Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 PM

561 posts, read 1,504,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
There are so many misconceptions about The Villages I thought I'd set some things straight. I moved to The Villages 16 months ago from MA. I just couldn't stand the cold and snow anymore. So, ask away any questions you have about living here and I'll do my best to answer honestly.
Now for a real question on topic: In your time in TV, have you had a special assessment fee imposed on you; if so, how much and for what? I know about the HOA, CDD, and maintenance fees, but have heard complaints about special assessments coming a little too frequently.

TV spans three counties, is any one county better on taxes and such than another? Also, assuming you have a stick and vinyl house (maybe block?), how are your utilities, especially during the warmer months?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 10:02 PM

387 posts, read 511,282 times
My wife and I spent the night, got with a realtor getting a pretty good overview. The one concern was that The Villages had become all ages, not just 55 and up. School busses, separate neighborhood centers, seemed to suggest all ages is a big part of the population.There are a lot of activities geared to seniors but its not what I expected. So my question is has the vast expansion changed the original vision of 55+ only ?

Old 04-29-2019, 05:04 AM

529 posts, read 1,161,042 times
The Villages has become quite the juggernaut, spanning 3 counties, the Turnpike, 441, and 301. Think of the all-ages communities as company towns. They had to do something to ensure a worker-bee colony nearby.

Dax

Last edited by Dax13; 04-29-2019 at 06:01 AM..

Old 04-30-2019, 02:14 PM

262 posts, read 777,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Now for a real question on topic: In your time in TV, have you had a special assessment fee imposed on you; if so, how much and for what? I know about the HOA, CDD, and maintenance fees, but have heard complaints about special assessments coming a little too frequently.

TV spans three counties, is any one county better on taxes and such than another? Also, assuming you have a stick and vinyl house (maybe block?), how are your utilities, especially during the warmer months?

Thanks!
Have you had a special assessment fee imposed on you?
--In three years none. This does vary by area within TV.

TV spans three counties, is any one county better on taxes and such than another?

--Sumter is the lowest. TV controls this county, I am not making light of that. The majority of TV residents -and the voters county of Sumter- call TV home. As a rule TV residents do not like high taxes, so there is some selection of candidates based upon this topic. There have been tax roll backs in Sumter due to the increased population. How often do you hear of such a thing? The roll backs are modest but they certainly are not increases.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSummers View Post
Is solar worth doing for a resale if not already on the roof in the Villages? A friend in NJ has a system that the solar company installed and maintains on the roof, no out of pocket expenses - they pay a fixed rate per month (I think it's around $50) and the solar company gets the credit for all the "excess" energy generated that they sell back to the utility. Nothing is stored - just flows like a regular electric line. Is that similar in Central Florida or do you have to buy the panels, etc. for thousands of dollars which would take years to recoup?
In a word, No.

I have an energy monitor which checks usage 10,000 a second, I an assure you that I am right on this. I purchased this monitor to see how solar could pay for itself, it will not.

First, your annual bill for a 2000 sq foot home in TV is $1,100 to $1,500 annually. You can see straight away the problem with paying 600.00 a year for 'free' electricity when it does not meet all your needs. Peak solar varies but 5 - 6 hours a day is a reasonable measure of high production. Second, you consume solar at $.116 a KWH but sell it back at wholesale at $.07 KWH. A standard 5KW system will not operate a house all the time under a full sun, much of the time but not all.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveneziale View Post
Also, are you aware if there is a strong rental market for the homes from April through December since we only want to stay for the winter months from Pennsylvania?
A well managed property will rent for 7 to 10 months a year. January to March represent 48% of my total income.

Many people are challenged to rent their property beyond Jan to March. They have an irrational connection with value. The 4500 February property can be 1600 or less in June. If you can't accept that you won't rent it out much. Also in this instant society that we live in you have to be responsive to all inquiries from guests, often in an hour or less.

I estimate over 60% of the rental market sits empty 8 months a year

Old 04-30-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I’m wondering about privacy and setting. I would like to experience all that the property offers, but I would also like to have days that I could simply sit back and enjoy, in relative peace. Wondering about your thoughts on tranquility. Thank you.
This is simple enough to ask but takes a long answer.

The lots are small, there is no question about that, Your view of the world that may intrude your privacy is out your front, just like most homes, and the back. Most homes have a lanai out back, these may or may not be enclosed or have a wall around them. Some of those look on neighbors but many do not, either they back up to a pond, golf course, nature area or simply look between two homes. Many have extensive landscaping to block out even the sight of another human.

The real appeal to privacy is quiet and TV is quiet.

The advantage of small lots may not immediately seem obvious. First after avoiding people after work most of our entire lives, it is nice to close to neighbors. If they are quiet and I don't see them unless I want to that is fantastic, this is almost always the case. It is fabulous to have a lawn that is manageable.

Last edited by Toymeister; 04-30-2019 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
My wife and I spent the night, got with a realtor getting a pretty good overview. The one concern was that The Villages had become all ages, not just 55 and up. School busses, separate neighborhood centers, seemed to suggest all ages is a big part of the population.There are a lot of activities geared to seniors but its not what I expected. So my question is has the vast expansion changed the original vision of 55+ only ?
The villages is a 55+ community. Fire your realtor and get someone who is competent.

There are no school buses, no ice cream man, no 'separate neighborhood centers' for anyone under 55. It is a 55+ community.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 AM

1,332 posts, read 2,168,380 times
There needs to be workers to supply the services to the old people at the villages including doctors, lawyers, financial advisors, insurance, real estate, contractors, retail, restaurants, etc.

Most commute in from Ocala and Lake County but I'm sure over time as the villages grows there will be more all age developments to support the working population.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
There needs to be workers to supply the services to the old people at the villages including doctors, lawyers, financial advisors, insurance, real estate, contractors, retail, restaurants, etc.

Most commute in from Ocala and Lake County but I'm sure over time as the villages grows there will be more all age developments to support the working population.

Don't they call "all age developments" cities, towns and subdivisions? Has political correctness creeped into what we call our municipalities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala