Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 06:00 PM

97 posts, read 273,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Really Flyers Fan? So visiting your children in Ocala you feel qualified to advise him to "stop waiting for someone else to give him a job." How condescending of you. When youve lived in Ocala as he has -then perhaps you can advise as to the feasibility of him opening a welding business. I would not move to Ocala but am familiar enough with the area to know its not a hotbed of employment opportunities.

OP - I think your utility bills are a real problem, and understand your frustration. Do what you have to - including relocating - just do your homework on realistic employment opportunities and cost of living. Good luck.
That you so very much for your understanding. I have been online looking in many job banks for weling jobs. I have done this for a couple months now. And it seems like Houston is just about the only place that has a lot of welding and many other jobs.
For anyone that wants the info just logon to Texas Workforce then anyone can see the job ops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 06:03 PM

749 posts, read 2,426,310 times
The electric bill #'s are astronomomical. I'd tint the house windows, blow some more insulation in, white shingles, whatever to get the bill down. You ever try the nuke plant out in Crystal River? Welders there make good money. I'd try the shipyards in Tampa too although it's a liitle far for a daily commute they might have something going on.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
The electric bill #'s are astronomomical. I'd tint the house windows, blow some more insulation in, white shingles, whatever to get the bill down. You ever try the nuke plant out in Crystal River? Welders there make good money. I'd try the shipyards in Tampa too although it's a liitle far for a daily commute they might have something going on.
The nuke plant in Crystal River is on hold,it has stopped. Now there is a new one to be built in Levey Co. But they arrnt to start until mid-late 2010.
The reason for knowing this is that I am taking all the courses such as:NCCER, GOING GREEN,OHSA SAFTY, and many other welding certs.
Just to get into the power plant industry. See Shaw construction and the other big nuke plant construction contractore will not even talk to anyone without these such certs. or training classes.
So I am doing everything and ALL I can do to get back to work.
I will not get done 100% with classes untill June 14,2010.
But by then there should be work around here.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:01 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,955,647 times
Quote:
Really Flyers Fan? So visiting your children in Ocala you feel qualified to advise him to "stop waiting for someone else to give him a job." How condescending of you. When youve lived in Ocala as he has -then perhaps you can advise as to the feasibility of him opening a welding business. I would not move to Ocala but am familiar enough with the area to know its not a hotbed of employment opportunities.

OP - I think your utility bills are a real problem, and understand your frustration. Do what you have to - including relocating - just do your homework on realistic employment opportunities and cost of living. Good luck.
The bottom line is that there is no "hotbed" of employment opportunities anywhere right now especially if your main objective is to work for someone else. If your main goal is to get more certifications so you can work for someone else in 2010 then you need to set your sights higher......working for someone else never gets you to where you want to be financially or waiting for "better times" either. Your right that I have little knowledge of welding, however there are a lot of businesses that rely upon welding services that either don't wish to employ a full time welder or do the work themselves. For example....when I was much younger the first business I went into was the chain link fencing business...(which I have sold and moved on sice) .....not residential....but commercial/industrial......I did miles of fence on some contracts and I started with NOTHING !!! One thing that I noticed was that if someone knew welding they could fabricate the large industrial/commercial rolling gates for those installing the fencing at every commercial job....you can be sure there are fencing companies all over Florida that would be more than happy to buy their gates from him if the price were right......and he would be working for himself with very little or no start up cost at all....thats just one instance where a welder could start a business with little effort and I'm sure there are lots more. You don't have to be Mr. Businessman to be successful.......just see an opportunity and not be afraid to grab it !!!

Old 12-26-2009, 07:04 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,955,647 times
Quote:

I am familiar enough that I have plans to move to Ocala next year and plan to start a business.....theres no use whining about the economy.....see a need and fill it......its that simple.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:20 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,756,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I am familiar enough that I have plans to move to Ocala next year and plan to start a business.....theres no use whining about the economy.....see a need and fill it......its that simple.
Well since you are a welder I am certain you will be able to have him apply for a position. Oh yeah - I bet you're not a welder. And you havent opened the business and you are coming from New Jersey. So you are not similarly situated to the poster.

Hmmm. Big surprise. No, typical. Transplant from Jersey (yes that includes the New Yorkers too) who know everything to know about living in Florida. Not surprising.

Yeah - I said it. Rip away - I dont care.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
The bottom line is that there is no "hotbed" of employment opportunities anywhere right now especially if your main objective is to work for someone else. If your main goal is to get more certifications so you can work for someone else in 2010 then you need to set your sights higher......working for someone else never gets you to where you want to be financially or waiting for "better times" either. Your right that I have little knowledge of welding, however there are a lot of businesses that rely upon welding services that either don't wish to employ a full time welder or do the work themselves. For example....when I was much younger the first business I went into was the chain link fencing business...(which I have sold and moved on sice) .....not residential....but commercial/industrial......I did miles of fence on some contracts and I started with NOTHING !!! One thing that I noticed was that if someone knew welding they could fabricate the large industrial/commercial rolling gates for those installing the fencing at every commercial job....you can be sure there are fencing companies all over Florida that would be more than happy to buy their gates from him if the price were right......and he would be working for himself with very little or no start up cost at all....thats just one instance where a welder could start a business with little effort and I'm sure there are lots more. You don't have to be Mr. Businessman to be successful.......just see an opportunity and not be afraid to grab it !!!
Fences, Ha.
Everone here has been doing fences. There is way too much of that sort of thing.
Cut throat to the end.
Did you start out with a job or plainly nothing like me? Were you working when you started, even for someone else.
See I have no job.
Understand that is the difference here.
Having something to start with and having nothing to do nothing with.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:25 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,756,411 times
Edgells - I lived in Florida - I know how bad the economy is - I know tradesmen who have been employed for years have no work. Take my advice and do not waste your energy on Flyers Fan - see he has relatives in Ocala. Doesnt live there - but visits.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Edgells - I lived in Florida - I know how bad the economy is - I know tradesmen who have been employed for years have no work. Take my advice and do not waste your energy on Flyers Fan - see he has relatives in Ocala. Doesnt live there - but visits.
You are so correct, just visiting and no understanding of what Ocala is about.
I live here and I have to do what I can do. But he has a business but no sense of what Ocala is about.
If he lived here and knew what he was talking about then that would be different.
But he is just visiting, oh boy.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:16 PM

236 posts, read 897,416 times
No I"m not in the city. I'm in Rolling Hills, but would like to move, the house is just too big for us now. I would go nuts if the electric bills were that high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala