Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,556 times

Advertisements

Friends of ours, live in Palm Bay, say the more inland you live the hotter it is. True or not? We like the Howey in The Hills area and Leesburg. Our friends have stressed that living near the ocean it is cooler and less bugs Makes sense but.... whats your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM

58 posts, read 245,763 times
Subbing.

We will most likely move to the Ocala area next summer. I have relatives out there, & one said it can get chilly in the winter time.

Also, something I read was there are more tornadoes in that area than the rest of Florida. They don't have basements either, correct?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 PM

Yes, living in the midwest we are use to having a basement too. So I guess its tornado's, inland or hurricanes closer to the ocean.
We just thought the area had some great landscaping. More pine trees and a few hills. Great for the motorcylces.

Good luck on your move, Jackie. We hope to follow soon

Old 12-21-2008, 08:45 PM

58 posts, read 245,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
Yes, living in the midwest we are use to having a basement too. So I guess its tornado's, inland or hurricanes closer to the ocean.
We just thought the area had some great landscaping. More pine trees and a few hills. Great for the motorcylces.

Good luck on your move, Jackie. We hope to follow soon
Pine trees? Hills? You can have a palm tree too? Heck, I'm in!!

I can't WAIT to get to Florida....been waiting 5+ years!! I hope you get there soon too!!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:44 AM

thank you. we do too today in central ohio its only 3 degrees. Don't want to mention the wind chill factor.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:41 PM

30 posts, read 183,163 times
It is going to be 35 tonite but up to 79 on Wednesday. Not a bad high for Christmas eve. Keep in mind our tornado's are typically a lot weaker then midwest ones, F1 or F2 usually. However we are the lightning capitol of the nation.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM

I have heard that about Florida. The lightening capital. When we were in Orlando in June the storms were amazing. Knock on wood, we have not had a tornado come past us. Been close a few times.
We did get the remnents from Hurricane Ike. A bunch of roofs were damaged. Had 50-60 mile per hours winds.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:49 PM

122 posts, read 168,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
Friends of ours, live in Palm Bay, say the more inland you live the hotter it is. True or not? We like the Howey in The Hills area and Leesburg. Our friends have stressed that living near the ocean it is cooler and less bugs Makes sense but.... whats your opinions.
Here's the rule of thumb for Florida:

Being closer to the coast means cooler daytime temperatures and warmer nighttime temperatures. It could be below freezing in Ocala in the middle of winter, but go over to Daytona Beach (just over an hour to the east, nearly exact same latitude) and the temperature might be in the low to mid 40's. Orlando (middle of the state) generally gets hotter in the summer than the Florida Keys - far to the south - because Orlando is inland. On the other hand, while summer low temperatures in Orlando might drop down to the mid 60's, it is not uncommon for the Keys to have low temperatures in summer in the 80's! That's why you'll hear Floridians saying that the ocean has a "moderating" effect on climate here - it keeps temperatures from getting too hot, but it also keeps them from getting too cold, if you're the type of person who likes occasional freezing temperatures in winter. You're much more likely to see temperatures above 100 degrees in inland Florida during the summer, and you're much more likely to see temperatures below freezing in inland Florida during the winter.

I personally think that the bugs are horrible regardless of where you are in the state . But yes, you'll see fewer mosquitoes and other "critters" the closer you are to the ocean.

Hope that helps, and good luck on your move!

Old 12-25-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
Here's the rule of thumb for Florida:

Being closer to the coast means cooler daytime temperatures and warmer nighttime temperatures. It could be below freezing in Ocala in the middle of winter, but go over to Daytona Beach (just over an hour to the east, nearly exact same latitude) and the temperature might be in the low to mid 40's. Orlando (middle of the state) generally gets hotter in the summer than the Florida Keys - far to the south - because Orlando is inland. On the other hand, while summer low temperatures in Orlando might drop down to the mid 60's, it is not uncommon for the Keys to have low temperatures in summer in the 80's! That's why you'll hear Floridians saying that the ocean has a "moderating" effect on climate here - it keeps temperatures from getting too hot, but it also keeps them from getting too cold, if you're the type of person who likes occasional freezing temperatures in winter. You're much more likely to see temperature
above 100 degrees in inland Florida during the summer, and you're much more likely to see temperatures below freezing in inland Florida during the winter.

I personally think that the bugs are horrible regardless of where you are in the state . But yes, you'll see fewer mosquitoes and other "critters" the closer you are to the ocean.

Hope that helps, and good luck on your move!

thanks, it does help. We would rather get away from the freezing at night temps. When it comes to our move, time is on our hands. Prices seem to still be dropping in FL. So this gives us time to figure out the areas of interest. Right now anything warm would do

thank you again for the info. merry christmas

Old 12-26-2008, 10:58 AM

30 posts, read 183,163 times
Here in Ocala we don't see too many nights that hit the freezing mark. I think we had 3 nights so far this winter. Prices are also not dropping in some areas like the rest of the state. Most of the homes for sale here in Ocala seem to not be budging. Buyers are thinking that everything can be had for a steel but people don't seem interested in selling below a certain point. There are some that need to sell quick for a job move here and there but most are just sitting. Just keep an eye on the econmy because if it starts to get better this spring I think the inventory will dry up. Our house has been on the market since May but so have a lot of other houses in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala