Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 08:44 AM

1,129 posts, read 465,422 times

Advertisements

There was a really good show on UK tv last year about retirees and retiring to different countries, one episode featured Oak run and the people staying were overwhelmingly positive of it, funny characters from the UK but worth a look, oak run starts 5 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9wV5m_6nE

It's worth watching a bit further on seeing the comparison to a millionaire retiree community in Miami, Oak Run and its residents wins hands down.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 04:31 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,111,561 times
Thanks so much, brit, that was very interesting. I didn't know Oak Run had so many residents, I thought it was only 3600 as opposed to the 7000 they mentioned. Lol, they didn't get far out of the community, that gun and pawn shop is just up the street.

Interesting the fascination with guns and Trump.

Really, Oak Run did come off somewhat better than the Polo Club, in terms of the people.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:30 PM

1,129 posts, read 465,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Thanks so much, brit, that was very interesting. I didn't know Oak Run had so many residents, I thought it was only 3600 as opposed to the 7000 they mentioned. Lol, they didn't get far out of the community, that gun and pawn shop is just up the street.

Interesting the fascination with guns and Trump.

Really, Oak Run did come off somewhat better than the Polo Club, in terms of the people.
Your welcome, it made me smile, Oak run residents were really welcoming and friendly and there’s plenty to keep people busy there, the fees seemed reasonable to me for what you get, the OP could do a lot worse than buying there.

You can keep the posh polo club for me, awful people.

The UKs fascinated by the American obsession with guns, we just don’t get it ? after decades of gun control it comes as a shock, especially when we see mass shootings and instead of rolling out gun control like the UK and Australia, Americans roll out more guns

Trumps a one off though, the whole worlds watching open mouthed waiting for the next tweet, I’m sure a lot of Americans are too

Old 11-19-2018, 06:32 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,111,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Your welcome, it made me smile, Oak run residents were really welcoming and friendly and there’s plenty to keep people busy there, the fees seemed reasonable to me for what you get, the OP could do a lot worse than buying there.

You can keep the posh polo club for me, awful people.

The UKs fascinated by the American obsession with guns, we just don’t get it ? after decades of gun control it comes as a shock, especially when we see mass shootings and instead of rolling out gun control like the UK and Australia, Americans roll out more guns

Trumps a one off though, the whole worlds watching open mouthed waiting for the next tweet, I’m sure a lot of Americans are too
The Polo Club segment was awful. All those women with plastic surgery, kind of creepy.

Americans don't have as much of an obsession with guns as you might think. That is media hype. The ones with the obsession are the folks who want to see the guns taken away. It's all they can talk about. The mass shootings are mainly perpetrated by brutal, rogue elements in the US deep state. Our founders were remarkably prescient, and understood very well what a government could do to its own citizens. More people don't have guns than do, but even many who don't want to know that if they need one, they can have one.

Trump's tweet yesterday was a doozie. The target richly deserved it.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:34 AM

676 posts, read 711,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
There was a really good show on UK tv last year about retirees and retiring to different countries, one episode featured Oak run and the people staying were overwhelmingly positive of it, funny characters from the UK but worth a look, oak run starts 5 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9wV5m_6nE

It's worth watching a bit further on seeing the comparison to a millionaire retiree community in Miami, Oak Run and its residents wins hands down.

That video was very interesting to me. I live in south florida, and I know there’s a difference if I would go further up north in the state. That video confirmed it. It was also very amusing. I liked it a lot.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:22 PM

26 posts, read 43,626 times
Default Shopping etc., using golf cart

I have been reading this thread with interest. I loved the YouTube video!

I too am looking at Oak Run and others. Does anyone know if it is possible to golf cart to Publix, grocers, etc., or is everything done by car?

Thanks,
Karen

Old 12-12-2018, 05:40 PM

Thanks very much. Besides OTOW, do you know of any 55 communities in your area that allow golf cart shopping? What about Stone Creek?

Thanks

Old 12-12-2018, 05:44 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenfonseca View Post
Thanks very much. Besides OTOW, do you know of any 55 communities in your area that allow golf cart shopping? What about Stone Creek?

Thanks
No
OTOW has been working for a long time to expand more access to additional shopping but it is slow going with the county.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
No
OTOW has been working for a long time to expand more access to additional shopping but it is slow going with the county.

Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate it.
Karen

Old 03-24-2019, 11:50 AM

57 posts, read 51,020 times
I have been getting real estate feeds for several of the communities in Ocala since this past Feb when I toured Oak Run and really liked it. Of all the places I get feeds for, Oak Run has about 5 times as many houses going up for sale. I read about the legal feud that some residents had with the developer, which was resolved in the developer's favor. I read that it is in appeal now and that the residents who brought the action had to pay the developer's legal fees. I also read a few resident mtg. minutes which cited common area problems that had been going on for a year.

When I was there the heated pool, which I would want to use in winter, was closed for repairs.

Are there any current residents who can comment on conditions there now? (March 2019) What accounts for all the houses going up for sale? OTOTW has far fewer house listings and it is bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala