Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 01:01 PM

8,685 posts, read 4,921,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The deductible depends on your carrier but yes it can be high. Hurricane insurance also has a higher deductible but I don't think you will find it close to 25000. I think this is an option you have to elect with most carriers.

There are two types of sinkhole insurance. One is built into everyone's homeowner policy by law. But you are probably thinking of the additional insurance and that can be expensive and you may not be able to get it.

My assumption is that sinkholes happen more in areas that have ponds due to leaking water.
Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 03:34 PM

503 posts, read 1,197,237 times
Sinkholes can happen anywhere. Florida is more prone than some other states. The chances are very slim it will happen to you. The news media sensationalizes things for coverage.
Be more concerned about the summer heat... LOL

Old 03-24-2019, 12:12 PM

318 posts, read 464,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The deductible depends on your carrier but yes it can be high. Hurricane insurance also has a higher deductible but I don't think you will find it close to 25000. I think this is an option you have to elect with most carriers.

There are two types of sinkhole insurance. One is built into everyone's homeowner policy by law. But you are probably thinking of the additional insurance and that can be expensive and you may not be able to get it.

My assumption is that sinkholes happen more in areas that have ponds due to leaking water.
Don't assume.

That is how rumors start.

Read up on the Florida soil please. Sinkholes can happen anywhere. In Central Florida they are more prevalent, and certain areas near Tampa, and some counties near Orlando. There are maps available online noting sinkhole activity, and the counties that have the most in Florida.

The ponds are created for stormwater management.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:10 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
Don't assume.

That is how rumors start.

Read up on the Florida soil please. Sinkholes can happen anywhere. In Central Florida they are more prevalent, and certain areas near Tampa, and some counties near Orlando. There are maps available online noting sinkhole activity, and the counties that have the most in Florida.

The ponds are created for stormwater management.
That is why I used the word assume but my experience is that I see more sink holes by ponds. Again another assumption, I assume the liners can leak and over time the lime stone is eroded.

The dry retention ponds are for storm water management and should drain from a hurricane within 14 days. Most probably drain faster. I think the ponds have several purposes in addition to storm water management. For one thing they must way thousand of tons and this can help cave in the ground.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:26 AM

157 posts, read 850,839 times
I've been in The Villages for 11 years now, wouldn't live anywhere else. I visited Del Webb and quite a few other communites prior to retirement, but this is the place. That said, I do not like the "new" area south of the turnpike - no facilities and lots of construction for many years.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:05 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,111,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I've been in The Villages for 11 years now, wouldn't live anywhere else. I visited Del Webb and quite a few other communites prior to retirement, but this is the place. That said, I do not like the "new" area south of the turnpike - no facilities and lots of construction for many years.
Which Del Webb did you visit prior to retirement? The one that's north of The Villages?

Old 04-08-2019, 02:23 PM
LVB

12 posts, read 23,517 times
Looking at a few states. Was looking at the villages and the sinkholes where a concern. Yes, your insurance covers you for catastrophic and the secondary policy for lesser damage. Thats the stickler, a friend had a cracked and sunken slab and the secondary insurance fought him all the way to court, he won.
Back to my interest there, where are the newer parts? The south?
How is health care?
How is shopping?
Is it a company town as a family basically owns the villages?
What are the monthly costs? HOA etc
How much are utilities? Water?
How much is homeowners insurance?
Curious what monthly costs will be

Thanks for any help

Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 PM

253 posts, read 375,909 times
My husband and I are snowbirds and we spend our winters in Ocala. We sometimes visit The Villages for activities. We've attended a couple of the free concerts and we like to go to the movie theaters and some of the shops. We've had a good time walking on some of the boardwalks, too. As nice as everything is, the traffic in the area is a pain during peak snowbird season

Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVB View Post
Looking at a few states. Was looking at the villages and the sinkholes where a concern. Yes, your insurance covers you for catastrophic and the secondary policy for lesser damage. Thats the stickler, a friend had a cracked and sunken slab and the secondary insurance fought him all the way to court, he won.
Back to my interest there, where are the newer parts? The south?
How is health care?
How is shopping?
Is it a company town as a family basically owns the villages?
What are the monthly costs? HOA etc
How much are utilities? Water?
How much is homeowners insurance?
Curious what monthly costs will be

Thanks for any help
This site might be of interest

http://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/index.php

Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,408,019 times
We opted to build elsewhere but for more detail on where th sinkholes are:

Sinkhole Maps of Florida Counties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala