Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 07:50 AM

492 posts, read 633,514 times

Advertisements

There at least nine existing golf cart accessible churches including St. Timothy’s Catholic Church near Spanish Springs and Temple Shalom near the Village of Belle Aire.

In the new southern section the villages are popping up around existing churches on Warm Springs. A huge new church is being built on 466 near the villages of Pine Hills and Pine Ridge.

If you are willing to drive a car there are tons more just outside the Villages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:32 PM

15 posts, read 36,115 times
Thank you for this info. Nine! Wow. That is quite a bit to chose from.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:57 PM

262 posts, read 777,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoF View Post
Thank you for this info. Nine! Wow. That is quite a bit to chose from.
Sarcasm ignored: What the poster said is there are nine REACHABLE BY GOLF CART.

Lets think about this, first you have to be a church located immediately next to The Villages, then you have to be on a golf cart trail or street (with speed limit no greater than 25 mph) to access the church, then The Villages must grant access from their property (cart trail) to the church and finally the church must prepare a cart trail from The Villages property to their parking area. Frankly, I am surprised that there are as many as they are.

What this poster should do is utilize a search engine to check for the denomination church they prefer, then open a second window for a map application and see how far that church is. Even if someone does not have an automobile or know anyone who would take them to a church, many churches will pick you up for services. It is easy to do this search but not nearly as fun as blasting someone who was being helpful to an internet stranger

Old 05-31-2019, 11:22 AM

123 posts, read 201,921 times
Lightbulb The Villages Youtube Blogs

GOOD thread! For those wanting some more views from Village residents check these YouTube blogs:

1. Skip Smith: Skip & his Wife have been Villages residents for many years & this blog goes into a lot of specific details about life there on a regular basis.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thistrucksforyou/videos

2. The Villages Florida Newcomers: Jerry & Linda moved to the Villages almost 6 months ago. They are younger retirees who have a very upbeat & informative blog about their Villages experiences to date.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ6...BwkM-yw/videos

Both of the above blogs are aimed at anyone possibly considering retirement in The Villages.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PylesFord View Post
GOOD thread! For those wanting some more views from Village residents check these YouTube blogs:

1. Skip Smith: Skip & his Wife have been Villages residents for many years & this blog goes into a lot of specific details about life there on a regular basis.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thistrucksforyou/videos

2. The Villages Florida Newcomers: Jerry & Linda moved to the Villages almost 6 months ago. They are younger retirees who have a very upbeat & informative blog about their Villages experiences to date.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ6...BwkM-yw/videos

Both of the above blogs are aimed at anyone possibly considering retirement in The Villages.
In order to give some perspective, the Newcomers are both retired school teachers from Indiana. All of their videos are filtered from that perspective, they are accurate and fair in their assessments. They have 2,000 subscribers, they did not monitize their YouTube channel, so no commercials, tee shirts and so on.

Skip has monitized his channel, he also has a separate pay only service. He is opinionated, which can be entertaining. He is generally accurate although his errors are there. He makes no effort to double check his opinions. He is a retired UPS driver and he sees the world through a working man's eyes. He frequently forgets that most of us want information on The Villages and are indifferent on happenings in his life.

I watch both. To be fair, I watch Skip's mainly to see what he gets wrong.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:08 PM

15 posts, read 36,115 times
Hello, Has anyone taken public transportation from Orlando or Tamp Int. Airport to the Villages? I was wondering what if any options are available, other than of course maybe UBER. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoF View Post
Hello, Has anyone taken public transportation from Orlando or Tamp Int. Airport to the Villages? I was wondering what if any options are available, other than of course maybe UBER. Thanks!
The Villages has this service to Orlando as well as some private firms. It costs about 50.00 each way. I don't have contact info but it seems like it would pop up on a google search. Edit to add: once you are in TV you can rent a car from enterprise in Lake Sumter. Although once you are there you can get everything that you need by cart.

"Everything" means restaurants, pharmacy, grocery stores, Wal-Mart, medical care and so on.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:15 AM

123 posts, read 201,921 times
Thumbs up Skip & The Florida Newcomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
In order to give some perspective, the Newcomers are both retired school teachers from Indiana. All of their videos are filtered from that perspective, they are accurate and fair in their assessments. They have 2,000 subscribers, they did not monitize their YouTube channel, so no commercials, tee shirts and so on.

Skip has monitized his channel, he also has a separate pay only service. He is opinionated, which can be entertaining. He is generally accurate although his errors are there. He makes no effort to double check his opinions. He is a retired UPS driver and he sees the world through a working man's eyes. He frequently forgets that most of us want information on The Villages and are indifferent on happenings in his life.

I watch both. To be fair, I watch Skip's mainly to see what he gets wrong.
Skip: I've been watching his vids for a long time and he has stated from the get go they are "his opinion" so the viewer can take them for what they are. In doing research on The Villages a good portion of the population is, blue collar/pension retirees. If one is considering The Villages you can read Inside the Bubble, do a Lifestyle Visit, talk to sales reps etc.. So "I" find his vids informative source of info regarding life there on a daily basis. Regarding his monetizing his channel, more power to him thank you. It appears you & I are watching Skip's channel from 180 degree different angles, which is fine.

Florida Newcomers: They have only been in The Villages for half a year and bring a younger retiree perspective on the community. If they want to monitize their channel go for it, as I enjoy watching them. If you read between the lines they implied receiving emails questioning whether they were being paid by The Villages to do this channel. They said no and I accept that.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:18 AM

561 posts, read 1,504,756 times
I, too, found both blogs to be interesting and informative for prospective residents, as well as Talk of the Villages. I wish there was something similar for OTOW since we're vacillating back and forth between OTOW and TV. I only found "production" videos for OTOW; really wish there were more OTOW residents on these forums or they had their own forum--and NOT on Facebook!

Old 06-02-2019, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 21,557 times
Regarding TV, anyone know rental policies? What is the minimum term of the lease? I assume there are a ton of people renting in TV. I wonder how the permanent folks living there feel about rentals. I am looking at living in TV year round. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala