U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:36 AM

14 posts, read 32,184 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate from Miami to Ocala. What areas are better in Ocala? I have a 1yr old and another on the way. We're also bringing my parents and grandparents with us. Can anyone offer some advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 AM

38 posts, read 111,928 times
Hey there, we are from Miami and have been here three years. Ocala is fantastic! As far as we are concerned west of I-75 on SR200 is the best places for a family. Try "Fore Ranch" there are Townhomes,Condos and Houses for sale, We live in the Condo area. The Club house is fantastic for the whole family. There is a great pool, awesome gym, etc.. The Heathbrook area is very nice also. There are homes for sale in the Subdivision called Heathbrook Hills and new builders are also in Heathbrook preserve (Adams homes and D.R. Horton) All subdivisions are with walking distance of a Publix shopping center and the new outdoor mall (Market Street at Heath Brook). Both Fore Ranch and Heath Brook are right next to the Mall,a great Hospital (West Marion), minutes from everything (Target, Walmart, Medical Parks, Restaurants) and SAFE!!!!! We have a 2yr old. Good luck and it will be the best move you would have made. It is another world up here.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:45 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,524,082 times
I think there would be some culture shock due to the size difference, southern culture, and lack of urban amenities, but Ocala does offer a smaller town, laid back environment. It is not a bad place to live by any means, but is much different than Miami. I know living in Orlando like I do that even Orlando is a drastic change from Miami, so how much more to Ocala.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:36 AM

30 posts, read 169,322 times
It is true the Heathbrook area is a nice area but it is right on top of the city as well. If you are looking to be a little farther out then you might want to look at Silver Springs Shores. If you are looking for one home to house all of you then it may be a more difficult find. Most common house is the 3/2/2 here.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 AM

11 posts, read 45,986 times
My advice depends on what price you would like to pay, schools and amenities and if you would like to pay a monthly fee for the amenities.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 127,319 times
Don't do it. You will be back in Miami in less than a year. Try Stuart or Orlando. The Ocala area is a cultural black hole.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 AM

57 posts, read 272,252 times
Depends if you enjoy cow tipping,ambulance chasing and stairing at the sky. My best advise is if you take the plunge make sure you have a job lined up and rent before you buy any homes. Otherwise, you will find yourself stuck into a bad situlation(I don't know you might like it )

Not many bad areas in Ocala and the so-called bad areas pale in comparison to the worst areas in Miami. Just stay away from the west-side of Ocala and you should be fine.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,955,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_being_myself View Post
Just stay away from the west-side of Ocala and you should be fine.
This is the second thread I have seen you say that about the west side......WTF?????? Sounds like you might just be doing a wee bit of stereotyping, which is very uncool.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:59 PM

57 posts, read 272,252 times
kshe, the Westside of Ocala is a bad area. Not every part of the Westside but from Pine Ave down to N.H Jones I wouldn't recommend too many people live there. The southwestside of Ocala is fine but from W Silver Spring Blvd to N.H. Jones I recommend you not venture too deep at night time.

I am sure there are many great people from the Westside( most of my friends came from there) but the bad element is not a place to raise children in. If you read my post I stated it was tame but its still a bad area.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:19 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,955,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_being_myself View Post
kshe, the Westside of Ocala is a bad area. Not every part of the Westside but from Pine Ave down to N.H Jones I wouldn't recommend too many people live there. The southwestside of Ocala is fine but from W Silver Spring Blvd to N.H. Jones I recommend you not venture too deep at night time.

I am sure there are many great people from the Westside( most of my friends came from there) but the bad element is not a place to raise children in. If you read my post I stated it was tame but its still a bad area.
You should really be more precise, people will think you are stereotyping the whole area, not a good thing!
People regularly say nasty things about the area I live in (the Forest). I have been here 6 years have never had anything happen even close to here. Before then we lived right behind the shopping plaza where Ross is, nothing ever happened there either, we were there for 15 years. There are a lot of misconceptions about certain areas here. I know every time I tell someone I live in the Forest, they give me funny looks, like how can that be? She has all her teeth, and wears shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala