Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,577 times

Advertisements

Hi. My sister and her family have plans to move from PA to Ocala,Fl. I have been reading most of the comments posted about Ocala and i am seriously worried and not feeling so comfortable with the idea of they will be moving over there. Would somebody suggest us any better place to live in Florida state?

thanks we'll really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:59 AM

9 posts, read 28,700 times
I have lived here all my life. It's not a scary place, but it just doesn't offer a whole lot to children. We're trying to move out. It's mostly horse farms and retirees. Unless you're into either of those scenes it offers very little else! My adolescence was spent "hanging out" and drinking. I just want more for my kids.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:46 PM

30 posts, read 130,806 times
My adolescence was spent hanging out and drinking and I grew up in PA!

Guess it just depends on where you are and what you do.

What about Ocala scares you? South Florida is much more expensive (higher cost of living) Ocala is scarce on jobs right now - but a lot of places are.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:43 PM

19 posts, read 58,360 times
I was visiting last week and was so carried away with blue springs. I wonder if folks who live close by take advantage to spend time there. I didn't even know how beautiful the natural part of central FL is, due to all the people who are just wanting out of that state so badly.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg8 View Post
I have lived here all my life. It's not a scary place, but it just doesn't offer a whole lot to children. We're trying to move out. It's mostly horse farms and retirees. Unless you're into either of those scenes it offers very little else! My adolescence was spent "hanging out" and drinking. I just want more for my kids.

I did the same thing hanging out and drinking and I grew up in the North East. My half sister grew up in the city and guess what she hung out and drank too I think thats common for teens no matter where they live.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM

174 posts, read 626,500 times
Ocala offers wonderful outdoor recreation. Between the National Forest, the Springs, and two salt water bodies less than an hour away it is really ideally located. Tampa, Jax, and Orlando are less than 1.5 hours away. Ocala has a couple of soccer clubs (Big Sun and Belleview) and a gymnastics academy (balcony). There's plenty to do but the long-timers seem to give Ocala a hard time because its got a fair share of retirees.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:37 AM

30 posts, read 183,221 times
There is nothing scary about moving to Ocala. I have been here since 1984. We will be moving due to job promotion to Texas as soon as our house sells, otherwise we would stay here for ever. So I don't think that everyone wants out of Florida that badly. We are in a good location as mentioned above to other things. We seem to have an advantage against the occasional hurricane. They lose most of their punch by the time they get here.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 PM

41 posts, read 215,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leabee43 View Post
I was visiting last week and was so carried away with blue springs. I wonder if folks who live close by take advantage to spend time there. I didn't even know how beautiful the natural part of central FL is, due to all the people who are just wanting out of that state so badly.
Don't get me wrong I love Florida and would never move out of state. One of my favorite springs is Silver Glen. It's great to go and check out the springs that Central FL has to offer.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,699,154 times
Tampa Bay and Orlando. These areas are better than Ocala. There is more to do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerc1169 View Post
Hi. My sister and her family have plans to move from PA to Ocala,Fl. I have been reading most of the comments posted about Ocala and i am seriously worried and not feeling so comfortable with the idea of they will be moving over there. Would somebody suggest us any better place to live in Florida state?

thanks we'll really appreciate it.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:06 AM

156 posts, read 1,063,686 times
I think it just depends on what you are looking for. I came from NY to Ocala and most people told me it was slow, nothing to do, dont do that to your kids, etc etc. But where I am from in NY was the same and quite honestly, that was what I was looking for. My sisters live in Richmond VA now and love the city life. That is perfect for them, but not me.

And previous posters are right, I think all teenagers just hang out and drink beer! As much as we like to think if we move our kids to a city rich in culture they will be out enjoying it on their own. The fact of the matter is we are the ones that will be driving/dragging our kids everywhere anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala