Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 05:51 PM

5,969 posts, read 3,711,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyStills View Post
Completely disagree. YOU are unhappy because you are left of center (you've mentioned this before) and therefore think anything remotely to the right of you is Alt-right.

You are correct, however, it is primarily populated by conservative republicans. If you match that demographic, you may enjoy The Villages. If you are not, then you may not enjoy The Villages. It matters not whether you are married, single, LBGT, white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. You only need three things to fit in and enjoy The Villages:

1. Similar income level to fund the lifestyle;
2. Similar age as others (peer groups);
3. Similar ideology as the majority.

No one there cares about your race, your orientation, your religion, etc. They care about the above listed three things and whether you are good neighbor or not.
Nailed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 08:09 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Completely disagree. YOU are unhappy because you are left of center (you've mentioned this before) and therefore think anything remotely to the right of you is Alt-right.

You are correct, however, it is primarily populated by conservative republicans. If you match that demographic, you may enjoy The Villages. If you are not, then you may not enjoy The Villages. It matters not whether you are married, single, LBGT, white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. You only need three things to fit in and enjoy The Villages:

1. Similar income level to fund the lifestyle;
2. Similar age as others (peer groups);
3. Similar ideology as the majority.

No one there cares about your race, your orientation, your religion, etc. They care about the above listed three things and whether you are good neighbor or not.
Talk of the Villages is an internet forum. The Villages is not the ugly alt-right (though it has its share of the ugly alt-right, just as it has its share of the far left). The forum, however, is. It is chock full of bigots, haters, white nationalists, anti-vaxers, people who go on and on about how rioters are all black people and BLM, alt-right conspiracy crackpots who think Breitbart is all factual while NBC is all lies, who insist that the insurrection was peaceful protesting and no one hurt anyone except one innocent woman who was just visiting....

That is the Talk of the Villages internet forum. It's the old peoples' version of Stormfront.

The Villages itself is not even remotely that bad - but the forum attracts the worst of them.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:19 AM

176 posts, read 220,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Talk of the Villages is an internet forum. The Villages is not the ugly alt-right (though it has its share of the ugly alt-right, just as it has its share of the far left). The forum, however, is. It is chock full of bigots, haters, white nationalists, anti-vaxers, people who go on and on about how rioters are all black people and BLM, alt-right conspiracy crackpots who think Breitbart is all factual while NBC is all lies, who insist that the insurrection was peaceful protesting and no one hurt anyone except one innocent woman who was just visiting....

That is the Talk of the Villages internet forum. It's the old peoples' version of Stormfront.

The Villages itself is not even remotely that bad - but the forum attracts the worst of them.
Again, disagree. The TOTV web forum is quick to mete out time-outs, punishment, etc. when anything remotely political is discussed. Insults and generalizations are not tolerated. I don't know what your fixation on StotmFront is (you've mentioned it a few times), but I suspect you have spent too much time receiving input to your thought process from only one perspective. You have developed myopia.

In short, I see TOTV as simply a carve-out representative sampling of TV's population, and I see you as being both biased and judgmental. And ill-informed. Perhaps a bit obsessive. At least from what I've gathered from your posting history.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Again, disagree. The TOTV web forum is quick to mete out time-outs, punishment, etc. when anything remotely political is discussed. Insults and generalizations are not tolerated. I don't know what your fixation on StotmFront is (you've mentioned it a few times), but I suspect you have spent too much time receiving input to your thought process from only one perspective. You have developed myopia.

In short, I see TOTV as simply a carve-out representative sampling of TV's population, and I see you as being both biased and judgmental. And ill-informed. Perhaps a bit obsessive. At least from what I've gathered from your posting history.
They mete out a LOT of deletions of posts, and times out. That's the point. Once seen, it can't be unseen. I have watched various members of that forum go on viscious troll attacks on new members, some older members - driven some completely off the forum entirely, and get permanently banned themselves as a direct result of their toxicity. The only reason you don't read as many nasty posts as there could be, is because those nasty posts are deleted by the moderators. Don't think for a moment there aren't nasty people there posting nasty things. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist. There have been threatening DMs from posters - people asking for my personal address so they could confront me, and so on. It is ugly.

But as I said - it's just a forum. The community as a whole, is not like that. But the forum attracts the worst of them.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:38 AM

492 posts, read 637,905 times
The Villages developer decided those newer villages south of 44 would attract younger retirees and those over 55 working from home and built them with that demographic in mind.

They determined less folks were interested in golf and more were interested in activities such as walking and biking so there are slightly fewer golf courses and much more walking and biking trails than you see in the northern section. There is another 18 or 27 hole championship course planned just west of the turnpike, but I haven’t seen any plans for more executive golf courses yet. They are adding lots of recreation centers with more pickle ball courts. And every new village seems to have another beautiful trail.

They also felt this younger demographic is more into natural beauty, so they are emphasizing natural landscaping. You won’t see them changing out the flowers on the medians or at the village entrances 3 times a year.

They have added new features in the housing stock that are harder to find in the northern villages, such as more models with 3 bath and villas with two car and two and a half car garages. They have quite a few designer neighborhoods with fences they refer to as veranda homes that are great for those with pets. They do not have the large lots and larger floor plans of the bigger premier homes. For those you need to look north of 44.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
The Villages developer decided those newer villages south of 44 would attract younger retirees and those over 55 working from home and built them with that demographic in mind.

They determined less folks were interested in golf and more were interested in activities such as walking and biking so there are slightly fewer golf courses and much more walking and biking trails than you see in the northern section. There is another 18 or 27 hole championship course planned just west of the turnpike, but I haven’t seen any plans for more executive golf courses yet. They are adding lots of recreation centers with more pickle ball courts. And every new village seems to have another beautiful trail.

They also felt this younger demographic is more into natural beauty, so they are emphasizing natural landscaping. You won’t see them changing out the flowers on the medians or at the village entrances 3 times a year.

They have added new features in the housing stock that are harder to find in the northern villages, such as more models with 3 bath and villas with two car and two and a half car garages. They have quite a few designer neighborhoods with fences they refer to as veranda homes that are great for those with pets. They do not have the large lots and larger floor plans of the bigger premier homes. For those you need to look north of 44.
Not entirely true - the deed restrictions prohibit the use of residential properties in the Villages for business.

Quote:
All Homesites included in the Subdivision shall be used for residential purposes only and shall be subject to the following specific residential use restrictions in addition to the general restrictions contained in this Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions.
You're not even supposed to be an Avon Lady if you get deliveries at home or run your Avon business from a computer in your living room.

That's not to say no one does it - there are a LOT of people who violate the rule.

However, that also means the developer isn't going to include "people who work from home" as their targeted demographic.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Not entirely true - the deed restrictions prohibit the use of residential properties in the Villages for business.

You're not even supposed to be an Avon Lady if you get deliveries at home or run your Avon business from a computer in your living room.

That's not to say no one does it - there are a LOT of people who violate the rule.

However, that also means the developer isn't going to include "people who work from home" as their targeted demographic.
It’s very curious then that they have “dens” in so many of their floor plans and stage them as offices. You would think if they were anti home office they would stage them as tv rooms or something.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
It’s very curious then that they have “dens” in so many of their floor plans and stage them as offices. You would think if they were anti home office they would stage them as tv rooms or something.
I converted my second bedroom into an office too. I'm retired. I don't work. But I do volunteer and maintain a database for the organization, and run the volunteer mailing list. I'm also an online game hobbyist who helps run one of the online games - again - it's not a job, I don't get paid, it's a hobby gig. My husband has his own desk, he uses his computer to play solitaire and schedule his golf games every week. I also have a filing cabinet with medical stuff, insurance info, files for my cat's veterinary care, tax returns, receipts and bills.

Wherever you keep your filing cabinet - is your office. Whether it's a whole room, or just a nook in a room.

It's definitely not uncommon in a retirement community of seniors who have investments and grandchildren who live far away, to have an office space where they can Zoom or Skype or Facetime with the grands, do have telemedicine consultations with their doctors, keep their investment and insurance and medical papers organized, and deal with their bills.

The whole 1950's thing with mom at the kitchen table writing out checks for the milk man and the phone bill were over many years ago.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:47 AM

So perhaps they aren’t targeting those who can work from home, but they are certainly attracting them.

A friend in one of the new neighborhoods said many of their neighborhood activities are scheduled in the evening because many of the neighbors work during the day. It is no longer a given that everyone is retired.

The whole 1950’s thing of dad having a pension and being able to retire is also over. I believe the developer gets this and is catering to the new reality of those in their 50s and 60s. Working folks are able to fit a trail run or a bike ride into their schedule, while a mid-morning tee time might not be possible.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
So perhaps they aren’t targeting those who can work from home, but they are certainly attracting them.

A friend in one of the new neighborhoods said many of their neighborhood activities are scheduled in the evening because many of the neighbors work during the day. It is no longer a given that everyone is retired.

The whole 1950’s thing of dad having a pension and being able to retire is also over. I believe the developer gets this and is catering to the new reality of those in their 50s and 60s. Working folks are able to fit a trail run or a bike ride into their schedule, while a mid-morning tee time might not be possible.
The Villages isn't a retirement community. It's not advertised as one. It's a 55+ active senior community. That's how it's advertised. So it stands to reason that most people moving in for the first time will be somewhere around 55 years old, give or take a few years.

I was working when I moved in, and I moved in to the "Historic" side of the Villages. Moving to the new construction areas was never on the option list for us. We had zero interest, whatsoever, in moving into a brand new home in a brand new neighborhood that had no mature landscaping, or nearby stores, or (at the time) no way to drive a golf cart to anything outside the residential area. Bridges have gone up since then, and the southern (new construction) areas can now access the rest of the Villages.

But we still wouldn't have moved in because the land isn't settled after all that construction, there's no mature landscaping, the deed restrictions are too strict for our tastes (we're fine with some restrictions for consistency. We are not fine with restrictions for conformity. There's a difference.)

There are thousands of people who have also chosen the older section, who are on the younger end of the "Senior" spectrum, many of whom are still working, or who have returned to work, and are active.

You're pigeonholing an area of the Villages based on - I have no idea what. We get the same bands in our town square in the older section that the newer section gets, playing the same music they play. The newer section has walking trails and a putt-n-play or some such. The older section has more golf courses and scenic views. The older section has more access to the established medical centers and hospital. The newer section has more access to the interstate highway.

Each section of the Villages has something that can attract ANY seniors, whether they're 52 or 92. Each section also has things about it that ANY seniors might not like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala