Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,129 times

Advertisements

Ocala was retirees and truckstops fifteen years ago. It's not like that anymore. The job market sucks (unemployment is 7.2%), so you'd best take the advice already given and stay closer to Gainesville or Orlando.

I live in the ONF. Certain areas are really gorgeous, but you have to search for them these days, rednecks tend to tear stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:56 PM

29 posts, read 88,454 times
Default I dont know

Hey all,i checked out ocala about 2 years ago,the schools atleast the ones i saw where not to good and if your from ny youll know what i mean...the mall was ok ,i wanted to move to citrus springs which is about 30 mins from ocala but decided to stay here in ny until if and when we cant do it anymore my kids are 8 and 6 so im trying to keep them up here for the schools.we acutally owna home in citrus which we currently are renting out..

Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 PM

103 posts, read 327,137 times
I've been in Florida for 7 LONG YEARS first Ocala for 4 then Tampa for 2 and back to Ocala for this last year. We are moving in 21 days and I can't wait to get out of here! There are two things I will miss when we head to the West Coast, my 2 best friends. My husband has worked midnight shift since before we met in 2004 and I choose to keep the same hours as he does so we get more time together. When you wake up at 3-4pm there are not many options for people our age (early 30's) to do cause EVERYTHING except Walmart closes by 9. I lost my job in Dec. it was a simple cashier job in a convenience store, haven't been able to find work since. I don't expect much more in a job market where we are moving to but at least I know for sure that the LV area of NV has a much better night life.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Oh yeah, the schools here are terrible. I was recently attending perhaps the worst in the county - Lake Weir High - but I just got transferred to one of the very best - Marion Technical Institute.

Really, it all depends on what it is you want to do. What kind of scene you're into.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:03 PM

9 posts, read 42,296 times
Journeyer - Ocala may not be the best choice. There are many job links out there but I'll only post one here: Florida Jobs - by Category
According to CNN Money:
Ocala Median Family Income = $ 44,343. (Keyword here is family)
Ocala Auto Insurance Averages $ 2,020 per year
Median House Price is $ 144,000
Average Ocala Property Tax = $ 1, 404
I will not go to schools because you have no need per your post.
Movie Theaters = 3 (one is Hollywood 16 so that is really 16 in one)
Restaurants = 469 (Few upper middle and no upper end)
Weather - average summer = 92.1 (very humid) average winter = 45.5 (it gets colder)
Median age = 39.3
44% are married 14.3% Divorced
County = Marion a population of about 270,000 with Ocala in the center with about 65,000 population.

Marion county is rural and very much a horse community. The projected job growth is 22.39% growth. When you look at the Median salary of $ 44,000 and a 22% job growth you clearly see the job growth is in low paying jobs and frankly probably related to the horse industry some how.

Jacksonville stats are different and better. If you want me to post those, just ask or go to CNN Money and check it out.

Best of luck.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 28,699 times
About 7yrs ago my Husband was unemployed. We left the kids with a friend and went out for dinner to discuss our situation. The table behind us turned out to be an informal county commissioners meeting. They were discussing whether or not to allow a large technologies company to move their headquarters here or not. They decided there was no need for technology jobs in "HORSE COUNTRY". This is my Husband's field. He ended up driving to Tampa for 3 years.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg8 View Post
About 7yrs ago my Husband was unemployed. We left the kids with a friend and went out for dinner to discuss our situation. The table behind us turned out to be an informal county commissioners meeting. They were discussing whether or not to allow a large technologies company to move their headquarters here or not. They decided there was no need for technology jobs in "HORSE COUNTRY". This is my Husband's field. He ended up driving to Tampa for 3 years.
When my husband was working for a major computer company in Texas about seven or eight years ago Ocala was one of the three cities that they had narrowed it down to for moving to. They ended up choosing Nashville Tennessee, because Ocala did not offer them the tax breaks.They would have brought lots and lots of high tech jobs if they had come here to Marion.

I personally think that it is sad that so many people are applying to work for Aldi when they open. They have had thousands of applicants for only about 112 jobs. That just shows how Ocalas job market is.

BTW. For all the folks who have been reading my posts about moving for a while now I am happy to announce that we are expecting to movee to Oklahoma City in 3-4 monthes!!

Last edited by Floridamom1970; 07-25-2008 at 10:31 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Interesting that they chose to leave out the high tech stuff, considering that the old library is being turned into something straight out of The Terminator...

Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 PM

41 posts, read 215,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk071077 View Post
A bit off topic but, has anyone been to the Ocala National Forest? If so is it worth going? I saw some pics in a book and it looks beautiful.
Ocala National Forest has a lot of beautiful spots. I have been to most of the natural springs but not any of the camp spots. I'm sure they would be decent spots as well.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM

41 posts, read 215,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Oh yeah, the schools here are terrible. I was recently attending perhaps the worst in the county - Lake Weir High - but I just got transferred to one of the very best - Marion Technical Institute.

Really, it all depends on what it is you want to do. What kind of scene you're into.
GOT? That is a bad school...hehe...j/k. I went to Lake Weir High School too, I'm not sure how it is today but I don't think it's the worse school in Marion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala