Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 12,840 times

Advertisements

I'm a 27-year-old single male who lives in Jacksonville. Despite Jacksonville being a large city and theoretically having a lot of prospects, I've found dating very difficult.

I work remotely, so I've been contemplating relocating to somewhere that: is smaller and more "digestible;" is within reasonable driving distance; and has better prospects.

I'm specifically looking for (serious) Christians in my age range. Would I have similar difficulty in Ocala? I've also been thinking about Lakeland. I'd like to visit both areas soon to get a feel for them.

Any insight is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 05:32 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
My guess is the larger the city the more change you have. I would skip Ocala.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
My guess is the larger the city the more change you have. I would skip Ocala.
Theoretically, yes. But I feel like, in reality, smaller cities make it easier to meet people, since they aren't as spread out. And if that city has a higher proportion of the sort of people I'm seeking, even more so. That's what I'm trying to determine. Thank you for the reply, though.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:35 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
A "serious" Christian would believe in their heart of hearts that the Lord will provide them with a "helpmeet" if and when the time is right and not a moment sooner. If you move to Ocala and don't find that helpmeet, it won't be Ocala's fault. And by staying put in J-ville and not finding your helpmeet, it's not J-ville's fault. It's simply not your turn yet.

My advice is to not use "I need a mate" as your excuse to move, IF you truly are a "serious" Christian as you claim to be.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
A "serious" Christian would believe in their heart of hearts that the Lord will provide them with a "helpmeet" if and when the time is right and not a moment sooner. If you move to Ocala and don't find that helpmeet, it won't be Ocala's fault. And by staying put in J-ville and not finding your helpmeet, it's not J-ville's fault. It's simply not your turn yet.

My advice is to not use "I need a mate" as your excuse to move, IF you truly are a "serious" Christian as you claim to be.
You make good points. My "rebuttal" of sorts would be that one should also be intentional. If all I do is attend my church, whose congregants are primarily families and elders, and I do nothing else, I think that it's unlikely that I will find a suitable partner. But because I wish to be intentional, I visit other churches occasionally and events that I believe will attract Christian women.

It's a very complex subject. This isn't a fair comparison, but if a Christian were living in, say, New York City or San Francisco, I would say that it's reasonable for him/her to relocate to search for a spouse.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:35 AM

You know all you really need to do is run a google search for your "brand" of Christianity. See which towns have the most populated churches of that kind. Then call the church and ASK them if they have a singles group.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You know all you really need to do is run a google search for your "brand" of Christianity. See which towns have the most populated churches of that kind. Then call the church and ASK them if they have a singles group.
I belong to a Baptist church and I feel pretty strongly about that denomination. Unfortunately, here in Jax, it seems like if younger people attend church at all, they attend the "nondenominational" megachurches. There's something amiss about those and they definitely don't promote fellowship.

I guess my thinking was that smaller towns/cities wouldn't suffer from that problem to the same extent, so I thought I'd ask here. I do appreciate the pushback, though; it's humbling.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take_heart View Post
I belong to a Baptist church and I feel pretty strongly about that denomination. Unfortunately, here in Jax, it seems like if younger people attend church at all, they attend the "nondenominational" megachurches. There's something amiss about those and they definitely don't promote fellowship.

I guess my thinking was that smaller towns/cities wouldn't suffer from that problem to the same extent, so I thought I'd ask here. I do appreciate the pushback, though; it's humbling.
There are absolutely baptists and baptist churches and actual fellowship and outreach in the Ocala area. There are also other evangelical denominations that aren't baptist.

You can find the list of affiliated baptist churches in the Ocala here:

https://www.reach.mba/churches

Community Harvest is family-oriented, but not exclusively family.

The First Baptist in the Villages caters to seniors (since the Villages is a 55+ community), but it isn't exclusively seniors.

I don't know about any of the others, but you can certainly give them a call.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:43 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
The First Baptist in the Villages caters to seniors (since the Villages is a 55+ community)
In the first post, the OP clearly stated that they are 27, not 55+.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 17,137 times
Ocala is a great place! Moved here last year and it’s been the best decision. The people here are the nicest and most welcoming. We found a local Church to go to where we were welcomed right from the start. There’s plenty to do here with all the conveniences a person would need. I think you would do well here and find friends your age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala