Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 3,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I was taking your advice (bold/underline/italicized above) and using the data provided. If you didn't intend for me to use that data, you should've provided a different source. Your recommended source shows that the average rental cost for a designer home in the Villages is well over $2000/month for the months of June, July, and August.
Thanks for all your posts. Prior to the virus and all the disruptions, we had settled on a designer home for $1500 a month, june thru august, 1925 sq ft i think. Before sending any deposit this virus issue came up and we gave up on our summer trip, rethought everything. Had offers from $1200 to $2000 a month from at least 6 sources. After contacting and talking to so many homeowners in TV, we realised the political atmosphere was another put off. Thanks for your posts. AM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 07:03 PM

3,277 posts, read 2,244,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky1812 View Post
Thanks for all your posts. Prior to the virus and all the disruptions, we had settled on a designer home for $1500 a month, june thru august, 1925 sq ft i think. Before sending any deposit this virus issue came up and we gave up on our summer trip, rethought everything. Had offers from $1200 to $2000 a month from at least 6 sources. After contacting and talking to so many homeowners in TV, we realised the political atmosphere was another put off. Thanks for your posts. AM
The political atmosphere is definitely weird. The good news though, is that the majority of the weirdness will be over in November.

Lots of conservatives here. But also lots of folks who are conservative, but don't get in your face about it. They have their opinions, they keep the politics out of their conversations and off their bumper stickers, and are actually a lot of fun to be around.

It's just a very LOUD minority that makes things difficult - and many of those conservatives agree with me about that (I am obviously not conservative).

Also remember - the place attracts conservatives because the majority of everyone else either a) won't move here or b) is already here, just not very vocal about it.

The more of "everyone else" who comes down, the less conservative the place will be. Food for thought.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:50 AM

20 posts, read 50,658 times
Might be a silly question. Wondering if most houses in the Villages have alarms. If they don’t, are there a need for them? Thank you.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSurfer29 View Post
Might be a silly question. Wondering if most houses in the Villages have alarms. If they don’t, are there a need for them? Thank you.
No, and no.

I imagine some of the higher-end homes have alarms, but we're talking the $750,000-6Million homes.

Now that we have "smart homes" and "smart security" where everyone and their brother can install a Nest system and use their cell phone to monitor it 24/7, it's possible we have more of them than I'd expect.

But you don't see a lot of those ADP or "this home protected by..." signs in windows. And honestly - those signs are more of a deterrent than the actual security system. The system only works after someone has already broken into your home. The sign makes people think twice about even trying.

So if you're concerned, just buy a "this home protected by" sign somewhere and put it up on the window of your front door.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:25 PM

20 posts, read 50,658 times
Quote:
No, and no.

I imagine some of the higher-end homes have alarms, but we're talking the $750,000-6Million homes.

Now that we have "smart homes" and "smart security" where everyone and their brother can install a Nest system and use their cell phone to monitor it 24/7, it's possible we have more of them than I'd expect.

But you don't see a lot of those ADP or "this home protected by..." signs in windows. And honestly - those signs are more of a deterrent than the actual security system. The system only works after someone has already broken into your home. The sign makes people think twice about even trying.

So if you're concerned, just buy a "this home protected by" sign somewhere and put it up on the window of your front door.
Thank you Ghaati, I appreciate the information.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:04 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,178,001 times
Smile Question about this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Depends on your definition of active. My 86 year old dad plays golf 4 times a week. My mother also plays golf, but recently took up sculpting. There are many people here living independently into their 90s. I’ve seen a couple of folks over 100 enjoying the entertainment at the squares. As someone else pointed out, people drive golf carts long after giving up their cars. They are also testing self driving cars here.

When one does have enough health problems that it affects their day some do sell and move in with their kids, some get help aides, some move into the plethora of assisted living/memory care places around here.

I had to laugh at the assumption that active retirement is ends after your 60s.
If we were able to buy a home there as a 2nd home and rent it out if not there (or not) in our 60's but not move until we were in our 70's, are we aged out?

Do people look down on older people just coming in at that time?

We would want to be very social.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
If we were able to buy a home there as a 2nd home and rent it out if not there (or not) in our 60's but not move until we were in our 70's, are we aged out?

Do people look down on older people just coming in at that time?

We would want to be very social.
No, it's not looked down upon. The rental thing is, to some extent. Tenants don't have ties to the property or the community, they're not invested financially, socially, or emotionally. Most tenants are fine and fit in with no problems at all, and treat the property as if it were their own. Others, don't care because they don't have to care. It's not theirs, and who and what army are gonna make them leave, if the landlord isn't even living in the same state, let alone the same community.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:55 AM

2,266 posts, read 1,555,795 times
Quote:
No, and no.

I may be wrong but are there really homes that high in The Villages?
I could not find any homes that sold for over $2M in the last 3 years.

Zillow has notoriously incorrect numbers when you investigate the transaction & property tax history further.
example- they show a 3600 sq ft home selling for $5.7M when it actually sold for $570,000.

What was your source?

Last edited by frankrj; 07-26-2020 at 07:10 AM..

Old 07-26-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I may be wrong but are there really homes that high in The Villages?
I could not find any homes that sold for over $2M in the last 3 years.

Zillow has notoriously incorrect numbers when you investigate the transaction & property tax history further.
example- they show a 3600 sq ft home selling for $5.7M when it actually sold for $570,000.

What was your source?
My source is the Villages Homefinder webpage, and some understanding of the history of the Villages as a resident who has actually been to some of the open houses here when they were for sale. Zillow only shows homes via MLS. MOST Villages homes are sold via the Villages Listing service (VLS), and are not allowed to be listed on the MLS. And in fact, you can't even use the street-view option on Google Maps to access most of the streets in the Villages. The higher-end homes typically will not ever be publically listed. There is a very exclusive neighborhood in the Villages that was the original Morse family compound here.

Most of the uber-high-end homes don't get sold - they remain with the families that bought them over a decade ago. So it's not likely you'd see them listed, whether via the MLS or the VLS.

There are a handful of homes for sale over $1mil at the moment via the VLS, the most expensive is 5 bedroom 3.5 bathroom Kings Bay model, 3672 square feet "under heat" for $1.475M.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:00 AM

2,266 posts, read 1,555,795 times
Quote:
My source is the Villages Homefinder webpage, and some understanding of the history of the Villages as a resident who has actually been to some of the open houses here when they were for sale. Zillow only shows homes via MLS. MOST Villages homes are sold via the Villages Listing service (VLS), and are not allowed to be listed on the MLS. And in fact, you can't even use the street-view option on Google Maps to access most of the streets in the Villages. The higher-end homes typically will not ever be publically listed. There is a very exclusive neighborhood in the Villages that was the original Morse family compound here.

Most of the uber-high-end homes don't get sold - they remain with the families that bought them over a decade ago. So it's not likely you'd see them listed, whether via the MLS or the VLS.

There are a handful of homes for sale over $1mil at the moment via the VLS, the most expensive is 5 bedroom 3.5 bathroom Kings Bay model, 3672 square feet "under heat" for $1.475M.
Ahh, okay. That makes sense. Low inventory for high-end and a separate listing system. I learned something new. I was visiting Ocala but talk of sinkholes worries me. I had thought Tampa's counties were the major areas to avoid if concerned about sinkholes. The state just amazes me because there are so many beautiful areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala