangerous.

Chainsaws are not to be underestimated on danger either. Complacency, 1 careless second, lose a leg or worse. They also kick sometimes, chains break, too much to list all possibilities...

What are you going to do with the debris; brush, tree trunks, etc., when they are cut down? They have to be carried off and typically pay to dump. While residents often can haul and dump yard debris for free, commercial vehicles have to pay...

Last edited by KenFL; 06-21-2018 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 01:11 PM

481 posts, read 648,545 times
We had High Maintenance Tree Service clean up after Irma. The quote from the insurance company's people was over $8000. High Maintenance did the work for about a tenth of that price. They also do clearing. They ground out the stumps. Arrived on time, did some extra work we requested after the initial estimate reasonably and without complaint, and left the place 100% better. https://www.highmaintenancetreeservice.com/clearing

Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 PM

160 posts, read 187,549 times
That's a great recommendation. Maybe I'll ask them about my annoying trees. I've been using Bob's, and I have nothing but good things to say about them, but I'm always up for saving money.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 PM

481 posts, read 648,545 times
Bob's estimate right after the storm was around $5500 and we had to dispose of the tree trunks, etc. That didn't include grinding the stumps of the 5 trees we lost and he didn't want to deal with one tree in an awkward place (on the privacy fence behind the pool). Of course, that was right after Irma and he could pick and choose what he wanted to do.

The company the insurance people sent out was from out of town and came in at $8000. I don't remember if they were going to dispose of the debris as my heart stopped with that price and I lost track of the conversation at that point.

The county was picking up the refuse if it was taken to the side of the road and High Maintenance moved all the debris to the right of way for pickup.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:35 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,118,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
Bob's estimate right after the storm was around $5500 and we had to dispose of the tree trunks, etc. That didn't include grinding the stumps of the 5 trees we lost and he didn't want to deal with one tree in an awkward place (on the privacy fence behind the pool). Of course, that was right after Irma and he could pick and choose what he wanted to do.

The company the insurance people sent out was from out of town and came in at $8000. I don't remember if they were going to dispose of the debris as my heart stopped with that price and I lost track of the conversation at that point.

The county was picking up the refuse if it was taken to the side of the road and High Maintenance moved all the debris to the right of way for pickup.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Hope the OP is still around and sees this.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:19 AM

49 posts, read 106,449 times
I actually had High Maintenance do a quote earlier this week. $7K to clear everything! Um, gonna have to pass on that.

They did give me the best quote to take down the two trees angling towards the house for $600 so I've hired them for that. I then contacted a few bush hoggers to come next week to quote on clearing all the brush but leaving the healthy trees where they will figure out if I can get a permit and burn or if it has to be hauled away. He said for 1/4 acre it shouldn't be more than $1500, so added with the tree removals totals $2100 which is the same work the guy who quoted me near $4K would do.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:59 PM

481 posts, read 501,161 times
In a similar situation. Got quoted real high. Decided to buy a chainsaw and "rape" the land myself. The nice thing is I am able to decide on what trees to keep and which ones to burn.
It takes a lot longer, and it's hard work, but it has saved me thousands. (Not to mention I'm pretty sure I dropped a few pounds doing the work :-)

Old 06-23-2018, 06:51 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,118,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
In a similar situation. Got quoted real high. Decided to buy a chainsaw and "rape" the land myself. The nice thing is I am able to decide on what trees to keep and which ones to burn.
It takes a lot longer, and it's hard work, but it has saved me thousands. (Not to mention I'm pretty sure I dropped a few pounds doing the work :-)
Well, if you want to rape some more land, come on up! Had a brief but rather violent little storm here this afternoon and got hit with what I guess they call a "downburst". Could have been one of those localized mini-tornados, but we didn't see anything reported. Anyhoo, all of a sudden the wind started lashing the trees on our property and we heard this weird vibrating sound and a couple of muffled thuds, looked outside and some large limbs came off one tree, hit another tree and now we've got pieces of tree limbs all over the backyard. Just us, no one else in the nabe.

We heard about one lady who used to live around here who got her roof peeled back from a localized tornado and it also happened a few houses down from where we used to live in Hillsborough County, where just a couple of houses side by side got hit. One got the roof taken off and the other had the carport wiped out. Everyone else was fine.

Fortunately for us, nothing hit the roof here, but it's so weird to see the limbs down and one tree sort of bent over about midway up, and no one else affected, apparently. So we got a little clearing of our own to do.

Lol, the weather raped our land.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:31 PM

160 posts, read 187,549 times
I got on the John Deere and raped the yard yesterday. I also got out the Roundup and raped quite a few weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: