Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 PM

37 posts, read 31,767 times

Advertisements

One of you mentioned that they occasionally cast a male monkey out.
What is the purpose of that? So the monkey can look for additional sources of food then go back and tell the others?
Is that what happened to the guy with the deer feeder?
Because that was a lot of monkeys.
Do they mess with outdoor cats?
I think that they are so cute in the park.
But how common is it for them to go through trash cans and rip through people's gardens?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
Several years ago, we got a Rehsus monkey that was captured by animal control who was "shopping" outside in downtown Ocala at the Cascades Mall (as it was known at that time). I suspect if that if there are too many males in the pack that the weakest males are driven out by the group.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Several years ago, we got a Rehsus monkey that was captured by animal control who was "shopping" outside in downtown Ocala at the Cascades Mall (as it was known at that time). I suspect if that if there are too many males in the pack that the weakest males are driven out by the group.
Why would they drive male monkeys out of the group?
And why would it matter if they were the weakest males or the strongest males?
It's not like they hunt other animals for food.
I don't understand.

And that reminds me, I also have an animal control question.
If I see a monkey outside of the park is there anyone else that I can call besides animal control?
Do any of the theme parks adopt them for their animal safari situations?
Because I would rather send a monkey to go jump on the cars of tourists then send a monkey to its death.

I won't call animal control if I see a monkey because they will probably kill it. But the next person that sees it might call them.
So is there any one else that I could call to take it to a safe place to avoid that from happening?

Old 02-13-2019, 01:50 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
I am not a licensed animal behaviorist but only offered an opinion why the weakest males might be driven out.

Keep in mind that animal control isn't quite the same as the pound trapping a stray dog or cat. It could be a Game and Fish representative called in as if it were a bear or alligator in your backyard. The animal may not be put down or into a research facility, most are merely relocated to a different area where they do not pose a credible threat to humans, could be a zoo or a wildlife preserve.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I am not a licensed animal behaviorist but only offered an opinion why the weakest males might be driven out.
Thanks. I googled it before I asked but didn't see anything about that.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind that animal control isn't quite the same as the pound trapping a stray dog or cat. It could be a Game and Fish representative called in as if it were a bear or alligator in your backyard. The animal may not be put down or into a research facility, most are merely relocated to a different area where they do not pose a credible threat to humans, could be a zoo or a wildlife preserve.
Thanks. Hopefully they all get sent to wildlife preserves.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:21 PM

1,129 posts, read 465,422 times
They do move about, just after we bought our first house in Florida there was a tv crew filming not far away, the guy delivering furniture told us there were monkeys that had made their way down and settled in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCb7wm-09FE

Old 03-02-2019, 09:26 PM

784 posts, read 718,200 times
There was a monkey in Williston, FL for a long time. Eventually it was caught. Different type of monkey though.

https://www.wesh.com/article/officia...on-fla/4429614

Old 03-09-2019, 08:22 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,086,354 times
I recently read a list of invasive species breeding in Florida and 3 species of monkeys were on there: vervet monkeys from Africa, rhesus monkeys from Asia and capuchin monkeys from South America.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 PM

490 posts, read 577,912 times
Male monkeys from the silver spring colony have made it as far south as tampa bay several times. A few years ago one was spotted southbound from oldsmar , then Clearwater where it pooped on customer s heads in trees over a Perkins. He continued south in Pinellas county before he could could go no further due to being cut off by tampa bay in St Petersburg at Pinellas Point. For a couple months he was hard to track or trap. Finally he was caught using a mirror, he was very lonely in Lakewood. During this period some woman was feeding the monkey, she was nipped getting to close. Her reward was rabies shot. The monkey wasn't rabid luckily when caught because it was still alive much later. The monkey was moved to a home in Pasco county.
Once a male is forced out they will never be accepted back from the tribe they left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala