Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times

Advertisements

I was almost shocked to hear this one! Corrections Corporation of America is wanting to build a Medium security facility, that would house 2000 beds for convicts.

I was just reading this article in the Ocala Star-Banner and did not know if I should laugh or worry. I can not say that there are too many people who live in Marion Oaks, who will be in favor of this.

Article: Prison could be built within Marion Oaks | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL

I have owned a home near Phillips State Prison in Buford GA, but that facility was only half the size of the one proposed for Marion Oaks. I can say that I never had any problems, but that facility is not built in the middle of a sub-division either.

Any thoughts on the "Bad" OR "Good" in which this facility could potentially bring to our area?? I moved out of the "M.O." a year ago, but we did not move far... so this is still pretty close to us (with in 15 minutes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM

174 posts, read 626,612 times
The site they are talking about is east of M.O. I don't think it's that big a deal but public opposition may kill it before it starts. I'm working on an 8,000 unit development south of Coleman Federal in Sumter County and all the marketing says that being across from a Federal prison will not affect purchse rates...we'll see.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetWorld View Post
The site they are talking about is east of M.O. I don't think it's that big a deal but public opposition may kill it before it starts. I'm working on an 8,000 unit development south of Coleman Federal in Sumter County and all the marketing says that being across from a Federal prison will not affect purchse rates...we'll see.
Well, I do know what east of Marion Oaks looks like, I live east of the M.O. Here is a map, which I highlighted (Proposed Prison area and schools):
http://www.newandusedhomes.com/MO/MO_PrisionSite.jpg (broken link)

First, I need to say.... WHOAAAAAAA WAY WAY too close to Sunrise Elementary and Horizon Academy Middle Schools!

I can not tell you what kind of marketing can make a federal Medium to Maximum Security facility (built inside a sub-D) look appealing or an over-all asset to property value. I was always told that you can paint a turd, but it is still a turd. LOL so trying to gloss this one and make it appealing will possibly be a test for a Marketing Genius!

I know that area NEEDS employment, that is no secret, but at what cost? I also know that the MO AND Timberwalk are in need of a serious Booster Shot; there are many MANY Rentals, Foreclosures and For Sale properties as of right now... This is not a positive impact to bring to an already ailing housing market. Of course that is just my opinion, and I was a Realtor and worked in the Residential Building Trade for over a decade... But, I could be wrong.

Summer Glen and Possibly even Oak Run will also take a hit with this one. Both are retirement communities and Summer Glen is less than 2.25 miles east, while Oak Run's back entrance off 484 is about 4 miles (if that) from the site as well.

More info from the Ocala Star-Banner:
Residents lining up to oppose new prison | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL

Old 08-28-2008, 08:33 AM

huh, that's pretty much right in the middle of M.O. I guess I thought it was going to be west of the 484 bend. In my original post I said east but I think I meant west of M.O. Regardless that looks like the middle of M.O. I guess it will be dependent upon M.O. residents standing up and having their voices heard

Old 08-30-2008, 07:22 PM

156 posts, read 1,063,762 times
Thankfully we are still renting! And thankfully only 10 months to go...they couldn't possibly have it all approved and built by then could they? I hope....

Old 08-30-2008, 08:02 PM

Jen,

I am not sure about the specifics yet... but this is too "close in" for the kind of facility it is aiming to be.

There is a meeting at the MO community center Auditorium (next to the sheriff's office) this coming week. If you want to attend and get more information, it is September 2nd at 7 PM (294 Marion Oaks Lane). I can not go, I have class that night.... but if you or someone you know goes, it would be great to get the info from the meeting.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:03 AM

156 posts, read 1,063,762 times
I would love to go- but I have a meeting at the kiddo's school from 6-7 and that is a half hour away. Anyone else able to attend out there? That thing is like literally in my back yard!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
In a state the size of Florida with the mass-population that Florida has, Prisons being built in residential neighborhoods was bound to happen sooner or later.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 AM

www.ocala.com

Marion County Commissioners voted this morning to accept a motion to relocate the prison site away from Marion Oaks.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetWorld View Post
www.ocala.com

Marion County Commissioners voted this morning to accept a motion to relocate the prison site away from Marion Oaks.

That is wonderful news. There are so many other areas in Marion County, better suited for such a large facility.

I was unable to attend either one of the meetings at the Community Center in Marion Oaks, because they bad both been held on nights that I had classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala