Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 11:56 AM

116 posts, read 135,012 times

Advertisements

Give me some insight on this town's pass. What was it like in 90s here and where black folks hangout? Was the the Klan strong here? Fill me in because I get awful vibes from this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 12:02 PM

145 posts, read 385,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
Give me some insight on this town's pass. What was it like in 90s here and where black folks hangout? Was the the Klan strong here? Fill me in because I get awful vibes from this place.
I'm not black, but I was here in the 90s and I don't recall much, if any, racism. Granted, I was in middle and high school during those times and I went to Fort King Middle and VHS, very diverse schools. I do recall the "redneck" students saying the "n" word a lot, but never to any black kids.

As far as where black folks hangout, literally everywhere. The predominately black neighborhood is over the bridge on the boulevard, but blacks are by no means confined to that area. I'd say there was prolly more racism in the 90s (again, I was just a kid so I can't say much about that) due to Ocala still having a small town vibe, and prior to the 90s I'd imagine it was pretty bad. Never heard of the Klan being here, though it wouldn't surprise me.

Now I DO remember hearing stories about Hog Valley out in the forest being very racist, to the point that blacks couldn't even pass through there and definitely couldn't stop. I've heard of lynchings going on there maybe in the 50s/60s/70s? But, that's just what I've heard, and it could just be rumors.

Why do you get awful vibes about this place, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-17-2019, 04:39 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,408,554 times
Quote:
With your attitude you may not fit in.....anywhere

Old 08-19-2019, 11:55 AM

Any actual black folk gonna reply?

Old 08-19-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
With your attitude you may not fit in.....anywhere
You don't know attitude until you lived here

Trust me when I tell you I'm a nice guy

Old 08-19-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
I'm not black, but I was here in the 90s and I don't recall much, if any, racism. Granted, I was in middle and high school during those times and I went to Fort King Middle and VHS, very diverse schools. I do recall the "redneck" students saying the "n" word a lot, but never to any black kids.

As far as where black folks hangout, literally everywhere. The predominately black neighborhood is over the bridge on the boulevard, but blacks are by no means confined to that area. I'd say there was prolly more racism in the 90s (again, I was just a kid so I can't say much about that) due to Ocala still having a small town vibe, and prior to the 90s I'd imagine it was pretty bad. Never heard of the Klan being here, though it wouldn't surprise me.

Now I DO remember hearing stories about Hog Valley out in the forest being very racist, to the point that blacks couldn't even pass through there and definitely couldn't stop. I've heard of lynchings going on there maybe in the 50s/60s/70s? But, that's just what I've heard, and it could just be rumors.

Why do you get awful vibes about this place, if you don't mind me asking?
The whole town has a racist redneck vibe. I couldn't imagine growing up somewhere like this.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:45 PM

290 posts, read 385,290 times
My boyfriend has lived in Ocala for years now, originally from the northeast, and mixed race. Visibly NOT white. He likes it, and has had no issues.. other than its a sleepy part of Florida and there isn't much in terms of growth. He had a job transfer that took him there. I agree it's a little sleepy, but the people I encountered have always been nice. We are contemplating a move to Jacksonville or Orlando. I'm also mixed, and from Philly. But agree... your attitude may prevent you from fitting into a lot of places.. and yes, well aware of Brooklyn, been there done that

Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 PM

3,231 posts, read 2,070,228 times

Old 08-22-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
My boyfriend has lived in Ocala for years now, originally from the northeast, and mixed race. Visibly NOT white. He likes it, and has had no issues.. other than its a sleepy part of Florida and there isn't much in terms of growth. He had a job transfer that took him there. I agree it's a little sleepy, but the people I encountered have always been nice. We are contemplating a move to Jacksonville or Orlando. I'm also mixed, and from Philly. But agree... your attitude may prevent you from fitting into a lot of places.. and yes, well aware of Brooklyn, been there done that
So you're not black? It seems black people get the shaft from an outsiders point of view. If you you're mixed and look Latino it may why you like here. And what's this attitude that you speak of?

Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 PM

145 posts, read 385,081 times
Quote:
The whole town has a racist redneck vibe. I couldn't imagine growing up somewhere like this.
Yeah, I couldn't begin to understand that, but it sucks that you feel that way.

What side of town are you on? I could definitely see that vibe if you're closer to the forest, but NW and SW is a lot more diverse...not Brooklyn diverse but it's something lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala