Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 07:59 AM

50 posts, read 87,238 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of CBS (Concrete Block) vs Vinyl Siding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 11:52 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
That's a pretty strange request. It's like asking what are the pros and cons of bicycles vs. pickup trucks.

They are both vehicles, both can get you from point A to point B. But otherwise are very different with very different functionality. They aren't things that can actually be compared with each other.

Also, vinyl siding is a facade affixed to the outer walls of a home. Concrete block is what makes the actual walls themselves. So again - not comparable.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:04 PM

Bikes and trucks.. you are comparing apples vs oranges.

Pros and cons.. maybe with CBS - your insurance costs would be less. Vinyl has a limited lifetime. Maybe energy costs are lower with CBS. This sort of thing.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...-siding-10538/

Old 06-03-2022, 03:30 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
No building experience but I would feel that the CBS home would stand up better in a hurricane and that is what I would want.

Also important is how the roof is attached to the ground (yes ground) and the design of the garage door.

Also less woodin a CBS home is probably a plus for the possibility of termites, but CBS homes can get termites so I would be equally concerned with either construction.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:55 PM

Again, vinyl siding is just the covering on the outside of the house. Concrete is what the walls are actually made out of.

Vinyl siding is typically added to frame construction, and to manufactured homes. In the Villages (which is what you're asking about) there are manufactured homes, site-built concrete construction, site-built wood frame construction, and modular homes. Vinyl can be added to any of them, including concrete.

The siding is the outer cover. The concrete is the construction material.

So yes - asking which is the better option is like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:38 AM

64 posts, read 53,402 times
Just different construction techniques/choices etc...is one inherently "better" than the other??
not really, it just depends on the quality of materials, DESIGN, and installation!

Old 06-06-2022, 12:10 PM

The new homes that The Villages are building are vinyl with wood frame. The other choices they have are CBS, or tilt-wall concrete.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:50 AM

157 posts, read 854,477 times
I've owned both. The vinyl siding allows in a lot of outside noise (think "neighbors") and have a relatively short life.
I own CBS now and for a nominal cost more, it's sturdy and quiet. It will need a paint job now and then and can get some minor cracks (mostly near windows) that are an easy fix.

Go with the CBS, not even close.

Old 06-09-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I've owned both. The vinyl siding allows in a lot of outside noise (think "neighbors") and have a relatively short life.
I own CBS now and for a nominal cost more, it's sturdy and quiet. It will need a paint job now and then and can get some minor cracks (mostly near windows) that are an easy fix.

Go with the CBS, not even close.
I don't know what kind of noise you've been hearing but...

I live in a manufactured home with vinyl siding. The siding is the original, from 1985 when the components of the home were rolled in. It's been painted only once since it was installed (the previous owners wanted blue instead of yellow) and has a few dents on the bottom where previous owners rolled their golf carts a little too close when parking them. Other than needing to be power-washed every once in awhile the outer walls and siding is in great shape.

As for noise, we had new windows installed. The sound of lawnmowers is negligible until they roll past the window, or if the window is open.

They don't crack, so there's never need to repair those.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:03 PM

507 posts, read 516,388 times
you will have lower electricity costs with a wooden built house vs CBS. More insulation in the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: