Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:46 PM

26 posts, read 43,626 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with these?

We have definitely settled on OTOW, and are trying hard to do our homework. Our move is a year +/- off.

Have looked at new single-family homes in OTOW, not any resales. For financial reasons, we thought we should also check on townhomes in Friendship Villas and also Americana Village (I think these names are right). We live out of state, so that means an additional trip to Ocala.

We are also looking at villas in OTOW - not in Indigo East - bc we want to be more in the center of things as opposed to the outskirts like Indigo East is.

A pretty savvy friend warned us about the age of the townhomes/villas, noise factor sharing walls with your neighbors.

Also, with regard to pest control, if we bring in pest control service and our neighbors do not, does that mean we will still have bug problems?

These things above are important to us.

I have seen for the money, we could get a townhome that is in desperate need of major updating, gut where we have to - making it how we want it - and still come out much cheaper than new.

I know energy efficiency also comes into play, and we would have to consider this also.

Any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 01:59 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,111,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenfonseca View Post

Also, with regard to pest control, if we bring in pest control service and our neighbors do not, does that mean we will still have bug problems?
In my experience, what it means is that your neighbors will have increased bug problems, since your pest control will drive the pests out of your home and into your neighbor's, if the homes are attached.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
In my experience, what it means is that your neighbors will have increased bug problems, since your pest control will drive the pests out of your home and into your neighbor's, if the homes are attached.
Thanks, Kmarc. Makes good sense.

What about the noise factor, etc.? Do you know these units at all?

Thanks again.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:45 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,111,561 times
Quote:
Thanks, Kmarc. Makes good sense.

What about the noise factor, etc.? Do you know these units at all?

Thanks again.
No, I don't live in OTOW, I just have personal experience with pest control in attached housing. I lived in a condo years ago where my neighbors did a major fumigation and I was the beneficiary of the pests that were driven out. So naturally I did a major fumigation of my own. Dueling pest control!

rjm1cc is the poster who is very knowledgeable about the community, and I think beatkay also lived there for a while and made mention that she liked the villas. I was wondering about those attached units myself, as far as the sound factor is concerned, just out of curiosity. So I hope someone can give you a straight-up answer on that.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
No, I don't live in OTOW, I just have personal experience with pest control in attached housing. I lived in a condo years ago where my neighbors did a major fumigation and I was the beneficiary of the pests that were driven out. So naturally I did a major fumigation of my own. Dueling pest control!

rjm1cc is the poster who is very knowledgeable about the community, and I think beatkay also lived there for a while and made mention that she liked the villas. I was wondering about those attached units myself, as far as the sound factor is concerned, just out of curiosity. So I hope someone can give you a straight-up answer on that.
Hi kmarc,

Your pest control duel gave me a good chuckle!

I do hope someone familiar with the townhomes and villas responds for sure.

Thanks, Karen

Old 12-18-2018, 04:54 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
Quote:
Is anyone familiar with these?

We have definitely settled on OTOW, and are trying hard to do our homework. Our move is a year +/- off.

Have looked at new single-family homes in OTOW, not any resales. For financial reasons, we thought we should also check on townhomes in Friendship Villas and also Americana Village (I think these names are right). We live out of state, so that means an additional trip to Ocala.

We are also looking at villas in OTOW - not in Indigo East - bc we want to be more in the center of things as opposed to the outskirts like Indigo East is.

A pretty savvy friend warned us about the age of the townhomes/villas, noise factor sharing walls with your neighbors.

These things above are important to us.

I have seen for the money, we could get a townhome that is in desperate need of major updating, gut where we have to - making it how we want it - and still come out much cheaper than new.

I know energy efficiency also comes into play, and we would have to consider this also.

Any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks.
You have good question but getting an accurate answer that relates to the unit you end up buying is probably impossible. I have not heard of any of the problems you mentioned but my guess is that for some units the problems exist. The problem could also come up in a few years when a new neighbor moves in.

My suggestion would be to try and rent a unit for a year. Maybe rent with an option to buy. You might be able to get a 6 month lease too. If you are going to buy an older home maybe rent and look at each home as it comes on the market. Since you are leaving here you can talk to the joining neighbors and see if you can uncover any problems.

Yes you can get "bargains" based on the renovations that have not been done.

You can do your own bug spraying and I would not expect a problem from your neighbors.

The older the unit the less energy efficient I think you will find it. The materials used today were not used back then. You could have the expense of replace the heating/cooling system and roof (scheduled by OTOW) so pay attention to these costs when you buy.

I would check on the source of heat, probably electric. Hard to know your costs as you might set the thermometer differently than the prior owner.

I have heard complaints about the acorns and leaves from the trees.

I think you have to decide between a single home or a row of home independent of price if you can. If price is important then you might not really have a choice.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You have good question but getting an accurate answer that relates to the unit you end up buying is probably impossible. I have not heard of any of the problems you mentioned but my guess is that for some units the problems exist. The problem could also come up in a few years when a new neighbor moves in.

My suggestion would be to try and rent a unit for a year. Maybe rent with an option to buy. You might be able to get a 6 month lease too. If you are going to buy an older home maybe rent and look at each home as it comes on the market. Since you are leaving here you can talk to the joining neighbors and see if you can uncover any problems.

Yes you can get "bargains" based on the renovations that have not been done.

You can do your own bug spraying and I would not expect a problem from your neighbors.

The older the unit the less energy efficient I think you will find it. The materials used today were not used back then. You could have the expense of replace the heating/cooling system and roof (scheduled by OTOW) so pay attention to these costs when you buy.

I would check on the source of heat, probably electric. Hard to know your costs as you might set the thermometer differently than the prior owner.

I have heard complaints about the acorns and leaves from the trees.

I think you have to decide between a single home or a row of home independent of price if you can. If price is important then you might not really have a choice.
Hi rjm1cc,

You have given me a lot of good advice to digest. I do think you are right and renting for a while might be a very good idea.

We can afford the single family home, even new, but are trying to be frugal so that money never becomes an issue.

I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Thanks very much, Karen

Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 PM

9 posts, read 10,305 times
Hi, I am considering OTOW also. Are there speed bumps thru out OTOW? Thanks

Old 12-19-2018, 11:25 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman6813 View Post
Hi, I am considering OTOW also. Are there speed bumps thru out OTOW? Thanks
No through the property, but
Some entrance and exit gates have speed bumps.

Also some painted stripes that have a slight bump on some exits and one intersection to remind people to stop.

Speed bumps do get discussed so more are always possible.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:31 PM

150 posts, read 230,896 times
I did rent one of the rare duplexes at OTOW when I was there, but it was a fairly recent build; I want to say 2005 ish, so the energy efficiency was quite different than the townhomes, the older sixplex villas, and SFs. I LOVE that little townhouse section they have; it's just cuter than a bug's butt, but I have no real knowledge of energy costs. However, anytime you're sharing walls, your energy costs will be lower, and most of the TH's there have some tree coverage.

As for sound, how loud do 55+ folks get? Okay, only half-joking cause if you get a neighbor with Judge Judy cranked up to 11 all day, that would be damned annoying. But these are not party animals folks, really.

I did see a few one-story villas for rent in there, and that would be an ideal way for you to check out the n'hoods. If you're an active adult, there are a ton of things to do. If all you do is watch TV all day, then frankly, there are cheaper places to live. If just depends if the amenities are worth $400+ a month to you.

If I remember correctly, furnished rentals ran for 7 months minimum and unfurnished were 12 months. Something to do with hotel taxes or the like. I went through the OTOW sales office, but there are private owner rentals in there as well. They did outlaw Air BnB arrangements, so you'll have to commit for a while.

I'd also suggest you do the weekend stay and get more info that way.

Good luck with your move! And welcome to Ocala!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala