Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 04:12 AM

1,129 posts, read 465,422 times

Advertisements

We wanted to find somewhere with minimum Hurricane risk due to being away most summers and bought in Lady Lake after exploring central Florida.

Tavares, Eustis are really nice and have a nice small town vibe about them with many events year round for the community.

Tavares would be my pick out of the two, we go regular at weekends because they have live music in several bars Friday to Sunday's with a nice laid back atmosphere and it feels very safe.

Leesburg's crime stats aren't great but its a very large area with some areas very nice and low crime, others you wouldn't walk around during the day let alone the night, the downtown area is trying really hard though to bring people in but to be honest it doesn't have the same feel as Eustis and Tavares.

These areas are also surrounded by the Harris Chain of lakes so you'll have no shortage of fishing opportunities.

We also looked at Umatila to buy an house, this is a small town and apparently very close knit with the same families living there for generations, if you fit in, it would great, if you don't it could be scary, the impression I was given is its very redneck, depending on you, that's good or bad.

Weirsdale is in the sticks and i'm sure you'll find an acre of land fairly easy and it's a short drive to the Villages with all that it has to offer so could be a good option.

Inverness is also very spread out with a good mix of rural and urban properties and worth digging a little deeper.

After visiting every corner of the state, this central part of Florida is great in my opinion and the weathers just right for us.

Being central is also great with either coast just over an hours drive away.

It might be a sensible option to rent for a year first, you can then explore the areas you like the look of, larger plots are harder to find but if you have time on your side by renting you'll have more chance of buying the right place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 08:00 PM

157 posts, read 850,839 times
How about Oxford, FL, adjacent to The Villages and easy access You can get your acre, there are a couple of fishing lakes in the area. Lakeside landings is a nice neighborhood, though I don't think they have acre lots. There are some decent homes on bigger lots right around there Good luck, you'll find something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala