Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:56 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,179 times

Advertisements

I read like a demon, and while I keep my favorites, I tend to sell off those I know I won't want to read again. So I have a ton of books that I've been listing on Amazon, but for many of them, the price realized would be so low, it's not worth it, even though they look brand new. I'd like to find a good used bookstore that will give me a decent return on these books.

Alternatively, does the Marion County Library system accept donations of used books? Do any charities like Brother's Keeper or the Humane Society accept them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,284 times
I do not know if the library accepts used books but Goodwill, Interfaith or the Salvation Army will accept them.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the information. I like to see my books go to good use if I can't resell them (and reselling them gives me more money -- to buy more books!).

Old 01-14-2010, 01:11 PM

104 posts, read 252,959 times
Don't forget that if you donate the books you get a tax deduction (if you itemize). Be sure to get a receipt. Less cash to Uncle Sam = more cash for you to buy more books!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDC View Post
Don't forget that if you donate the books you get a tax deduction (if you itemize). Be sure to get a receipt. Less cash to Uncle Sam = more cash for you to buy more books!
Don't I know it! We've been donating clothing to local charities for years -- we gave them tons of stuff after my father died, then after my mother died, and we gave most of our winter clothes away when we moved here. I made sure to get a receipt for the tax deduction every time (and Turbo Tax makes it very easy at tax time).

Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 AM

136 posts, read 329,495 times
Baroni's Twice Read Tales is a nice used book store. 4901 E. Silver Springs Blvd, Suite #601 in Ocala, FL, located in The Shoppes of Silver Springs Shopping Center (formerly Six Gun Plaza). We use them because we read a lot too. Very nice store, lots of books. I think the local library does accept books and has a sale at least once a year. We took a few stacks a few years ago. Don't believe all the negative talk about Ocala. We have been here 11 years and it is a great place to raise kids, live and work (if you still work). Orlando just an hour away, Gainesville just to the north and beaches on both sides. You make life what you want it to be.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBFL50 View Post
Baroni's Twice Read Tales is a nice used book store. 4901 E. Silver Springs Blvd, Suite #601 in Ocala, FL, located in The Shoppes of Silver Springs Shopping Center (formerly Six Gun Plaza). We use them because we read a lot too. Very nice store, lots of books.

I'll keep that one in mind -- thank you. I think there may be one closer to us (we're in Dunnellon, closer to Ocala than to Dunnellon itself).

I think the local library does accept books and has a sale at least once a year. We took a few stacks a few years ago.

Our library back home would accept books, but only paperbacks. They also had sales, but they were never on a real schedule. I got a few good books, but most of the time, it was a horror to look for anything -- all genres were just jumbled together on tables, and you had to have the patience of a saint to find anything.

Don't believe all the negative talk about Ocala.

I don't. So far, we like it here. My husband hates having to drive so much to get anywhere, but that's the price you pay when you want a bit of land around your house.

We have been here 11 years and it is a great place to raise kids, live and work (if you still work).

Thankfully, I'm retired, and so is my husband. (Thank God for pensions that allowed both of us to escape horrible situations at our jobs.)

Orlando just an hour away,

We went to Costco yesterday. I'm a Costco addict and hadn't been in one in two months! It's disappointing that there isn't one closer (NJ spoiled us -- there were four of them within a half-hour drive of our house). I changed my address at the CS counter, and the people in front of me were from OTOW. The three of us asked if one was coming here, and the gentleman behind the counter said that the company was being very cautious in expanding. He also said that a lot of their customers come from the Ocala area, and if they built one here or in the Villages, it would be a gold mine.

Gainesville just to the north and beaches on both sides. You make life what you want it to be.
That's how I've always felt.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:24 PM

35 posts, read 122,911 times
Pretty good book store by the game stop and movie theater...Forget what its called...But its nice...Good prices..And you can trade books in..Its in the same plaza as the radio shack and staples..

Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 PM

97 posts, read 433,169 times
If you are ever in Crystal River this place is worth checking out. They buy, sell and trade books. It is my favorite used book store.
Poe House Books‎, 823 Northeast 5th Street (44), Crystal River, FL‎ - (352) 795-3887‎

Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 PM

I called the Humane Society today -- they'll accept my books at their thrift store. Since this is a no-kill shelter, I think it's the best use of my books.

And have you seen their billboard on Rt 200? A dog named Zozo Kerns? Oh, that darling face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala