Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 09:04 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,120,822 times

Advertisements

Is anything as lovely as the moon over Ocala on a clear night? I must say, I'm rather partial to it, and the misty blue light that filters down through the trees. It sort of reminds me of the moon light in that scene in the movie The Sound of Music when Captain Von Trapp proposes to Maria by the gazebo on the grounds of his estate.

I've lived in a number of places in Florida over the years, and always thought the moonlight over the water in South Florida was charming, but I have to say, of all the places I've lived in Florida, I like the moon over Ocala the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 05:19 PM

3,242 posts, read 2,076,706 times
If you enjoy breathtaking views of the night sky there are some pretty neat vacation spots and camping solutions throughout the US, as well as around the globe. In my opinion there is no way to to describe nighttime views absent of so-called light pollution in any way other than awe-inspiring. Even here in and around Ocala, the average person is able to see perhaps 1/30th (or less) of the otherwise easily viewable stars with the naked eye, and that translates to missing out on tens of thousands of them at any given moment. Especially so when atmospheric conditions are less than optimal. Turns out the night sky is not in fact just dotted with little lights, but emblazoned with them, along with a rich menagerie of colors most people will never get to see without exposure to the photography of precious few others.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
If you enjoy breathtaking views of the night sky there are some pretty neat vacation spots and camping solutions throughout the US, as well as around the globe. In my opinion there is no way to to describe nighttime views absent of so-called light pollution in any way other than awe-inspiring. Even here in and around Ocala, the average person is able to see perhaps 1/30th (or less) of the otherwise easily viewable stars with the naked eye, and that translates to missing out on tens of thousands of them at any given moment. Especially so when atmospheric conditions are less than optimal. Turns out the night sky is not in fact just dotted with little lights, but emblazoned with them, along with a rich menagerie of colors most people will never get to see without exposure to the photography of precious few others.
True. But this is where I am right now and I was just enjoying the evening here and the light drifting down.

I know it is OT, but since we're on the subject, where in the US would you recommend for optimal night sky viewing?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 PM

529 posts, read 1,163,222 times
I also enjoy our full moons. Nothing like floating in the pool, in the "barco-lounger", with a cup of coffee late at night, and basking in the moonlight.

I have seen night skies far from any artificial light, and while beautiful, at my age, I appreciate having fresh coffee and a modern bathroom readily accessible. :-)

Dax

Old 02-18-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
I also enjoy our full moons. Nothing like floating in the pool, in the "barco-lounger", with a cup of coffee late at night, and basking in the moonlight.

I have seen night skies far from any artificial light, and while beautiful, at my age, I appreciate having fresh coffee and a modern bathroom readily accessible. :-)

Dax
Amen, Dax. I myself am partial to accessibility to proper sanitary facilities.

With that said, as I mentioned in one of my first posts about the area, in general I like the quality of the light here, both moon and sun. It's very different from other spots in Florida where I've lived.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
True. But this is where I am right now and I was just enjoying the evening here and the light drifting down.

I know it is OT, but since we're on the subject, where in the US would you recommend for optimal night sky viewing?

I enjoy any view of the night sky I can get. For various reasons I don't sleep much, and, because I'm disinclined to disturb the Mrs., I frequently lounge in the backyard or even the bed of my truck, along with a quality scotch whiskey, at night when skies & weather permits.

As far as US night sky viewing goes (and again, stressing optimal conditions including season, weather, etc.), and without being out-to-sea or in Hawaiian locations:
  • Death Valley, Nevada
  • Big Bend National Park, Texas
  • Cherry Springs State Park, Pennsylvania
  • Denali National Park, Alaska (worth mentioning for wintry Northern Lights viewing in particular)
There are others for sure, just takes more digging/planning, and ability/willingness to go truly into remote territory. Utah and Colorado have some good prospects, as an example.

For Florida, Big Pine Key is probably the best (and is also unique for stargazing in the US as the only spot where the Southern Cross is visible), followed by St. George Island up in the panhandle for general stargazing.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I enjoy any view of the night sky I can get. For various reasons I don't sleep much, and, because I'm disinclined to disturb the Mrs., I frequently lounge in the backyard or even the bed of my truck, along with a quality scotch whiskey, at night when skies & weather permits.

As far as US night sky viewing goes (and again, stressing optimal conditions including season, weather, etc.), and without being out-to-sea or in Hawaiian locations:
  • Death Valley, Nevada
  • Big Bend National Park, Texas
  • Cherry Springs State Park, Pennsylvania
  • Denali National Park, Alaska (worth mentioning for wintry Northern Lights viewing in particular)
There are others for sure, just takes more digging/planning, and ability/willingness to go truly into remote territory. Utah and Colorado have some good prospects, as an example.

For Florida, Big Pine Key is probably the best (and is also unique for stargazing in the US as the only spot where the Southern Cross is visible), followed by St. George Island up in the panhandle for general stargazing.
Thank you so much, Opinion! I did not know that about Big Pine and shall have to take a trip at a time when the Southern Cross can be seen.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Thank you so much, Opinion! I did not know that about Big Pine and shall have to take a trip at a time when the Southern Cross can be seen.

You're quite welcome. Don't forget to take pictures!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 PM

37 posts, read 31,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post

Dax
I wore a sweatshirt in Ocala the night of the snow moon. Can't imagine floating in water during it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: