Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 07:00 PM

160 posts, read 188,855 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if people here usually kill coral snakes.

Today a coral snake paid me a visit while I was filling the tractor. I don't like killing snakes, but I have a friend whose young sons play here, and this thing was in the yard, so I figured I should try. The snake got away, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 07:08 PM

6,410 posts, read 10,227,023 times
Coral snakes are very shy be nature and don't aggressively attack unless provoked. In my opinion, I would leave them alone and discourage others from coming close. They have been around a lot longer than we have and deserve a little respect with all due caution.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:12 PM

The problem is that I can exercise caution, but a 7-year old may not.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:32 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,133,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
The problem is that I can exercise caution, but a 7-year old may not.
Exactly. Eliminate if you can. So far, I've only seen a black snake on my property.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:58 PM

My policy with pit vipers is to kill everyone I see, unless it's in a zoo. They bite people, pets, and livestock, and when they bite you, flesh rots, and you lose it forever. I would rather not bother coral snakes, but this one was in a bad place. I have to think it over.

I would never bother nonpoisonous snakes. The more, the better.

There are certain critters that have to GO, period. Coyotes, coons, moles, gophers, rats, mice, and squirrels near the house. I am debating exterminating rabbits as well, since they eat things people grow. And they are guilty of the high crime of tasting good.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
My policy with pit vipers is to kill everyone I see, unless it's in a zoo. They bite people, pets, and livestock, and when they bite you, flesh rots, and you lose it forever. I would rather not bother coral snakes, but this one was in a bad place. I have to think it over.

I would never bother nonpoisonous snakes. The more, the better.

There are certain critters that have to GO, period. Coyotes, coons, moles, gophers, rats, mice, and squirrels near the house. I am debating exterminating rabbits as well, since they eat things people grow. And they are guilty of the high crime of tasting good.
Good policy on the vipers, IMO. Don't think it over too long.

I'm OK with most of the critters you mentioned, as long as they don't bother me and there's not too many of them, except for the rats. We've got a hawk that roosts in one of the trees waiting for his next meal. Keeps the critter population down. We've got a rabbit I've become rather fond of, so far he or she has been quite adept at eluding the hawk.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 PM

Sigh, they're raping the land on one side of the road into our community from 200. Major bush hogging going on, leaving all these tall pines sticking up. Not sure if they're just logging it out, or if there's going to be houses or some commercial project going in. I guess I'll find out at the pool this weekend. Kind of a bummer, it was always so nice driving up that road with the trees and brush on either side.

Last edited by kmarc; 07-26-2018 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: word

Old 07-27-2018, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 7,142 times
Are you sure it was a Coral snake, and not a harmless Scarlet King snake?

Red Touch Yellow - Kills a Fellow
Red Touch Black - Venom Lack
Yellow Touches Red - Soon You'll Be Dead
Red Touches Black - Friend of Jack

Old 07-27-2018, 01:59 PM

24,347 posts, read 26,771,586 times
Quote:
I am wondering if people here usually kill coral snakes.

Today a coral snake paid me a visit while I was filling the tractor. I don't like killing snakes, but I have a friend whose young sons play here, and this thing was in the yard, so I figured I should try. The snake got away, however.

bbq, taste good

Old 07-27-2018, 02:02 PM

It was a coral snake, and it was not big enough to barbecue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala