Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 7,107 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Alabama but will be retiring to one of the Lake County retirement communities in a year or so. We love what we've seen about the Plantation at Leesburg but would like to ask any current or former residents if they are aware of any flooding problems there in the past. Most of the real estate listings for this community are in flood zone X, but have noticed a few with a zone A designation which typically requires flood insurance, I believe. Thank you in advance for any & all responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 10:00 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,111,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaPalms View Post
We currently live in Alabama but will be retiring to one of the Lake County retirement communities in a year or so. We love what we've seen about the Plantation at Leesburg but would like to ask any current or former residents if they are aware of any flooding problems there in the past. Most of the real estate listings for this community are in flood zone X, but have noticed a few with a zone A designation which typically requires flood insurance, I believe. Thank you in advance for any & all responses.
I think it depends on how close the residence is to a lake or river.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 7,107 times
There are many small lakes / retention ponds in this community & looking at google earth many of the homes appear to be within 50-60ft of the waters edge, but it's impossible to determine the changes in elevation. Looking at the FEMA maps I would guess that at least 95% of the homes are in flood zone X, but it just so happens that a few that have been placed on the market recently are in zone A. Just trying to determine if we should even consider one of these zone A homes to purchase.

Does a guy name Faithful Frank still post on here? I believe he lived in or at least owned a home there. Hoping he will chime in.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:10 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
Can't tell you about flooding but remember "sink Holes" tend to be around retention ponds so I would not locate close to a water feature.

Try finding a local newspaper and see what they say about flooding.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:45 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
I remember the unnamed tropical storm from the mid 1990's that caused major flooding almost 1 mile inland in that area up to about 6 feet. It drained within a few days but it is hard to forget.

If you have a parcel ID for a specific property, you can check the property appraisal office to determine the flood plane/zones for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala