Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM

49 posts, read 443,044 times

Advertisements

I have been looking into (via email, web - not actual visits) Stone Creek (SC), On Top of the World (OTOW) and SummerGlen. I have gotten different impressions from different people - as expected.

The one thing that is throwing me is the question of traffic.
Pro SC/OTOW folks have said that it is close to shopping and better than SG because SG requires travel on the interstate and is behind a truckstop (?)

Pro SG folks have said travel there is better since SC/OTOW leads to a state road that is very congested.

Can anyone in the know (i.e a resident) help me out here?

Thanks.

JohnG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 PM

24 posts, read 143,022 times
I live in SG which is about ten miles east of OTOTW or Stone Creek.

Check out maps.google.com and you will notice that RT 200/I-75/Rt 484 form a triangle. SC is close to 200/484. SG is close to 484/I-75.

Jake

Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 AM

14 posts, read 97,402 times
Default SummerGlen is well located

Visitors sometimes get the impression that SummerGlen is not as well located for shopping and other conveniences as are Stone Creek and On Top Of The World. That's because SummerGlen is located away from the major traffic congesion on SR 200 and other parts of downtown Ocala.

But shopping and other services, including a major medical center and a Wal-Mart Supercenter, are now located at the intersection of SR 200 and CR-484. This intersection is just a few miles from SummerGlen on CR484, which is a very easy drive without having to get on the Interstate.

Residents kind of think of SummerGlen as living in the country right next to the city. The community is nestled amid beautiful horse farms in a quiet country setting that is very easy on driving. Our new rear entrance (to be completed in March 2009) will mean that residents have access to both a major pharmacy convenience store and grocery store less than three miles away down quiet residential streets.

When it's time to go out for dinner, entertainment, etc., or enjoya wider variety of shopping, you can be in the heart of Ocala in less than 15 minutes. It really is the best of both worlds.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,142 times
Default cost of homes in SummerGlen

Does anyone know why the home prices are so much lower than in other similar communities? We want to build a new home and their prices seem so much lower than all the rest. Was just wondering if they use cheap materials and that is how they keep the cost down. My other thought was maybe the area was not that good and that was why. Any insite on this from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-30-2009, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 18,254 times
Default Traffic

Traffic in Mid Florida, Ocala, above Orlando can be horrible in the winter months. It can take you forever to go some place, but if you are retired, why does it matter? I find the coast much nicer, closer to the Atlantic (no hurricanes ever hardly, as they tend to come up the Gulf and middle of Florida). I find the area over near Daytona and down to Melbourne, and Stuart to be wonderful, and no problem moving around. Merritt Island is a dream if you like to boat and eat at nice restaurants. Close to the Orlando Airport, Cape Canaveral and Kennedy if you have guest. Just my opinion. Traffic is pretty bad in the winter months in middle of florida and its hotter than being on the Atlantic where you have a cool breeze constantly, and actually need a sweatshirt in July at night.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:21 PM

15 posts, read 54,661 times
I'm thinking of looking into SummerGlenn. I know these posts are a few years old - but are there monthly fees and is the community still as nice as what you said it was back in 2008?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 PM

15 posts, read 54,661 times
not sure where to post this and i've already posted a "reply", but if you still live in SummerGlenn are you happy there and has much changed since the older posts were made? I'm thinking of looking into this community and was wondering if there were monthly fees and if so what do they range. thanks so much

Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 AM

14 posts, read 97,402 times
The monthly fees at SummerGlen are $125 per month, probably the lowest of any of the premier retirement communities in Central Florida. This fee includes upkeep of the grounds, staffing the gatehouse, and use of ALL recreational facilities, except golf (you can play golf for a per round fee or join as an equity member and pay annual dues). This fee also includes lawn mowing, edging and blowing of driveway and walk. Most over-55 communities do not mow your lawns, and the charges for this alone can eaily be $75-$100 per month. This fee has been the same for the past several years, and the association is operating in the black (without a subsidy from the developer), so the fees should be stable in the future.

It's important to understand that SummerGlen is quite different from almost any other adult communities in that it is entirely resident owned. In most communities the developer retains control of the golf course and sometimes the recreational facilities. This means that once development is complete, homeowners will still be paying the developer for use of their facilities. At SummerGlen, all facilities will be turned over to homeowners. The equity members of the golf course will also have the opportunity to purchase the course.

Understanding how the retirement community you choose will be owned after development should be a very important part of your decision-making process.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 AM

5 posts, read 43,907 times
Default Fees at SummerGlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleazer View Post
The monthly fees at SummerGlen are $125 per month, probably the lowest of any of the premier retirement communities in Central Florida. This fee includes upkeep of the grounds, staffing the gatehouse, and use of ALL recreational facilities, except golf (you can play golf for a per round fee or join as an equity member and pay annual dues). This fee also includes lawn mowing, edging and blowing of driveway and walk. Most over-55 communities do not mow your lawns, and the charges for this alone can eaily be $75-$100 per month. This fee has been the same for the past several years, and the association is operating in the black (without a subsidy from the developer), so the fees should be stable in the future.

It's important to understand that SummerGlen is quite different from almost any other adult communities in that it is entirely resident owned. In most communities the developer retains control of the golf course and sometimes the recreational facilities. This means that once development is complete, homeowners will still be paying the developer for use of their facilities. At SummerGlen, all facilities will be turned over to homeowners. The equity members of the golf course will also have the opportunity to purchase the course.

Understanding how the retirement community you choose will be owned after development should be a very important part of your decision-making process.

While the maintenance fees are low now, the golf course is having it's struggles in staying afloat. (2010) Attend some of the meetings and listen well. What never seems to get mentioned is the water. Marion County water is expensive and terrible tasting, so you will undoubtably buy drinking water or at least a filter, there are NO WELLS allowed in SummerGlen. Your sprinklers run off city water and the price gets exhorbant. Frost killed the lawns the two years we were renting there and the homeowners MUST replace them for appearances if you cannot nurse them back to health. You have only so long to try or the association cites you and if you don't comply, they will replace it and charge you. What you may save right now on maintenance I don't see how it's possible it could last as they'd like you to think.
My advice...Always RENT at least two years, long enough to attend meetings and pay attention to the reality of the place, and not just the fun it feels like when you visit there. Their motto is..."One Tour and You're Sure". I say, "Slow down!"
My motto after renting there..."Rent two years and open your ears".
We have definately moved on. Too many problems with construction. (read my other post to see details.)

Last edited by livedthere2; 09-02-2010 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: added "Slow Down".

Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 AM

8 posts, read 26,760 times
Default Summer Glen Relocation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by easylife54 View Post
I'm thinking of looking into SummerGlenn. I know these posts are a few years old - but are there monthly fees and is the community still as nice as what you said it was back in 2008?

Hi just wondering where you ended up moving? We are also looking at Summer Glen and was wondering if you are there now and do you like it? We are coming down in January, 2011 staying in the guest house for 4 days and 3 nights but think that's not enough time to judge whether or not to move there? Can you shed some light on this development? (Summer Glen)? Thanks, Jean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala