Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 04:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,729 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am new to this group, and was wondering if anyone could give some advice? I will be moving to Micanopy, FL close to family. I will be searching for a decent paying job, I am a dog groomer and have a great sales background. Would anyone recommend a city close by, Gainesville or Ocala, in your opinion for better job opportunities. Thanks for any advice and opinions.

Does anyone do the commutes, thank you!

Wendy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:17 AM

34 posts, read 132,124 times
Welcome to the area. You will have a commute to work in either direction. Job market is not very good in this part of the state other than Medical. Ocala is more retirees with a large and growing Hispanic population, also a large trucking hub. Gainesville is a college town and very family friendly with the primary industry being anything related to Universities and the several large hospitals. Gainesville seems to be growing more rapidly especially West of the I-75 even though the City officials seem hell bent on stopping growth. I cannot say for Ocala but Gainesville is very "green" and there are a lot of pet stores and demand of that sort of thing so you probably will be able to get work here or could start your own service.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 PM

9 posts, read 42,302 times
I agree with Chet - Gainesville will probably be best bet. Go Gators. Come football time and any time for that matter - Gainesville loves the Florida Gators (so do I) so be prepared for increased traffic. The Villages in south Marion County (south of Ocala about 10 miles on US 441) would be great if you get along with seniors. Huge market there and many have pets. They drive to the supermarket in their golf cars. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 PM

24 posts, read 83,535 times
Petsmart and petco are both in Gainesville and several other doggie places too. Not too far from Micanopy.

Ocala has a HUGE elderly population. If I were a dog groomer I would look into doing a portable service around those parts.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketotalk View Post
Petsmart and petco are both in Gainesville and several other doggie places too. Not too far from Micanopy.

Ocala has a HUGE elderly population. If I were a dog groomer I would look into doing a portable service around those parts.
Yup, we are all geezers in Ocala. Go to the dog park in Ocala and see how many dogs are there. Here on the east side there are not a lot of groomers, and contrary to other opinions, there is a lot of $$$$ on the east side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala