Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 AM

9 posts, read 12,070 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I'm retiring next year. I have family in Miami and Ocala, so I'm looking to be somewhat centrally located between the two cities. I would really appreciate some advice from those who know the areas on good retirement locations. Here is some info on me:

Home price range no more than say 225,000. I would like some a decent sized lot. I hate associations, and places where everyone is up close and has small yards. looking for 3 bedroom 2 bath - 1600 square foot and up.

Looking for low low crime area where it is quiet, but has access (say an hour or so) to a decent sized city.
I would like to be around water. I could be tempted to be on the gulf, but mostly considering more inland lakes because of flood/hurricanes.

I'm so tired of traffic! So I don't want a big city, congested area.

I guess I'm looking for Andy Griffin and Mayberry with a lake view Does anything like this exist?

I was looking at Spring Hills and Iverness; and it looked almost perfect, but now I'm hearing about sink holes. How much of a problem is this?

Thanx much!

Dave

Oh one other thing; does anyone know how to research what i'm likely to pay for car, home, and flood insurance in specific areas? I know this varies greatly, but here in Miami insurance and property taxes are killing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,175,756 times
If you want to be closer to Miami, highlands county and the sebring/lake placid area is nice yet still has cheap real estate and lots of lakes.

Spring hill and Inverness are basically in the Ocala area. It'll still be a long 5 hour slog to Miami. Lake placid is about 2 and a half to 3 hours to Ocala and Miami.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 12,070 times
thanx, logybogy.

I've been all around the map. I guess I'm just avoiding way north and way south. Lake placid area is another option I'm considering.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,259,110 times
Try https://spotcrime.com/fl for crime info. Also the Sheriff and local police may have facebook pages and web sites that will give you some info.

Be careful with utilities. The vendor and availability may change within the same community. If city run they may have higher rates as part of the city government can be supported by the utility. The larger your land the more you are going to have to sprinkler and water can be very expensive.

Sink holes are all over the area but I would not worry about them. There is a state map of major sink holes you might want to review. Once you pick a lot then I would review what I could for sink holes but their existence would not rule out the whole area of a community. Same for flood insurance. Make sure the lot will not flood as well as not being in a Federal Flood area. https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home

I would rent before you pick a final place. Try VH4R Home Rentals in The Villages I realize that this is not the type of community you want and I would only recommend it as a place to find a rental for researching the area.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:43 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,889,926 times
Sebring

Old 04-29-2019, 09:39 AM

481 posts, read 502,038 times
I recommend checking out the following areas:

- Polk City (90 min drive to Ocala, 4 hrs to Miami) (Polk County) - 2nd best match
- Bartow (2 hours drive to Ocala, 3.5hrs to Miami) (Polk County) - 3rd best
- Okeechobee ( 2hr 40 min drive to Miami, 2 hour 50 min drive to Ocala) (Okeechobee County) -Probably best match for you
- Frostproof ( 2hr 15 min drive to Ocala, 3 hours to Miami) (Polk County)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala