Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:37 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times

Advertisements

OK, let's get to it and explore life for those over 55 in the Ocala area, and I don't just mean the 55+ communities. Some of us over 55, but not yet retired, might wish to explore neighborhoods or living situations outside of 55+ communities, so input on both options would be helpful. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to be said for 55+ communities, but the drawback is that sometimes people tend to isolate themselves in these places and don't concern themselves with the broader area.

Are there more traditional, modest but pleasant neighborhoods in the Ocala/Marion County area where an older, but not yet retired, person would be comfortable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 12:09 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,342,677 times
I think you have to tell us the type of housing your are looking for and a rough costs.

I think you are correct that in a large over 55 community you tend to think inside the community more than the surrounding area, but their are some that participate in area activities. I think you will find more community orientated individuals in the over 55 communities than in the traditional residential neighborhoods.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think you have to tell us the type of housing your are looking for and a rough costs.

I think you are correct that in a large over 55 community you tend to think inside the community more than the surrounding area, but their are some that participate in area activities. I think you will find more community orientated individuals in the over 55 communities than in the traditional residential neighborhoods.
I'm thinking of an area like Marion Oaks, without the crime and hostility. Older, smaller, more modest homes. With prices to match.

Now, for 55+ communities, it looks to me like OTOW, Pine Run, Palm Cay, Spruce Creek, etc. OTOW would NOT be for me, I can tell you that right now with great certainty. Any others that should be added?

You're right that people in some 55+ communities do get involved with the broader area, because they have the time and resources to do so. This is true of the area where I live right now. However, some of these folks really need to get a clue as to where their focus needs to be and that's all I have to say about that. They mean well, though.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:03 PM

529 posts, read 1,174,633 times
I would not rule out Marion Landing as a 55+. If you are seeking SECO electric and Spectrum cable, try Harvest Meadow and Country Meadow Estates on the SW quadrant of 200 and Airport Rd, pass on Majestic Oaks due to that specific HOA. Oak something or other directly behind the Walgreens on the NW quadrant of that intersection. If I think of others, I'll post.

Dax

Old 09-03-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
I would not rule out Marion Landing as a 55+. If you are seeking SECO electric and Spectrum cable, try Harvest Meadow and Country Meadow Estates on the SW quadrant of 200 and Airport Rd, pass on Majestic Oaks due to that specific HOA. Oak something or other directly behind the Walgreens on the NW quadrant of that intersection. If I think of others, I'll post.

Dax
Once again, thank you, Dax. Quite a selection of 55+ communities. Prefer a house older than 1980s, if possible.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:35 PM

529 posts, read 1,174,633 times
Of those I listed, only Marion Landing is 55+. The area of Oak something or other behind Walgreens is an smaller older established neighborhood of homes built in late 80's. Properly known as Bahia Oaks unit 3, it faces Airport Rd and many residents have lived there many years. Homes are VERY affordable and on a par with what you would find in Marion Oaks, but better maintained and zero negatives.

Dax

Old 09-03-2017, 06:40 PM

I think from your post Marion Oaks is not in the running. Know very little about it but but I agree.
Zillo https://www.zillow.com/fl/and Trulia https://www.trulia.com/ might let you search for what you are looking for. Use Google Earth to see the surrounding area.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think from your post Marion Oaks is not in the running. Know very little about it but but I agree.
Zillo https://www.zillow.com/fl/and Trulia https://www.trulia.com/ might let you search for what you are looking for. Use Google Earth to see the surrounding area.
Sometimes google earth is hilarious.

Seriously, though, it's a great tool in many ways. It gives me an idea whether I want to pursue an area further. I've made some eliminations based on what it shows me. However, it's no substitute for being there, as I found with one property I saw recently in another town.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:44 AM

Found it. Oak Run. Seems interesting.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Found it. Oak Run. Seems interesting.
You should then look at OTOW too. It has various types of communities so be sure to look at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala