Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:46 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,900,760 times

Advertisements

I was on the dmv site....
If I am reading this right, in order to get a Florida drivers license, I have to turn in my Nevada Drivers License and take a written test??

When I moved to Nevada from Ohio, all I did was exchange the license...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 05:11 AM

6,410 posts, read 10,224,261 times
This is correct. Each state has it's own rules/regulations. For example, I cannot have an active Real Estate licence in Florida and in another state simultaneously.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 08-06-2018 at 05:28 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 09:06 AM

Thanks. Found the info.. no written test is necessary

https://www.dmvflorida.org/drivers-l...-state-drivers

Old 08-06-2018, 11:38 AM

6,595 posts, read 7,266,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I was on the dmv site....
If I am reading this right, in order to get a Florida drivers license, I have to turn in my Nevada Drivers License and take a written test??

Fl will take your NV license and send it to NV.

You will probably have a vision test only. You can try without glasses and then retake if need be. Be sure to verify with your tester.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:45 PM

160 posts, read 188,773 times
If you haven't gotten a new license in a while, you may be surprised by the ID requirements. My dad has a Florida DL and needs to exchange it for an ID, and they want him to bring a passport and two utility bills. And he got his DL AFTER Homeland Security went nuts with the requirements.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
If you haven't gotten a new license in a while, you may be surprised by the ID requirements. My dad has a Florida DL and needs to exchange it for an ID, and they want him to bring a passport and two utility bills. And he got his DL AFTER Homeland Security went nuts with the requirements.
yep, its for the new "real" id.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Fl will take your NV license and send it to NV.

You will probably have a vision test only. You can try without glasses and then retake if need be. Be sure to verify with your tester.
I wish without glasses, been wearing them since about 6 years old

Old 08-06-2018, 03:34 PM

149 posts, read 180,170 times
Quote:
I was on the dmv site.... If I am reading this right, in order to get a Florida drivers license, I have to turn in my Nevada Drivers License and take a written test??

We just got our licenses last month. They confiscate your old license and you also sign a statement that you have surrendered ALL IDs and drivers licenses in your possession as part of the licensing process.

You have to prove residency AND identity with various documents that are listed on the DMV website. Having a passport is helpful.

And you have an eye test, which isn't overly tough. My spouse and I both passed it without glasses and we're in our 50s.

For the homestead exemption, we were required to show Florida drivers licenses AND vehicle registration. I thought vehicle registration was a bit weird.

The DMV also put us through the ringer on having to prove we paid sales tax on the new vehicle that we registered because it was purchased less than six months ago. Which was nerve-racking for a few minutes because technically we hadn't paid sales tax on the vehicle because the trade was worth more than the vehicle purchased. A few managers later, they finally blessed off on it and we didn't have to pay any sales tax on the car. If anyone is in this situation, then make sure you have the sales contract from the vehicle purchase with you, or they won't hesitate to tell you to come back when you do have it.

We went to the DMV in Ocala and it wasn't a fun day. You stand in line instead of being seated with a number.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
We just got our licenses last month. They confiscate your old license and you also sign a statement that you have surrendered ALL IDs and drivers licenses in your possession as part of the licensing process.

You have to prove residency AND identity with various documents that are listed on the DMV website. Having a passport is helpful.

And you have an eye test, which isn't overly tough. My spouse and I both passed it without glasses and we're in our 50s.

For the homestead exemption, we were required to show Florida drivers licenses AND vehicle registration. I thought vehicle registration was a bit weird.

The DMV also put us through the ringer on having to prove we paid sales tax on the new vehicle that we registered because it was purchased less than six months ago. Which was nerve-racking for a few minutes because technically we hadn't paid sales tax on the vehicle because the trade was worth more than the vehicle purchased. A few managers later, they finally blessed off on it and we didn't have to pay any sales tax on the car. If anyone is in this situation, then make sure you have the sales contract from the vehicle purchase with you, or they won't hesitate to tell you to come back when you do have it.

We went to the DMV in Ocala and it wasn't a fun day. You stand in line instead of being seated with a number.
Did it today..20 minutes. Super friendly in crystal river. We had all the docs for the license ready. It was expensive. $112 for 2. Just a vision test. They snipped our Nevada licenses and gave them back to us. We have till March 2019 for the homestead exemption

Old 08-08-2018, 07:21 AM

149 posts, read 180,170 times
Quote:
Did it today..20 minutes. Super friendly in crystal river. We had all the docs for the license ready. It was expensive. $112 for 2. Just a vision test. They snipped our Nevada licenses and gave them back to us. We have till March 2019 for the homestead exemption
Good stuff. Downtown Ocala actually confiscated our old drivers licenses.

You might want to check the filing requirement dates on the homestead exemption. Seems they told us it had to be filed by January something. Anyway please check so you don't miss out on a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala