U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 PM

36 posts, read 89,297 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

What does the law state concerning the discharge of a firearm in Marion Oaks while on personal property (i.e. back yard)? I already know the law within city limits of Ocala, but the law is a bit nebulous in the County.

I have a small caliber (.22 LR) which I enjoy "plinking" with my son. Our house is surrounded by forest 1,000 feet thick on three sides with one house on one side about 500 feet away.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 AM

26,590 posts, read 57,159,551 times
I'd suggest calling the non-emergency number of the sheriff's department and asking them.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,575,593 times
Did you realize that maximum range for that caliber rifle is a mile at a 45 degree angle?
Unless you are in a VERY remote area, you run the risk of shooting into the neighbors houses, or worse yet, the neighbors!

Old 06-07-2009, 04:40 PM

I understand your apprehension considering that Ocala's intelligence capital is quite low on the proverbial totem pole; however, I have 8 years in the military with a Master's degree in Computer Science as well as a CWP. I have taught calculus as well as calculus-based physics so I understand the elementary basics of parabolic motion. I would not even consider aiming any firearm toward the zenith (firearms class 101). Anyone who has had the classes in basic firearms for the CWP realizes this and understands responsibility.

No smugness intended, but the simple truth.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,575,593 times
You never stated that you had ANY military background at all, therefore, I felt that a warning was in order.
One never knows, especially in this county.
I would still be very careful about firing a weapon anywhere, as the Marion County Sheriffs seem to be rather ignorant of the laws they have been charged with upholding.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You never stated that you had ANY military background at all, therefore, I felt that a warning was in order.
One never knows, especially in this county.
I would still be very careful about firing a weapon anywhere, as the Marion County Sheriffs seem to be rather ignorant of the laws they have been charged with upholding.
Yes, I absolutely agree! And I do appreciate the warning. You can never tell who is ignorant of the obvious . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala