Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:08 AM

7 posts, read 9,442 times

Advertisements

We're a retired couple with family in Marion Co., and are considering leaving North Florida for Ocala. We've looked in Trilogy and even stayed there for that two night trial experience.

Although we liked the houses and the amenities and, especially that Trilogy was affordable to us, we just came away unsure that we could ever adjust to the small lot/high density population of the place. Also have looked on the web ad other similar places (Stone Creek) but are now wondering if what we want is just a regular neighborhood? Maybe gated, but not necessary and west of I-75 preferably.

But mostly, a 3/2 house or similar on a lot that's a half acre or larger. We're taking 2200--2500 ft. sq.

We know Ocala generally---SR 200, SR 40, I-75, Paddock Mall, the restaurants and all that. We just don't know the neighborhoods, especially west of 75 that would fit the above criteria.

Can anybody point us in the right direction? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 7,133 times
I know this is going to be a little further south than you intend to go, but have you looked at The Plantation at Leesburg? Around 2800 homes, 100% built-out so only re-sales available, but lots are bigger, very well maintained & managed, only $95/mo HOA fee. Don't live there quite yet, but will be retiring in less that a year & it is where we intend to buy. Have visited The Villages, OTOTW, and many other 55+ communities & we like The Plantation the best.

You can check out their homes here: http://palrealty.net/2020application...tylistings.asp

Hope you find the place that's right for you.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:37 AM

Thanks for that, Bama, but I think moving as far south as Leesburg would defeat much of the purpose of moving as we want to be closer to family down there in Marion Co. But those houses look good and they fit our budget.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:57 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,259,110 times
Ok, I like a small lot and you a bigger lot. I do not spend any time using my lawn area. Do you and what for?

I do not think you will find noise from your neighbors home distributing you in your home with one possible exception. If you are on your patio and your neighbors patio is adjacent to yours you can probably hear what is going on. Buying an existing home you can make sure you do not have kissing patios. If someone likes to play loud music etc then you do have a problem but probably the same problem if you were on a little larger lot.

I do not think we can answer the question for you. But for you to get a good answer I think you should plan on renting for a year. Maybe a rent with the option to buy.

If you mean the looks of the community as you drive down the streets then looks for communities with more open space and winding roads. Look at Candler.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:19 AM

529 posts, read 1,164,738 times
I understand your hesitation concerning lot size. I think your bigger problem is deciding how much those amenities are worth to you. I am unaware of any "regular" communities with your prerequisite lot size AND amenities such as golf, pool, clubhouse, etc. within your preferred location. I could be wrong.

Dax

Old 07-30-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Ok, I like a small lot and you a bigger lot. I do not spend any time using my lawn area. Do you and what for?

I do not think you will find noise from your neighbors home distributing you in your home...

If you mean the looks of the community as you drive down the streets then looks for communities with more open space and winding roads. Look at Candler.

Yes, we have to agree to disagree on this one---I do want a bigger lot.

Why? Mainly privacy, not so much noise mitigation. I really don't want to have to say hi to guy next door every time I grill my hot dogs on the patio. I'm not anti-social, just would like at least that much back yard space.

Those lots in Trilogy with the back patios were sooo close together. And I'm not sure how well I'd adjust to that closeness since we have a spacious, but not huge, back yard patio area now, that I'd be reluctant to lose.

Hence, the desire for a larger---half acre, maybe or more--lot.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
I understand your hesitation concerning lot size. I think your bigger problem is deciding how much those amenities are worth to you. I am unaware of any "regular" communities with your prerequisite lot size AND amenities such as golf, pool, clubhouse, etc. within your preferred location. I could be wrong.

Dax

We DON'T think the 55+ communities and their amenities ARE what we want---hence the title of my thread.

My sought-after alternative is a smaller neighborhood where we could find a house on a quarter acre or larger lot. Don't really want the amenities---just a smaller neighborhood with more back yard privacy.

I hope this re-focuses the discussion---thanks for all the replies.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectNeighbor View Post
We're a retired couple with family in Marion Co., and are considering leaving North Florida for Ocala. We've looked in Trilogy and even stayed there for that two night trial experience.

Although we liked the houses and the amenities and, especially that Trilogy was affordable to us, we just came away unsure that we could ever adjust to the small lot/high density population of the place.
My apologies. I must have misunderstood.

Dax

Old 07-31-2018, 05:31 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,175,756 times
Have you looked at Marion Oaks? Many private lots, double lots, resales available or you can build out your own new home.

Downside for many people is it's a huge community platted in the 1970's that is only 20% built. A lot of people don't like older homes or the isolated feel of the area. They think it attracts a criminal element. But may be what you are looking for.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:44 AM

Perhaps like this? 8098 SW 62nd Ave, 34476? Sometimes, it's not just the size of the lot, it is location of the lot. Again, I may be mistaken.

Dax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala