Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:30 AM

14 posts, read 60,405 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are looking to move to Crystal River next year. Would love to hear anything you want to share about the area. We also have friends in Ocala-how is it there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 AM

15 posts, read 106,730 times
I'd be happy to help. I am a FL native and lived in Crystal River for 3 years. In fact, we are getting ready to short sale our home there in the next few months.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 PM

109 posts, read 439,847 times
cee.acdia, I do not know if you followed all the posts but I gave a lenghty opinion on Crystal River. If you saw this post then this will be redondent. I was going to rent a house in Crystal River because the two brothers that own the local sport shop up here in Wisconsin bought a house about 3 miles north of Crystal River and spent some time in that area and fished Crystal River. I did not end up renting the house for personal reason, (first and only grandchild arrived) but did a ton of research into this area. It is really a neat area to live in. I have lived in Boca, Del Ray Beach, Palm Beach and Vero Beach. This area is great for high end living and things to do but it depends on your circumstances. It is like people from Chicago ask me if they will be happy in North Wisconsin and I always tell them it depends on your relationship. If you are the kind of people that need outside stimulization to keep you from being bored, do not move to a small town area, on the other hand if you are secure in your relationship and are happy to be together and enjoy simple pleasure of life, this is your area. There are few big night clubs, No Nordstroms, Bloomingdale, Saks, Lord and Taylor or even a Macy's but as I always said, I can travel to the "hustle and bustle" but the serinity I charish is at home. So, the bottomline if you are both comfortable with being togther and do not need a lot of outside stimuli, this is a great place to be. Freindly people, good returaunts, recreation, beaches, all sorts of outdoor activities. Good Luck

Old 03-25-2010, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 18,440 times
I personally live in Pine Ridge which is one town over from Crystal River. But we own 2 condo's on the water in Crystal river and Ive worked there for the full 5 years Ive lived in FL. I moved down here from CT 5 yrs ago and absolutely love love love the location. Very little traffic, even with the snowbirds in town. Most people know someone who knows someone who knows you within a very short time. The weather is great, the boating and wildlife are fantastic. The only complaint that I have here is the people. I dont know if the education levels are low for "crackers" but people down here are very undependable. The dont follow thru and rarely do what they say they will. Besides the incompitance of the people.. this place really is super!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 AM

7 posts, read 85,569 times
I was born and raised in Citrus County(small enough to refer to the county rather then the towns). I lived the majority of it in Homosassa and Crystal River. If you Love water, fishing and Seafood then Crystal river(even Homosassa) is the place for you. Its has a small town feel, with restaurants that people from all over Florida come to eat (Oysters is my personal favorite, been here for years but Dan's Clam Stand isn't bad either). There are Manatees and plenty of wildlife. The economy isn't half bad, and people are generally friendly. You have a good mix of snowbirds and locals so you wont feel out of place. There are good areas for swimming and Boating is a major past-time here. If you like the Sun, can handle the humidity, then enjoy.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 19,212 times
Beware of real estate frauds in Crystal River. We lost over $100,000 off a 2008 ebay ad for the address of 621 S. Log Haven Point (formerly "Ozello Trail address), Crystal River. That seller is now attempting to repeat this.
There are gobs of warnings about this exact property - including photographs, government documents, actual official appraisals, toxic mold contamination reports, code violations case numbers, inspection reports and much, much more. Just search "log cabin crystal river ." Then also search out the seller etc.
The economy is really bad here, far worst than official unemployment statitistics. There are basically no jobs here. Scams are rampant. Crime is up of course.
The area is still beautiful. But if you are looking to move here, seriously consider canal waterfront property. Those are good still relatively safe neighborhoods of very well kept houses. Clear spring canals out your door, the canals leading to the bay and on to the Gulf. The canal system is almost like it's own roadway.
But understand that more and more people are being ripped off by people selling houses already foreclosed or they don't own, that have more liens on them than worth and just walk away, do shoddy work with no permits to make the property seem great - then leave the buyer with tens of thousands of dollars of work that must be undone and then redone by LICENSED professionals, non-disclosure of known toxic mold contamination (you CAN'T JUST FUMIGATE IT AWAY and it is not rare the house must be demolished even if seemingly ok - toxic mold can kill you) etc, etc.

DON'T do "Quit claim" deeds, Do NOT do "owner financing," "rent to own," "contact for deed" or ANYTHING but a title company policy in a recorded mortgage deed AND that YOUR lawyer or realtor goes over the contract (swapping out pages and changing legal property descriptions is another scam attempt) and you want a survey done of the actual property of the contract legal description first!

Remember, scam artists come across as particularly believable and friendly. Beware of non-American sellers for many reasons too. Real reasons.

If you are considering a "log cabin" in Crystal River, ALL ALARMS should go off! Search Google for both the property and the seller.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:40 PM

15 posts, read 54,597 times
Default What about sink holes?

I read there a lot of sink holes in that county and it is almost impossible to get insurance. Any info on that?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 14,135 times
Yes, Sinkholes Happen. Home Insurance, Well good luck! Most Big name companies won't write Home policies. The only option, seems to be Citizens Insurance (State backed insurance company) Again, Good luck!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 AM

2 posts, read 23,185 times
well looking for aplace in ozello email me [EMAIL="melvinneycreek@yahoo.com"]melvinneycreek@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nzigo View Post
I'd be happy to help. I am a FL native and lived in Crystal River for 3 years. In fact, we are getting ready to short sale our home there in the next few months.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 AM

2 posts, read 23,185 times
looking for some thing in ozello just a weekend get away!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala