Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 PM

49 posts, read 107,427 times

Advertisements

So I love my new house in the Ocala Waterway. It sits on a 0.41 lot, but the builder only cleared about 0.15 for the house and I've got about 1/4 acre backyard that is heavily wooded with lots of pines and brush/bushes. Originally I wasn't going to do anything with that but when we moved in, my neighbors had cleared out their portions which makes my wooded area look out of place and I started getting ideas for fencing and the back yard.

I've tried calling for estimates but only got one company to come out and look at the lot. They'd remove the brush, prepare the land to make it mowable, and stump grind the trees that would have to come down (the nonhealthy ones, about 3 of them) for just under 4K. Is this a reasonable estimate? It seems pretty high for just 1/4 acre. Anybody else have any experience with clearing land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
No personal experience clearing land but I have lived in the area since 1980. It isn't cheap and requires a lot of heavy equipment that isn't cheap, even if rented. Hopefully you might get some ideas from others who live in the area as well.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:20 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
First of all, AFNCO33, congrats on your new digs, I know you were looking forward to living there. Secondly, I don't have any any input to give, since I've never had it done.

However, are they still building in your area? If so, see if you can check with one of the crews doing the work. Sometimes you can find someone willing to do a little side work on the cheap.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:01 AM

160 posts, read 191,493 times
Bulldozer or chainsaws? I wouldn't pay someone to cut trees and grind stumps if I could find someone to rip them out by the roots with a bulldozer.

A skid steer with the right attachment takes about 30 seconds to tear out a stump.

I got an estimate for $1000 to cut one tree. That's not going to happen!

Old 06-14-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
Bulldozer or chainsaws? I wouldn't pay someone to cut trees and grind stumps if I could find someone to rip them out by the roots with a bulldozer.

A skid steer with the right attachment takes about 30 seconds to tear out a stump.

I got an estimate for $1000 to cut one tree. That's not going to happen!
Good Lord, that's a LOT of money!

Old 06-14-2018, 10:38 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Why can't you leave it alone, as habitat...instead of raping the land?

Old 06-14-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Why can't you leave it alone, as habitat...instead of raping the land?
Have you lived here, roosty? Don't get me wrong, I am very fond of trees, in fact my property is one of the few in our subdivision that is very "treesy". Consequently we have a lot of wildlife that wouldn't normally be seen on others' property in the neighborhood. I like it. But what I don't like is that we do get wild weather on occasion and the house is at risk of having the roof bashed in by a big old oak tree. Not a whole lot I can do about it since we're renting at the moment, except hope for the best. But I wouldn't consider removing that tree, and another one on the property that got hit by lightning and seems to be dead, raping the land. Pieces of the limbs occasionally fall off and I don't fancy getting klonked on the head while I'm out picking up the yard waste.

The OP should call the builder and have them finish the job.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM

160 posts, read 191,493 times
Does Mr. Roosty live in a forest? I'll bet he lives on raped land like the rest of us.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:04 PM

49 posts, read 107,427 times
Thanks all for the ideas.

Is it possible to post a picture or link to a picture of what the back-yard forest looks like? There's quite a bit of healthy pine trees which they would leave up, but no oaks or elms. All the trees are the ones with the super-trim trunks but are really tall and weathered Irma well better than the rest.

There are 3 trees though due to beetles that have to come down. One is dead and leaning precariously at the house. I was a little miffed the builder wouldn't remove it, but the contract said they would only clear 30 feet beyond the back of the house and the rest of the lot was up to me.

$4K just seems like a lot for a 1/4 acre. How in the world do people clear acres of land.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:56 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFNCO33 View Post
Thanks all for the ideas.

Is it possible to post a picture or link to a picture of what the back-yard forest looks like? There's quite a bit of healthy pine trees which they would leave up, but no oaks or elms. All the trees are the ones with the super-trim trunks but are really tall and weathered Irma well better than the rest.

There are 3 trees though due to beetles that have to come down. One is dead and leaning precariously at the house. I was a little miffed the builder wouldn't remove it, but the contract said they would only clear 30 feet beyond the back of the house and the rest of the lot was up to me.

$4K just seems like a lot for a 1/4 acre. How in the world do people clear acres of land.

I hear you. We bought 10 acres and wanted to keep most of our trees but still had a lot to clear. We started out by bush hogging the whole property. The rest we used a chainsaw and burned the debris. There was a lot of debris.

That does seem like a lot. How many trees do you have? The pines aren't that bad but they are full.

Have you tried asking on the Ocala Facebook pages?

Make sure your tree people are insured and bonded just in case there is a mishap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: