Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 07:59 PM

383 posts, read 664,546 times

Advertisements

I know the Villages has some houses that are enclosed but what about others in the area? Have 2 dogs (17 lbs) that are used to running around the yard and would like to be able to have that in a new home. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 09:13 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Actually, all the houses are enclosed and not some of them. The lot sizes can differ depending on the neighborhood/section. Care to explain what you are referring to?

Old 11-05-2023, 11:05 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Actually, all the houses are enclosed and not some of them. The lot sizes can differ depending on the neighborhood/section. Care to explain what you are referring to?
He explained in the title of his post. It was pretty clear to me what he meant.

Yes, houses are enclosed. By walls. That's a doh thing, and obviously not what he meant.

He meant what he asked: What 55 community allows you to FENCE YOUR YARD.

MOST homes in the Villages do not allow yard fencing at all. SOME homes in the Villages have 6-foot walls separating their yard from their neighbor's yard. SOME homes have short, 4-foot open-slat fences to decorate the front patio of their yard. The walls are built by the Developer and must be maintained. The open slat fences are placed there by the developer and must be maintained by the homeowner. The homeowner is not allowed to remove the walls, or replace them with open-slatted fencing. And the homeowner is not allowed to remove the fence around the patio or replace it with a taller fence or paint it anything other than white.

As for the answer to the question, I don't know.

Old 11-06-2023, 08:18 AM

383 posts, read 664,546 times
I am looking for a way to have a yard for my dog to run around in and do their business for those times I don't want to walk them or take the to the dog park. This is what they are used to now. I know about the ones with the walls in the Villages and that is a consideration.

Old 11-06-2023, 08:35 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
I am looking for a way to have a yard for my dog to run around in and do their business for those times I don't want to walk them or take the to the dog park. This is what they are used to now. I know about the ones with the walls in the Villages and that is a consideration.
If the purpose of the fence is just to contain your dogs, you might consider an "electronic" fence. Basically, it's a wire that you bury in the yard around an area in which you want to keep your dog. The wire is hooked up to a battery or to a 110 volt electric circuit.

Then you put this collar on the dog that will deliver a jolt/shock to the dog if he gets within a couple feet of the buried wire. The dog quickly learns what the boundaries are and won't go near the boundary since they don't want to get shocked.

Do some searching online for an "electronic dog fence" or something similar to that.

Old 11-07-2023, 05:08 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Electric fences don’t provide much protection to the dog though. Although your dog receives a shock if they try to leave the boundary, nothing prevents someone or something from going into your yard and potentially harming or stealing your dog, or having your dog harm them.

You can argue that fences can be opened, and someone can just walk in, but fences can hide your dog and property while an electric fence cannot.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:33 AM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
In some case I think it depends on the location of the home. Some communities want the fence to be in the back of the home. I think you will have to ask for the specific lot you are looking at. Probably rules on the design of the fence also.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:08 AM

193 posts, read 407,855 times
We live in Del Webb Spruce Creek in Summerfield. We bought a year ago. There are houses with fenced yards but I do not believe you can install one now that does not have a fence. Not sure of the rules. We have a dog & would have loved a fenced in yard, but the 2 houses we looked at needed a lot of updating.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:46 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
You absolutely will not want your dog to run in your yard unattended. They are prey for owls, hawks, eagles, coyotes, and bobcats. But no - non villas cannot have new fences put up at the Villages. There are homes that have back fences separating them from non-Villages property. Those can be replaced only if they fall into disrepair, only if they are actually on your property, and only with approval of the Architectural Review Committee. But those are not enclosure fences, they don't wrap around your property. They're just to separate your property from the non-Villages property, and not all homes that abut non-Villages property have them.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:00 PM

693 posts, read 704,539 times
Oak Run allows fences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: