Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 AM

290 posts, read 387,768 times

Advertisements

Hi there..

Contemplating a move to Ocala (or Orlando) to be with my boyfriend. He is currently in Ocala and set up pretty well there. We are contemplating possibly going to Orlando, but me moving to him in Ocala first may be good option for a while instead of us both moving.

I'm currently in Dallas, by way of Philly and DC. I work in Finance for an major investment company with a solid finance background, mortgage as well, and all corporate type of positions. Would be looking for something in the same type of fields. Wondering where/what type of jobs I can expect to find.. or where specifically I should focus my search. I'm aware that I'll take a pay decrease, but we'll be going from 1 income household to 2 .. so not super concerned about that for now.

Any tips or direction?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 10:31 AM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Due to the distance to Orlando from Ocala I would relocate to the town where he was working. But if you goal is Orlando and he does not mind the commute or is going to change work locations then go for Orlando.

I would also apply for jobs in that city before moving. In my cover letter I would state that I am moving to the xxx area for family reasons and will be in the area next week for interviews and would like to meet with you. You are avoiding being rejected for an interview because they do not want your expenses of travel.

At any rate get a job before you move.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM

290 posts, read 387,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Due to the distance to Orlando from Ocala I would relocate to the town where he was working. But if you goal is Orlando and he does not mind the commute or is going to change work locations then go for Orlando.

I would also apply for jobs in that city before moving. In my cover letter I would state that I am moving to the xxx area for family reasons and will be in the area next week for interviews and would like to meet with you. You are avoiding being rejected for an interview because they do not want your expenses of travel.

At any rate get a job before you move.

We are going to be living in the same city. What I'm saying is we are unsure if we are A. both going to relocate to Orlando (where he has a job lined up if he wants it) or B. I am going to move to Ocala where he currently is and we will stay there a while before BOTH transitioning to Orlando together. Either way, I am the one who will be looking for work lol. It doesn't seem that I'll be able to find much in Ocala from the looks of it. However, that would be the easiest option.. and later move to Orlando together.
Weighing both

Old 08-12-2019, 01:29 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
We are going to be living in the same city. What I'm saying is we are unsure if we are A. both going to relocate to Orlando (where he has a job lined up if he wants it) or B. I am going to move to Ocala where he currently is and we will stay there a while before BOTH transitioning to Orlando together. Either way, I am the one who will be looking for work lol. It doesn't seem that I'll be able to find much in Ocala from the looks of it. However, that would be the easiest option.. and later move to Orlando together.
Weighing both
Since Orlando is your final destination I would have him change jobs now. Try it for a short period of time and make sure it will work out. Then move to Orlando.

If money is not a problem you can move to Ocala now and start looking in Orlando for a job.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:39 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
Tampa/St. Pete and Jacksonville are the best finance places to work in Florida. Lots of major corporations have regional hubs in both cities.

Orlando and Ocala do not. I really think you need to research the job market and find a job before moving. There just isn't that much high level finance work in Orlando compared to other Florida locations.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:01 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Check with your competitor firms to see if they are actively looking.

Consider working with an attorney on a co-habitation agreement. Just in case in an unexpected way the relationship does not work out then who has to pay or sell your abode to who if you buy or lease a place.

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:44 PM

70 posts, read 131,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Tampa/St. Pete and Jacksonville are the best finance places to work in Florida. Lots of major corporations have regional hubs in both cities.

Orlando and Ocala do not. I really think you need to research the job market and find a job before moving. There just isn't that much high level finance work in Orlando compared to other Florida locations.
The 'sunshine tax' of Florida is real! You can expect to be paid much less than your salary in the Dallas area, especially if you live in Ocala. Tampa would probably have better wages and a chance to work at a larger company.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala