U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 AM

57 posts, read 160,405 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to the Citrus County area how are the schools for my 12 year old daughter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 AM

749 posts, read 2,176,550 times
I'm having mixed thoughts about Citrus Springs Middle.

Pros: A newer school that has good reviews from sites that contain feedback from parents and students.

Ratings are 4-5 out of 5.

They changed my 6th graders bus stop to pick him up right in my front yard.

They have some after school activities like archery, sign language , tennis etc.

Cons: the place looks like a prison with steel bar gates surrounding the building. (This could be good though if they ever have to go on lockdown and probably helps to keep the kids from cutting class).

An 8th grader attacked my kid on the bus and when I met with staff they somehow played it off about how my kid was asking for it.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 PM

228 posts, read 820,056 times
My opinion.. but this is the worst school system I have ever seen!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,123 times
I lived in Citrus County when I was younger, I actually moved there when I was around the same age as your daughter. None of the schools there are terrible, especially compared to schools in large cities. If you can move somewhere other than Citrus County, I'd recommend going somewhere else. There's really nothing there.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 AM

97 posts, read 398,104 times
I have a daughter in 4th grade at the new Central Ridge Elem. and one in 6th grade at Crystal River Middle. We moved here from Maryland 2 years ago. Academically the schools down here are ahead of the MD schools. My girls both like going to school here and love their teachers. I thought Crystal River Middle did a good job of acclimating the 6th graders and parents to changing classes and meeting all the teachers. Overall we are happy with the school system here.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:25 AM

97 posts, read 398,104 times
I forgot to add, Crystal River Middle is an old school that has had additions to it over the years. With that being said, when you go inside it is clean and kept in good repair. Probably the worst thing about the school is the parking, it's very limited and it is a pain to pick up your child or go to events.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,467 times
I grew up in Citrus County, & unless your kid is definatly in the cool crowd, & you're willing to participate with every PTA meeting, shell out cash for every fundraiser, after school activity, and buy new clothes for all of the above on a monthly bases, you kid will be miserable, When I attended School here not only were the students bullies, but the teachers too, ( And being apart of the in crowd, I'm ashamed to admit that so was I.) It wasn't until I moved north that I got a clue on how normal people function in real communities, where there are options, activities & jobs outside of a closed circle minded community. And FYI, As a 12 year-old girl in Crystal River, not a single one of my friends or myself came out of 7th grade as Virgins, drug-free, or honor students. ( & no, our parents were not lazy un-caring slobs. WE JUST DIDN"T GET CAUGHT) Why? Because that is all there is to do there, screw, get high, and slack off. I love my family that still lives there, & if you look past the poverty, and dumpy lifestyles, there is a unique beauty, but I will never move back or subject my little one to all that.
~A mom who moved away.~

Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 AM

114 posts, read 223,541 times
I'm a recent graduate of Citrus High, my dad works for the school system, and I attended Inverness Middle School for one year.

The schools in Citrus County are like any school: you get what you and your child put into it. My family watched and complained for the first two years of my schooling, but then my brother and I became active within the music department and my parents became a presence at school functions, and the difference was night and day. I feel like I've made lifelong friends and connections in this county and although I've moved 400 miles away for college, I still keep in contact with not only my peers, but my teachers who actually care about my personal success and happiness, not just my FCAT scores or my AP scores. This is a small county with only three high schools, so yes you are an outsider looking in at first. I will say that a good majority of the teachers actually CARE about EDUCATING and will openly admit that the state's testing system is flawed.

I cannot speak for the other schools, but I know Citrus High School's fine arts are among the best in the state. We won State Championships in Marching band, our choir and drama consistently get rated superior at state competitions (against MUCH bigger schools with MUCH bigger budgets) and again, the teachers actually care. I talk to my former Chorus and Band teachers all the time as a mentor (I'm pursuing a career in music).

I would find what your teen likes to do and encourage them to become active in the school with that activity. I think Citrus County is unique in that it is big enough to have quality resources, but small enough to not be a rat race type community.

Another advantage: Citrus County was practically unscathed by the recent FL budget cuts. Our school board knows how to properly balance a budget and where to cut excess, and that's by keeping extracurriculars and good teachers and saving money where needed.

This is a very safe county. Is it boring? Yes, but it is very easy to entertain yourself around here if you're smart and find things to do.

I would highly recommend Citrus County, it's one of the best areas for the cost of living and I'm proud to call it my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or